OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:43:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have just finished reading Fr.Seraphim's book  (Read 270 times) Average Rating: 0
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: December 03, 2012, 07:28:48 PM »

"Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future"

Any comments on this book ?

(the epilogue to the fifth edition was particularly... "shocking" (Further Developments In The Formation Of The Religion Of The Future)

Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 12:16:11 AM »

It was the second Orthodox book I ever read (back in my 20s) and it made me absolutely furious….the arrogance, the ignorance. At the time I was a young and rather new Charismatic fully on board with it's belief that this new wave was restoring to the Church graces and power lost across the centuries. Fr. Seraphim wasn't even politely sympathetic, but was adamant the Church lacked nothing, had lost nothing and the stuff I was involved with was better described as Christian shamanism and not a move of the Holy Spirit. Like I said I was furious.

Fast forward over 20 years and I have seen both the highs and the lows of the Charismatic movement, I'm starting to get interested in liturgical worship and in what the Orthodox Church had to say about itself. I came across a reprint of a chapter of a book by Fr. Seraphim Rose. The name rang a bell, but I couldn't place it, the article/chapter that dealt with the Charismatic movement seemed thoughtful, well reasoned, insightful. In the article he pointed to various current in the Charismatic movement of his day and offered his thoughts one where this or that strain of thinking/teaching would end up, and I had to admit I had witnessed about 95 percent of what he had to say coming to pass. I had lived it, been in the middle of it…and that's when it struck me that this was the same author…the same text that had so enraged me 20 or so years before. What I once took for arrogance and ignorance, I now saw as clear-sightedness, depth, and wisdom.  I was an idiot.

Since then I have suspected that Fr. Seraphim of Platina had a hand in helping me to see and discover the Orthodox faith by way of making up for having made me so angry as an ignorant college boy. It was very kind of him to do so.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 06:50:20 AM »

I have read hundreds of books about Orthodoxy, and Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future would be in the top 10 worst.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »

I have read hundreds of books about Orthodoxy, and Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future would be in the top 10 worst.

Care to elaborate?

I've only read his biography, Vitae Patrum and Place of Blessed Augustine in the Orthodox Church and everyone seem to like all those three. I wonder whether I should avoid reading his other books since they all seem fairly controversial

Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:13:24 AM »

It has probably been in the neighborhood of 8-9 years since I last read it, so details are hazy. I just remember thinking that almost everything he had said 20+ years earlier had not come to pass. I'd have to go back and reread it to give specifics, and I no longer own the book. I will agree with you about the three you mention, that the one on Augustine is the one by him I like best, that the Fr. Damascene biography was interesting, and the Vita Patrum (the one of St. Gregory of Tours I think?) was also interesting.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 08:37:51 AM »

Much of the book seems to focus on charismatic displays found among Pentecostals & a few Catholics & seems excessive in its condemnation of these tendencies. Charismatics are not inherently raving & delusional although an old school Orthodox priest like Eusebius Stephanou (excessively condemned by Fr Seraphim) should not promote it to Orthodox laypersons. If all charismatics are what this book claims, then why does Fr Anthony Coniaris render a kind remark re the ministry of the late Pentecostal pastor Dave Wilkerson in his book: "Introducing the Orthodox Church"?  Who is this Wilkerson anyway? Well perhaps one might want to read his account of working with inner city gangs (ca. 1960) in New York in: "The Cross & the Switchblade" ; there is nothing of the anti Christ there.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: