OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 12:01:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remission/Forgiveness  (Read 237 times) Average Rating: 0
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« on: December 03, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »

a tweet from a friend of mine, who is studying to become a Protestant Church of Christ preacher, sent out this tweet, copied directly

"One of my goals: remove the word "remission" from our church vocab #itscalledforgiveness"

I know that there is some difference between the two words, an important one, but my question is:

From the Orthodox viewpoint, what's the difference between the two?

SCREW BON JOVI!
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »

Remission means stopped / cover up.  Not allowed to spread around.  Like a fungus in remission will not spread, but stops.  But it is still a fungus.

Forgiveness is a complicated definition, but it is proceeded by humbleness, repentance, sorrow, etc., from the sinner.  Forgiveness is a form of pardon often led in love and concern.  Forgiveness is a form of sympathy as well.  The nature of forgiveness is one of its own.  Forgiveness is also to "let go". 

I'm sure some can help elaborate.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:14:36 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »

Just my opinion, but I think afesin is more appropriately translated as "remission" than "forgiveness". The former seems to square more neatly with our theology of sin and redemption from same.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 12:49:13 AM »

I read from an Orthodox priest (don't remember which one) that remission was greater and more complete than forgiveness.

When it comes to the Protestant idea of imputed righteousness, where people are not made righteous but just seen that way by God, I suppose it would make sense for a Protestant to want to get rid of remission (as the greater, more complete).

Father Matthew the Poor said that, when Christ was crucified, water and blood flowed from his side--water to wash away sin, and blood to withhold its power. In my estimation, the water signifies baptism, and the blood the eucharist. And, in terms of this sort of discussion, water for forgiveness and blood for remission--although this isn't exact because we say both baptism and communion are for remission of sins--baptism for remission of sins in the creed, and communion unto remission of sins and eternal life in the Liturgy.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:51:26 AM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: