OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 11:19:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: do you spank your kids?  (Read 9917 times) Average Rating: 0
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: December 02, 2012, 12:18:12 AM »

Do you spank your kids, or are against?

Personally I am 100% against.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 12:34:48 AM »

Yes I did, and all three turned out quite well.  Personally, I really don't care whether you are for or against the practice.  I just hope that I don't have to shoot one of your kids one day because you didn't do your job raising them.  How is that for an opinion.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:36:34 AM by Punch » Logged

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:41:14 AM »

Personally, do you have kids?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 12:42:35 AM »

Yes I did, and all three turned out quite well.  Personally, I really don't care whether you are for or against the practice.  I just hope that I don't have to shoot one of your kids one day because you didn't do your job raising them.  How is that for an opinion.
Never did, but wasn't against it.  The need just never presented itself.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:54:34 AM »

In principle I'm generally against it as I don't think it's a productive method of discipline. Or maybe I just have a bad association of it because an abusive step-father used it on me. Though when I went to elementary school the principle paddled me more than once, and I don't have an issue with that (though of course that wouldn't happen today because the parents would sue or something). I don't think badly of people who spank their kids, I just think there are usually better solutions. The fact that I had girls (and petite girls at that) made our decision not to spank easier. However, despite this decision not to spank, we did sometimes spank them for lack of a better solution in a particular moment.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:00:12 AM »

Spank my girls rarely, as a last resort. More often it's when they hit each other, which has become infrequent. I think it works when they are young but about 6-7  there's rarely ever a need or use for it.. We have a baby boy now and I'm hoping that we've learned from our mistakes a bit with each kid... We are both more patient now.

Punch, I like your response. Namby pamby judgementalism doesn't fly. There is a use for spanking with patience and love. Time outs work to a point. Spanking works to a point. Love must be the driving force or nothing works. Anger should never take precedence. Prayer prevails.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:01:11 AM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 03:02:42 AM »

This.

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:16:59 AM »

When they need it and wish more people would.  I believe our "kinder/gentler" approach does not benefit our children.

BTW - Asteriktos, I am digging your new avatar.  "FIRE IT IN!"
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 06:26:22 AM »

This owns.

And coming from a cape buffalo, even better.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 07:03:45 AM »

When they need it and wish more people would.  I believe our "kinder/gentler" approach does not benefit our children.

BTW - Asteriktos, I am digging your new avatar.  "FIRE IT IN!"

Do you also promote physical attacks on adults who step out of line, or just people you know you can take?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:04:06 AM by JamesRottnek » Logged

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 07:07:15 AM »

When they need it and wish more people would.  I believe our "kinder/gentler" approach does not benefit our children.

Do you also promote physical attacks on adults who step out of line, or just people you know you can take?

Do you really expect a thoughtful response to this ingenuous post?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 07:10:37 AM »

Do you really expect a thoughtful response to this ingenuous post?

I'm wondering if you actually know what 'ingenuous' means?  All ingenuous posts deserve a thoughtful, honest, response.

I really recommend you review the meaning of the word, there are many online sources by which to do this.  Merriam-Webster, for instance, has an online dictionary, and there is also dictionary.com

P.S., I find it hilarious that you would use a word that once meant, essentially, noble, to suggest that my post is unworthy of thoughtful response.

EDIT: And no, I do not expect a thoughtful response from you.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:11:05 AM by JamesRottnek » Logged

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 07:19:12 AM »

I'm wondering if you actually know what 'ingenuous' means?  All ingenuous posts deserve a thoughtful, honest, response.
-obsolete: Noble, Honorable
-showing childlike simplicity
-lacking craft or subtlety

I really recommend you review the meaning of the word, there are many online sources by which to do this.  Merriam-Webster, for instance, has an online dictionary, and there is also dictionary.com

See above

P.S., I find it hilarious that you would use a word that once meant, essentially, noble, to suggest that my post is unworthy of thoughtful response.

You may want to take your own advice and research the definition yourself, from the source you supplied.  

Good.  When I provide them, you usually revert to some sort of childish (thus the word I used previously) response from a narrow viewpoint fueled by ideology, it’s wasted.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 07:20:37 AM by Kerdy » Logged
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 09:51:11 AM »

Whoa, the vibe in here is pretty snarky.  It is Sunday morning, let us love one another.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »

The Magazine Christianity Today has sometimes hosted Orthodox articles like "Q & A: Bishop Kallistos Ware on the Fullness and the Center". http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/july/fullnesscenter.html
The Magazine wrote an editorial on the subject, recommending avoiding hitting children:

Thou Shalt Not Abuse: Reconsidering Spanking

A Christianity Today editorial

On his blog, Webb notes that the [abusive] Pearls are surely more literal in applying [Old Testament] Scripture's parenting rules than [more "mainstream" advocates of hitting like] Dobson and others are. After all, the [OT] Bible does not put age limits on the rod, and seems to explicitly repudiate the repeated admonishment not to leave a bruise. "Blows and wounds scrub away evil," Proverbs 20:30 says, "and beatings purge the inmost being."

[Like Webb] We also believe it is more consistent with the full counsel of Scripture—in short, more biblical—to provide relief to people in pain than to actually "give strong drink to him who is perishing, and wine to him whose life is bitter" (Prov. 31:6, NASB). In the same way, it is more biblical to understand the praise of "the rod" as a reference to discipline than to limit its application to physical blows.

Mohler seems to miss the point that the consequences of human disobedience are legion, and that God's first and ultimate response to his children's rebellion is not to treat them violently. The Bible never forbids spanking. But Webb's case is convincing that the Bible does not require it. Given the risks involved—children's bodies are more fragile that an angry adult can fathom—we encourage parents to explore more creative and effective ways to train up our children in the way they should go.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/january/editorial-spanking-abuse.html?start=2
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 12:07:56 PM »

This owns.

And coming from a cape buffalo, even better.
seconded

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »

Most children around the age of ten or below--arguably a little younger or older depending on the specific child--lack the cognitive functions to understand any reasoning or "compromise" that you might try to make with them, thus, explaining to them why something is dangerous or harmful may not be entirely effective in preventing them from doing it again--thus leading to the endangerment of their health. In which case, I think that a rear-whipping might work wonders, pain speaks louder, it's the universal language that everyone of all ages understands. If your child does not understand your reasoning, then you can still be sure in most cases that they won't do the same bad/dangerous action again if you spank them for it because they are afraid of getting spanked again. Sure, it's a very primitive ethical disposition, but natural for children their age and most people outgrow it. I think Kohlberg mentioned it or something. Anyway, I'd argue that spanking works for children up until their cognitive abilities develop enough where you can reason with them and explain why something is bad, at that point I would say spanking becomes impractical.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 03:03:14 PM »

Whoa, the vibe in here is pretty snarky.  It is Sunday morning, let us love one another.

A kind word and a gun accomplishes more than a kind word alone.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »

If I've amounted to anything, it's probably been in spite of rather than because of physical discipline as a child. The holy fathers who speak of raising children, as opposed to those who misinterpret the Scriptures in order to justify themselves, emphasize the good example and prayers of parents as being more necessary and effective than lectures and physical discipline. Corrective words and actions also need to be separated from anger lest they produce worse results. In short, before a spanking, parents need first to employ other means. That said, physical discipline may still be necessary in some cases.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »

Yeah: more shootings.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 03:29:40 PM »

Well, the gun doesn't have to be fired or even loaded.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 03:31:47 PM »

Just brandishing a gun, even an empty one, is usually enough to get you arrested. I've seen almost every episode of "Cops."

Embarrassed
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 04:23:07 PM »

Just brandishing a gun, even an empty one, is usually enough to get you arrested. I've seen almost every episode of "Cops."

Embarrassed

LOL. That's assuming one does it in public. That's just stupid. If one is going to brandish a gun for purposes of intimidation and/or extracting needed information or compliance, standard practice is to have the person whose help you require tied to a chair in one's basement. Sadly, ever since the government lightbulb ban, one isn't always able to have a good bright light to shine in the person's face.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »

See above

You may want to take your own advice and research the definition yourself, from the source you supplied.  

Good.  When I provide them, you usually revert to some sort of childish (thus the word I used previously) response from a narrow viewpoint fueled by ideology, it’s wasted.

It is impossible for you to have seen a response of mine to a thoughtful response of yours, as I've never seen a thoughtful response from you.

Anyways, I'd really like to see the dictionary that defines 'ingenuous' as "showing childlike simplicity."  Merriam-Webster, for instance, tacks onto that phrase "and candidness."  Dictionary.com defines 'ingenuous' as "free from reserve, restraint, or dissimulation; candid; sincere."  Synonyms it lists are "frank, straightforward, open."  Merriam-Webster lists such synonyms as "genuine, honest, innocent, real, sincere, simple, unpretentious."  It lists such antonyms as "artificial, dishonest, insincere, guileful, dissimulating." 

So once more, I assert you do not know the definition of 'ingenuous.'

tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »

No. But I have 2 nieces who I am with all the time. I plan on adopting one though. Because I love kids more than adults. I feel I can communicate with them a lot better than with adults.

“God has no religion.”
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 06:57:25 PM »

I'm just going to come flat out and ask it, is old-fashioned parenting--ie, "sparing the rod hur hurr" and "abstinence only education!" really as affective as some people try to make it out to be? It seems like children who came from a highly traditional, religious household--admittedly Protestant opposed to Orthodox--seem to actually develop the most problems during adolescence from what I have observed. It seems like they are always the ones who get duped into having sex because their parents never properly taught them what it was, or they go out purposely to be promiscuous because they want to rebel against their parents and the like. I likewise know a lot of adults who were raised in that type of household who still get counseling to this very day about it and have unresolved, unhealthy relationships with their parents. Don't get me wrong, I support a good whuppin' to the old rear-end every once in a while--it works wonders on my younger siblings--but I still don't know if I agree entirely with the old-fashioned Protestant stereotypical parenting.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 07:04:04 PM »

I am not sure I get what you mean. However, I am with Jesus 100% on this.

Treat others the way you wish to be treated. I admit I can't follow it all the time. I follow it most of the time though. Unless I am feeling threatened. However, it doesn't happen often thankfully.
Also I think people who promote physical attacks on children, are usually (not always) just 98% of the time. Are the same people that will sue you and put some sauce on it, to get you as deeper into jail as possible, if you make the mistake to give them as much as a light smack in the face, for throwing tantrums. Now I haven't personally done that to anyone. But It has been my observation.

“God has no religion.”
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 07:07:14 PM »

Also I think people who promote physical attacks on children, are usually (not always) just 98% of the time. Are the same people that will sue you and put some sauce on it, to get you as deeper into jail as possible, if you make the mistake to give them as much as a light smack in the face, for throwing tantrums. Now I haven't personally done that to anyone. But It has been my observation.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »

The Magazine Christianity Today has sometimes hosted Orthodox articles like "Q & A: Bishop Kallistos Ware on the Fullness and the Center". http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/july/fullnesscenter.html
The Magazine wrote an editorial on the subject, recommending avoiding hitting children:

Thou Shalt Not Abuse: Reconsidering Spanking

A Christianity Today editorial

On his blog, Webb notes that the [abusive] Pearls are surely more literal in applying [Old Testament] Scripture's parenting rules than [more "mainstream" advocates of hitting like] Dobson and others are. After all, the [OT] Bible does not put age limits on the rod, and seems to explicitly repudiate the repeated admonishment not to leave a bruise. "Blows and wounds scrub away evil," Proverbs 20:30 says, "and beatings purge the inmost being."

[Like Webb] We also believe it is more consistent with the full counsel of Scripture—in short, more biblical—to provide relief to people in pain than to actually "give strong drink to him who is perishing, and wine to him whose life is bitter" (Prov. 31:6, NASB). In the same way, it is more biblical to understand the praise of "the rod" as a reference to discipline than to limit its application to physical blows.

Mohler seems to miss the point that the consequences of human disobedience are legion, and that God's first and ultimate response to his children's rebellion is not to treat them violently. The Bible never forbids spanking. But Webb's case is convincing that the Bible does not require it. Given the risks involved—children's bodies are more fragile that an angry adult can fathom—we encourage parents to explore more creative and effective ways to train up our children in the way they should go.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2012/january/editorial-spanking-abuse.html?start=2

There are 3 people that I hate with all that i am. The pearls and dobson. I am sure that now that you mentioned them, I will nightmares in my sleep. Because of these beasts. The people have no love whatsoever in their hearts.

“God has no religion.”
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2012, 07:19:01 PM »

Protestants have this weird fetish or something for spanking children

tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 07:20:33 PM »

I will agree only if this includes adults too. If it doesn't. I disagree 100%

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »

Embarrassed

Also, remember thou shall not kill. Especially when you claim to be a member of the true church of Christ. Who died for our sake instead of killing us.

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2012, 07:28:48 PM »

90% of parents do have that "fetish". are you sayng that 90% are protestants.

“God has no religion.”
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 07:40:10 PM »

90% of parents do have that "fetish".

Most people would consider it a hard limit...

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »

Do you have a safety word? Ours is "No, Daddy! I'm sorry!!!"

I'm going to need this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 07:52:23 PM »

It is the philosophical position of many that in a TPE (total power exchange) there should be no safety word. The slave must trust the master to stop when appropriate.  Cool

tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »

Do you have a safety word? Ours is "No, Daddy! I'm sorry!!!"

which is an answer to what? and by the way. I don't expect anything better from a cynical.

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 07:55:53 PM »

It is the philosophical position of many that in a TPE (total power exchange) there should be no safety word. The slave must trust the master to stop when appropriate.  Cool

We are not talking about slavery here. apparently this person is raising slaves though.

“God has no religion.”
Mokek Kwe

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 08:00:54 PM »

I do not believe that spanking is Christlike or effective in our home. I have spanked my child a few times, but it absolutely does not allign with my parenting values. I have become more self-disciplined lately (thanks to God), and haven't spanked in a long time.  Instead, I try to set boundaries for my child and talk her through things. She's 3.5 now (and we are going through- so far- the most difficult developmental stage yet, ugh!) and very able to express her feelings. Overall, I feel our approach works- we strive to give her grace and understanding- structure and boundaries without being punitive or permissive.
As parents, we all have rough moments and we are all on a journey of self-discovery.  It's never too late to change the dynamic of your home.

Baptized with my husband and our four year old daughter on May 4, 2013
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »

"Raising slaves". An interesting way to put it. Can a minor truly consent to slavery in such a context? But then this gets at the root of the problem--can anyone consent to such a relationship? Of course I am not speaking legally, as there is no question that it is not permitted. We are speaking of mere agreement between people here. Is it more untenable for a minor? I would argue yes, definitely. But then we are dealing with a subculture that has things like consensual-nonconsent, so it's a generally murky area to begin with.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 08:06:03 PM »

No. But I have 2 nieces who I am with all the time. I plan on adopting one though. Because I love kids more than adults. I feel I can communicate with them a lot better than with adults.
my warning signals just went off.

tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 08:07:14 PM »

what do you mean by hard limit?

“God has no religion.”
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »

what do you mean by hard limit?

Something that you are not willing or able to participate in. For example I have various hard limits related to acts that could cause long term or permanent physical markings or disfigurement (e.g., knife play, slave registry, etc.)

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »

I had to spank my little sister a few weeks ago for the very first time. It was horrible. I hated it and hope that I never have to do it again. I can definitely see why some parents wouldn't want to spank their children, but then again, sometimes it is all that works.

Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, 08:50:06 PM »

See above

It is impossible for you to have seen a response of mine to a thoughtful response of yours, as I've never seen a thoughtful response from you.

Anyways, I'd really like to see the dictionary that defines 'ingenuous' as "showing childlike simplicity."  Merriam-Webster, for instance, tacks onto that phrase "and candidness."  Dictionary.com defines 'ingenuous' as "free from reserve, restraint, or dissimulation; candid; sincere."  Synonyms it lists are "frank, straightforward, open."  Merriam-Webster lists such synonyms as "genuine, honest, innocent, real, sincere, simple, unpretentious."  It lists such antonyms as "artificial, dishonest, insincere, guileful, dissimulating." 

So once more, I assert you do not know the definition of 'ingenuous.'
Roll Eyes

Boring!  Moving on...
Tags: Kids  spanking Forgiving children I <3 hitting kids 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: