OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 12:47:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are Roman Catholics Always Trying to Jack our Swag?  (Read 4311 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: December 02, 2012, 07:03:53 PM »

It just seems like with almost every Roman Catholic I have met, whenever they discover that I am Orthodox, they end up acting real friendly and ecumenical--saying that we're "the same" or that the differences aren't really that big. The most false ecumenism I get comes from Roman Catholics--not even "non-denominationals" are as ecumenical as the Roman Catholics I have met. They're kind of like that annoying kid at school who no one in your group of friends really likes, but he still hangs around you and follows your group anyway acting like he's all a part of the gang and everything.

Is this sense of false ecumenism with the Orthodox a normal trend for Roman Catholics, or is it just something among the American Roman Catholic world? Like, maybe the reason they are so friendly and falsely ecumenical with the Orthodox is because we're both religious minorities in their eyes in the domain of Evangelical Protestantism?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 07:06:02 PM »

Aren't friendly Catholics better than the Fortescue type of Catholics?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:06:14 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »

I would be happy to give my opinion on the questions asked in the OP... once I figure out what the title means  Cool

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »

It just seems like with almost every Roman Catholic I have met, whenever they discover that I am Orthodox, they end up acting real friendly and ecumenical--saying that we're "the same" or that the differences aren't really that big. The most false ecumenism I get comes from Roman Catholics--not even "non-denominationals" are as ecumenical as the Roman Catholics I have met. They're kind of like that annoying kid at school who no one in your group of friends really likes, but he still hangs around you and follows your group anyway acting like he's all a part of the gang and everything.

I'd rather have that sort of Roman Catholic than an ultra trad that believes we're condemned to hellfire.

And non-denominationals are doctrinally Protestant (or some derivative), so of course they're less inclined to act like we're just the same - Orthodox are idolatrous with their cave paintings, after all. Wink
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:40:10 PM by Nephi » Logged

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »

Don't worry...I'm an RC and I don't feel ecumenical toward the EO. I used to a bit, but this forum brought me out of that. There are real differences that separate us.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »

It's true. I went to an OCA church this afternoon for lunch and I totally jacked all their baked mac n cheese. Plus half a bottle of zinfandel and 3 brochures about Orthodoxy. Sweet swag!!

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:22:57 PM »

No one on the corner has swagger like Orthodoxy, swagger like Orthodoxy........  laugh
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »

Swag is what I like to smoke Shocked

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »

Re: James' OP. Can I get a finger snap and a "Child, please!"??

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 09:24:27 PM »

Swag is what I like to smoke Shocked

Isn't that sCHwag not swag? It's been a while since I delt with those terms
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 09:51:21 PM »

They're kind of like that annoying kid at school who no one in your group of friends really likes, but he still hangs around you and follows your group anyway acting like he's all a part of the gang and everything.

Best description of the situation I ever heard.

The issue is that this is the non-official official discourse these days, even among some Orthodox. Here in Brazil, with the exception of the Russians, it's the rule of the line "the only difference is the filioque and pope, and even that is just a lame excuse for politics, but we're so loving and past that". It's common that anyone take communion - *anyone*, in some cases not even being a Christian.

Truth is that there is a certain kind of ecumenists who want to force union through a "ex post facto" strategy, that is, we will simply act as if we were already united - because the differences are "irrelevant" - and the lot of you gotta deal with it after it is already happening in fact. They know that study and conversation would forbid that, so let's just "skip" all this bureaucracy.

The "we are not that different at all" discourse is what fundaments and prepare people for this "ex post facto" union. The priests and lay people - Roman or Orthodox - who raise their hand to say it's wrong will be treated as evil unloving medievals because "everybody knows we're not that different".

Traditional schismastics think we are going to hell because they can't see what is common. Ecumenists think nobody is going to hell because they can't see what is different. I don't want any of these two schools.

Just on a sidenote, I do suppose that this discourse is an attempt at social engineering by some hierarchs and intellectuals in both sides.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:56:30 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »

Is there a middle ground consisting of people who know the differences are serious but want to keep the lines of communication open for charity's sake?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »

I know exactly what you mean, the only difference is that when I tell them I'm an old calendarist they either have no idea what I'm talking about or assume that I'm a matthewite and that I hate them or something and slowly back away.  I just don't understand anything in the RCs anymore...

Also, swag=Secretly We Are Gay... Just saying

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 10:21:19 PM »

1.    swag   
Orginally from the Scottish slang word "swagger" which was a description of the way some Scots walk (in a swaying motion), the word was then misinterpreted by the English as "the way someone presents themselves". Eg, whether someone looks cool.
The word quickly made its way to the states and has ever since become the catchphrase of I have no words to substitute what you wrote which was in clear violation of ethics and oc.net rules. -username! section moderator
Person 1: "I think that guy off Jersey Shore has swag"

swag1   [swag]  Show IPA noun, verb, swagged, swag·ging.
noun
a suspended wreath, garland, drapery, or the like, fastened up at or near each end and hanging down in the middle; festoon.
a wreath, spray, or cluster of foliage, flowers, or fruit.
a festoon, especially one very heavy toward the center.
a swale.
a swaying or lurching movement.
verb (used without object)
to move heavily or unsteadily from side to side or up and down; sway.
to hang loosely and heavily; sink down.

Know your Meme website:
“Swag” is an internet slang term often found in comments, discussion forums and image macros used as a synonym for “swagger,” a type of style or presence that exudes confidence and is sometimes interpreted as arrogance.

I know exactly what you mean, the only difference is that when I tell them I'm an old calendarist they either have no idea what I'm talking about or assume that I'm a matthewite and that I hate them or something and slowly back away.  I just don't understand anything in the RCs anymore...

Also, swag=Secretly We Are Gay... Just saying
You are hereby officially warned for 40 days per language. You ought to know better than to use foul language like that on a Christian forum.  If you feel you have not used curse words and that your mother would be totally happy with you using said language in front of your bishop then feel free to appeal it to the higher ups. -username! section moderator.  Also you can not copy and paste something without the link.  You have 24 hours to provide the link for the above definition or you will be placed on post moderation. 
 You were asked here to provide a link for the definition of swag you used.  You didn't comply to the 24hour request.  That was two violations in one post.  Welcome to 2 weeks post moderation. -username! Section moderator.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:23:14 PM by username! » Logged

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 10:24:18 PM »

and by "jack" I suppose it's hijack.

Translating from "Adolescenteese" to English the title of the thread could be

"Why are Roman Catholics always trying to act as if they had the same traits and characteristics that make us unique and special and as if we were the same thing?" hence the very proper comparison with the kid who wants to hang with the cooller older boys but has absolutely nothing to do with them, clueless about his own identity.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:26:39 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 10:26:51 PM »

I know exactly what you mean, the only difference is that when I tell them I'm an old calendarist they either have no idea what I'm talking about or assume that I'm a matthewite

So what jurisdiction are you?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »

James, high quality OP.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 10:43:50 PM »

Is this sense of false ecumenism with the Orthodox a normal trend for Roman Catholics, or is it just something among the American Roman Catholic world? Like, maybe the reason they are so friendly and falsely ecumenical with the Orthodox is because we're both religious minorities in their eyes in the domain of Evangelical Protestantism?
One of my really good friends is Roman Catholic, but he acts like a Protestant. He says we "are the same" too, and look we can partake of their eucharist as well.

Their eccelsiology is kinda screwed up.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:44:14 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 10:44:16 PM »

Speak for yourself Schismatic..........how's that better?  Grin

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 10:44:42 PM »

That's a first.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 10:45:39 PM »

One of my really good friends is Roman Catholic, but he acts like a Protestant. He says we "are the same" too, and look we can partake of their eucharist as well.
No, not really.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 10:48:31 PM »

No, not really.
We can't?

However, there are circumstances when non-Catholics may receive Communion from a Catholic priest. This is especially the case when it comes to Eastern Orthodox Christians, who share the same faith concerning the nature of the sacraments:

"Catholic ministers may licitly administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist and anointing of the sick to members of the oriental churches which do not have full Communion with the Catholic Church, if they ask on their own for the sacraments and are properly disposed. This holds also for members of other churches, which in the judgment of the Apostolic See are in the same condition as the oriental churches as far as these sacraments are concerned" (CIC 844 § 3).
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/who-can-receive-communion

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »

" maybe the reason they are so friendly and falsely ecumenical with the Orthodox is because we're both religious minorities in their eyes in the domain of Evangelical Protestantism?"- OP

What's this "we" stuff sucka, we outnumber you and the heretics two to one at least.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 10:52:06 PM »

What's this "we" stuff sucka, we outnumber you and the heretics two to one at least.

He means in the United States, I'm pretty sure.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:52:18 PM by Nephi » Logged

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 10:52:54 PM »

" maybe the reason they are so friendly and falsely ecumenical with the Orthodox is because we're both religious minorities in their eyes in the domain of Evangelical Protestantism?"- OP

not in this neck of the woods.  and there's a real question on your numbers in your stronghold (at least formerly) of Latin America.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »

No, not really.
We can't?

However, there are circumstances when non-Catholics may receive Communion from a Catholic priest. This is especially the case when it comes to Eastern Orthodox Christians, who share the same faith concerning the nature of the sacraments:

"Catholic ministers may licitly administer the sacraments of penance, Eucharist and anointing of the sick to members of the oriental churches which do not have full Communion with the Catholic Church, if they ask on their own for the sacraments and are properly disposed. This holds also for members of other churches, which in the judgment of the Apostolic See are in the same condition as the oriental churches as far as these sacraments are concerned" (CIC 844 § 3).
That's the Vatican's story. We don't buy it.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 10:56:46 PM »

No, not really.
We can't?

I know.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 10:58:08 PM »

not in this neck of the woods.  and there's a real question on your numbers in your stronghold (at least formerly) of Latin America.
Whatever we might have lost there, we've more than made up for it on the African continent. And the Far East.

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 10:59:21 PM »

No, not really.
We can't?

Post Vatican II drivel that is.

LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 11:01:51 PM »

Whatever we might have lost there, we've more than made up for it on the African continent. And the Far East.

If the measure of the truth of a faith depended on numbers, we would all be Arians.  police
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:02:10 PM by LBK » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »

No, not really.
We can't?

Post Vatican II drivel that is.
LOL.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 11:25:25 PM »

I know exactly what you mean, the only difference is that when I tell them I'm an old calendarist they either have no idea what I'm talking about or assume that I'm a matthewite

HOTCA

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 11:26:35 PM »

HOTCA

Makes difference.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 12:19:22 AM »

Yeah, yeah...calm down there, Yertle. You're safe today, no doubt. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Hoy Bolivia...domani a Roma!

Edit to JamesR: They act like that and say those things because they believe it, because that's the RC line; "We have nearly everything in common...", as one of their encyclicals said. I don't see it, but then I left that behind some time ago, so of course I wouldn't see it that way. Personally, I can't really imagine two more dissimilar churches, but hey...~450 (or ~1054) years of history isn't nothing, so it'd probably be best to use those times when you're annoyed at your RC friends' assertions to explain to them the Orthodox viewpoint on these matters. If you don't, maybe they'll never hear it and continue to believe the Vatican when they say that we're like two peas in a pod.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:23:29 AM by dzheremi » Logged

orthros

Faith: Melkite-Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 12:21:49 AM »

HOTCA

Makes difference.

I went to the HOTCA web site.  Are they considered Orthodox by most Orthodox?  It appears there are some disagreements between them and the (official?) Greek Orthodox.  I get a little muddled when trying to figure out which Churches commune with which other Churches.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 12:26:09 AM »

HOTCA is not in communion with any world Orthodox Churches.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 12:29:55 AM »

<3 I love you too you filthy Papist sucker, have fun being the Pope's slave in Hell Smiley

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »

So you would prefer we say you're all heretics and schismatics because you don't believe in the filioque and papal infallibility and immaculate conception?  Huh

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2012, 11:42:44 AM »

So you would prefer we say you're all heretics and schismatics because you don't believe in the filioque and papal infallibility and immaculate conception?  Huh

That would be sincere.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 11:47:07 AM »

Is there a middle ground consisting of people who know the differences are serious but want to keep the lines of communication open for charity's sake?
If there is, I'd be in it.

After all if the differences weren't serious then we wouldn't be out of communion, would we? But we can attempt to talk through them and maybe eventually one side will realize it is wrong. With God all things are possible, right?

But saying there isn't much difference over issues that were anathema-worthy at the time is highly disingenuous. And...adding the filioque unilaterally was clearly the biggest mistake Rome ever made.

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »

You might be surprised to find a lot of Roman Catholics who agree with you on that point, Justin.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 11:53:02 AM »

And here lies the big issue. Currently, Rome is unable to confess it made any mistake. John Paull II did apologize for some things, clearly opening precedents for people to accept that yes, Rome may commit mistakes. But as of now, to confess that a doctrine that existed in only one see by definition cannot be catholic, and yet, it was adopted as infallible, is far too much.

If there is, I'd be in it.

After all if the differences weren't serious then we wouldn't be out of communion, would we? But we can attempt to talk through them and maybe eventually one side will realize it is wrong. With God all things are possible, right?

But saying there isn't much difference over issues that were anathema-worthy at the time is highly disingenuous. And...adding the filioque unilaterally was clearly the biggest mistake Rome ever made.

Justin Kolodziej
Elder

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 11:56:08 AM »

That would be sincere.
Well we agree on one thing then. That would be consistent with what our Councils say.

Instead, seems like we Catholics are in an era of treating "infallible" Catholic ecumenical councils as not quite so infallible, even as far back as Chalcedon, for the sake of "promoting Christian unity". It's a bit of a denial that the Church is the mystical Body of the Way, the Truth and the Life, don't you think?

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 12:00:17 PM »

<3 I love you too you filthy Papist sucker, have fun being the Pope's slave in Hell Smiley
You know, it's comments like that , that make me want to go right out and join the Orthodox Church.......

Ahh, better yet, I'll hang out with Benedict and Satan for eternity.  Grin

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2012, 12:02:29 PM »

I really do feel bad for you James, if you have to endure the horrible experience of Catholics saying we have a lot in common. There is nothing worse than a Catholic who points out all the things that Eastern Orthodoxy and Catholicism have in common. In fact, what you should do is start crafting differences that don't exist for the purpose of throwing these Catholics off your trail.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: