OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 01:38:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are Roman Catholics Always Trying to Jack our Swag?  (Read 4664 times) Average Rating: 0
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »

Yes we are.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
choy
Archon

« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2012, 12:29:17 AM »

Most ultra-trads are ultramontanists.  They also believe that the Latin Rite is the only valid form of the faith, and that Eastern Catholicism is nothing but a transition phase to ease the Orthodox into the Roman Catholic Church.  But the goal is that they will be Roman Catholics.

Not meaning to get off topic, but I wish people on this forum would stop speaking of the "Latin Rite". I know it's commonly used, but it's just as incorrect as saying "the Melkite Rite" or "the Ukrainian Rite".

What should I use then?  RCs at CAF want to be called Latin Rite Catholics.  Like the Latin language and other silly complaints of Latins, they are preoccupied again with things that doesn't matter to their salvation.

Don't get me wrong, "Roman" and "Latin" are perfectly correct terms. The problem is only when people mix up "Rite" and "Church", and talk about "the Latin Rite" and "the Roman Church", instead of "the Latin Church" and "the Roman Rite". (Or, likewise, "the Melkite Rite" and other such errors.)

The Roman Rite refers to the Mass, not the Liturgical tradition.  Although a lot have taken to the term Latin Church because of this notion that Roman Catholic is somehow derogatory.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »

In some cases, the new Rome-affiliated churches even come with newly minted ethnicities or at least ethnoreligious identities (e.g., Chaldean, Maronite), making the situation even more confusing for the outsider.

I'm sure Abraham would agree with you.

Now Abraham was a member of the Chaldean Church, too?

Well I don't know about that.  I'm saying that he would have joined you in calling them a new ethnicity.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2012, 09:19:46 AM »

Although a lot have taken to the term Latin Church because of this notion that Roman Catholic is somehow derogatory.

Well alright, but notwithstanding their particular motivation, Latin Church is still the proper term. (For that matter, I there are also many of us who are motivated less by a desire to get the terms "Roman" and "Latin" right, than by a desire to get the terms "Rite" and "Church" right.)

Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2012, 07:28:23 AM »

Been out for some days. I copied and pasted and didn't see the word. For that I apologize.

Here's the original link:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=swag

1.    swag   
Orginally from the Scottish slang word "swagger" which was a description of the way some Scots walk (in a swaying motion), the word was then misinterpreted by the English as "the way someone presents themselves". Eg, whether someone looks cool.
The word quickly made its way to the states and has ever since become the catchphrase of I have no words to substitute what you wrote which was in clear violation of ethics and oc.net rules. -username! section moderator
Person 1: "I think that guy off Jersey Shore has swag"

swag1   [swag]  Show IPA noun, verb, swagged, swag·ging.
noun
a suspended wreath, garland, drapery, or the like, fastened up at or near each end and hanging down in the middle; festoon.
a wreath, spray, or cluster of foliage, flowers, or fruit.
a festoon, especially one very heavy toward the center.
a swale.
a swaying or lurching movement.
verb (used without object)
to move heavily or unsteadily from side to side or up and down; sway.
to hang loosely and heavily; sink down.

Know your Meme website:
“Swag” is an internet slang term often found in comments, discussion forums and image macros used as a synonym for “swagger,” a type of style or presence that exudes confidence and is sometimes interpreted as arrogance.

I know exactly what you mean, the only difference is that when I tell them I'm an old calendarist they either have no idea what I'm talking about or assume that I'm a matthewite and that I hate them or something and slowly back away.  I just don't understand anything in the RCs anymore...

Also, swag=Secretly We Are Gay... Just saying
You are hereby officially warned for 40 days per language. You ought to know better than to use foul language like that on a Christian forum.  If you feel you have not used curse words and that your mother would be totally happy with you using said language in front of your bishop then feel free to appeal it to the higher ups. -username! section moderator.  Also you can not copy and paste something without the link.  You have 24 hours to provide the link for the above definition or you will be placed on post moderation. 
 You were asked here to provide a link for the definition of swag you used.  You didn't comply to the 24hour request.  That was two violations in one post.  Welcome to 2 weeks post moderation. -username! Section moderator.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #140 on: December 29, 2012, 09:43:58 PM »

I nominate the title of this thread for the best thread title of the year.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #141 on: December 29, 2012, 09:53:16 PM »

I nominate the title of this thread for the best thread title of the year.

Seconded.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »

Seems to me the swag jacks both ways . Roll Eyes

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
orthros

Faith: Melkite-Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »

While I know this thread has been dead for a month and a half, I wanted to point out that the phrase "jack our swag" points to this thread as the # 4 overall result in Google.  Kudos!
erimos

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2013, 07:28:17 PM »

Swags are things you sleep in. A swagman is someone who carries a swag.

Tell your Latin friends to convert to Orthodoxy, if thy really thing there are no real differences. You will discover that they will find reasons not to.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #145 on: February 18, 2013, 10:57:51 AM »

Tell your Latin friends to convert to Orthodoxy, if thy really thing there are no real differences.

If someone thought that there were no differences, why would he/she abandon one group in order to join the other? (Unless we were talking about protestants, which we aren't.)

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #146 on: February 18, 2013, 11:02:31 AM »

Tell your Latin friends to convert to Orthodoxy, if thy really thing there are no real differences.

If someone thought that there were no differences, why would he/she abandon one group in order to join the other? (Unless we were talking about protestants, which we aren't.)

Why indeed would one go through a long catechumenate to join a group identical to the one you already belong to?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #147 on: February 18, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »

Why indeed would one go through a long catechumenate to join a group identical to the one you already belong to?

Is not-switching-sides really a matter of not wanting to be bothered with the procedure?

orthros

Faith: Melkite-Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2013, 12:13:51 PM »

Can't speak for anyone else, but there's too much at stake, eternally, to be put off by mere inconveniences once one is convinced of the Truth.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2013, 12:47:28 PM »

Can't speak for anyone else, but there's too much at stake, eternally, to be put off by mere inconveniences once one is convinced of the Truth.

Well, that does make sense; but I've already rejected the idea that not-switching-sides is a matter of not wanting to be bothered with the procedure, so ...

choy
Archon

« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2013, 01:59:02 PM »

On a very high level it does look like there is no difference between Roman Catholicism and Orthodoxy.  But is our faith merely a high level view and each Church through their own traditions can simply make stuff up in the details?  The more I learn of Orthodoxy, the more foreign it to Roman Catholicism, at least in my view.  Externally and mechanically there if very little difference.  But when we look at what all of these means and what we actually believe about each and every single thing in our faith, we are so far apart.

I'm not trying to promote division here.  Just being honest about how things are and what things are.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »

It just seems like with almost every Roman Catholic I have met, whenever they discover that I am Orthodox, they end up acting real friendly and ecumenical--saying that we're "the same" or that the differences aren't really that big. The most false ecumenism I get comes from Roman Catholics--not even "non-denominationals" are as ecumenical as the Roman Catholics I have met. They're kind of like that annoying kid at school who no one in your group of friends really likes, but he still hangs around you and follows your group anyway acting like he's all a part of the gang and everything.

Is this sense of false ecumenism with the Orthodox a normal trend for Roman Catholics, or is it just something among the American Roman Catholic world? Like, maybe the reason they are so friendly and falsely ecumenical with the Orthodox is because we're both religious minorities in their eyes in the domain of Evangelical Protestantism?
Speak for yourself Schismatic..........how's that better?  Grin
That's a first.
Not for me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:22:06 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »

I agree.  This is why I converted.....
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: