OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 04:56:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asperger's Dropped From Revised Diagnosis Manual  (Read 364 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 01, 2012, 11:08:28 PM »

Asperger, we hardly knew ye. First Pluto, now this?

The now familiar term "Asperger's disorder" is being dropped. And abnormally bad and frequent temper tantrums will be given a scientific-sounding diagnosis called DMDD. But "dyslexia" and other learning disorders remain.
One of the most hotly argued changes was how to define the various ranges of autism. Some advocates opposed the idea of dropping the specific diagnosis for Asperger's disorder. People with that disorder often have high intelligence and vast knowledge on narrow subjects but lack social skills. Some who have the condition embrace their quirkiness and vow to continue to use the label.
The new manual adds the term "autism spectrum disorder," which already is used by many experts in the field. Asperger's disorder will be dropped and incorporated under that umbrella diagnosis. The new category will include kids with severe autism, who often don't talk or interact, as well as those with milder forms.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:08:47 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Mokek Kwe

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:09:51 AM »

I feel like this is a big step backward. Sad

Baptized with my husband and our four year old daughter on May 4, 2013
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 06:39:34 AM »

Really? I don't think so. The government tried to diagnose me more than once with aspergers. That was nasty. Luckily they could never put me away like they wanted to.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 06:40:25 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 06:45:21 AM »

You're a one of a kind Cyrillic.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:18:27 AM »

How so? I am interested in your perspective.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:54:49 AM »

This isn't really anything new. Asperger's was always just one 'disorder' on the autistic spectrum as anyone who's studied abnormal/clinical psychology will know. Now if only the whole psychological community would go the whole hog and start looking at and treating specific symptoms and their causes rather than trying to parcel everything up into spurious syndromes we might get somewhere. The medical model is really not the best approach to take to psychological problems, the 'illness' known as schizophrenia being the perfect example of why this is so.

James
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:55:18 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:59:28 AM »

This isn't really anything new. Asperger's was always just one 'disorder' on the autistic spectrum as anyone who's studied abnormal/clinical psychology will know. Now if only the whole psychological community would go the whole hog and start looking at and treating specific symptoms and their causes rather than trying to parcel everything up into spurious syndromes we might get somewhere. The medical model is really not the best approach to take to psychological problems, the 'illness' known as schizophrenia being the perfect example of why this is so.

James
As I understand ADHD, Asperger's, and Autism are on the same spectrum. One of my friends has Asperger's. Her brain does not work quite like the majority. She would never get put away for it. I think it is good that she can have a diagnosis that makes sense of how her brain works differently.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:00:28 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 05:06:37 AM »

Compulsive hoarding has been added as a seperate disorder, previously it was grouped with OCD.

Proverbs 22:7
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:40:32 AM »

James
As I understand ADHD, Asperger's, and Autism are on the same spectrum. One of my friends has Asperger's. Her brain does not work quite like the majority. She would never get put away for it. I think it is good that she can have a diagnosis that makes sense of how her brain works differently.

My point was that the difference between two different people on the autistic spectrum is a difference of degree not a difference of kind. Many of the 'disorders' so beloved of things like the DSM are nothing more than convenient (often less than useful) groupings of symptoms - they're not illnesses in themselves in any meaningful sense. This is most clearly seen with something like schizophrenia where two patients can manifest such radically different symptoms that there is absolutely no common ground between their illnesses, but it's also certainly the case that Asperger's was never anything more than a convenient grouping within a continuous spectrum of autistic symptoms. This is not new thinking - I was being taught this back in the mid-90s - it just appears as though the diagnostic manuals might finally be catching up in some, though clearly not all, areas.

James
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:41:04 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 11:55:56 AM »

James

My point was that the difference between two different people on the autistic spectrum is a difference of degree not a difference of kind. Many of the 'disorders' so beloved of things like the DSM are nothing more than convenient (often less than useful) groupings of symptoms - they're not illnesses in themselves in any meaningful sense. This is most clearly seen with something like schizophrenia where two patients can manifest such radically different symptoms that there is absolutely no common ground between their illnesses, but it's also certainly the case that Asperger's was never anything more than a convenient grouping within a continuous spectrum of autistic symptoms. This is not new thinking - I was being taught this back in the mid-90s - it just appears as though the diagnostic manuals might finally be catching up in some, though clearly not all, areas.

James

I think in the case of Asperger's, DSM IV was useful. It was a step in the right direction.
The prior diagnosis for higher functioning autism in DSM III was 299.80: Pervasive developmental disorder NOS. This particular term results in the denial of medical insurance coverage. The term Asperger's clearly places the condition within the autistic spectrum.

Just my opinion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: