OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 12:41:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Made in the Image of God  (Read 261 times) Average Rating: 0
Scott

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: November 30, 2012, 06:22:35 PM »

I've read in Clark Carlton's book, The Life, that mankind is made in the image of God in three key ways; as a person he is free, unique, and relational.
My question is, if this is true, how are the heavenly hosts not made in the image of God? Are each one of them not free, unique, and relational?
Thanks!

"To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
Confucius
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:26:31 PM »

I've read in Clark Carlton's book, The Life, that mankind is made in the image of God in three key ways; as a person he is free, unique, and relational.
My question is, if this is true, how are the heavenly hosts not made in the image of God? Are each one of them not free, unique, and relational?
Thanks!

Any particular reason you are assuming that the heavenly hosts are not also made in the image of God? Given, for example, that St. Michael's name literally means 'who is like God'.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:34:13 PM »

Given, for example, that St. Michael's name literally means 'who is like God'.

No it doesn't. It means "who is like God?" The question mark is crucial here.
Scott

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:48:29 PM »

Thanks!

Any particular reason you are assuming that the heavenly hosts are not also made in the image of God? Given, for example, that St. Michael's name literally means 'who is like God'.

Yes. I was always taught, before and within Orthodoxy, that mankind is unique among all of God's creation: we are made in the image and likeness of God.
Since I came into Orthodoxy I learned that mankind has a greater destiny than I first believed. Those who will be saved will become more honorable than the Cherubim and more glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim. How could this be the case if mankind and the "angels" were both made in the image of God?

"To know is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
Confucius
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:07:11 PM »

Thanks!

Yes. I was always taught, before and within Orthodoxy, that mankind is unique among all of God's creation: we are made in the image and likeness of God.
Since I came into Orthodoxy I learned that mankind has a greater destiny than I first believed. Those who will be saved will become more honorable than the Cherubim and more glorious beyond compare than the Seraphim. How could this be the case if mankind and the "angels" were both made in the image of God?

Angels are not made in the image of God.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »

I was told we were created according to the image of god and that image is Christ. If that is true we would be unique.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »

Thanks!

Angels are not made in the image of God.

"He is Himself the Maker and Creator of the angels: for He brought them out of nothing into being and created them after His own image," - St. John of Damascus, an Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith.

It was always my understanding that it was the 'likeness' part of 'image and likeness' which was unique to the creation of Man.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 02:24:32 AM »

The image of God is to be understood in spiritual terms, not in physical terms. God is spirit. Man also has a spiritual component, and angels are only spirit (though, angels are not all-powerful spirits as God is). The image of God means that one has the same potential as God, that one is truly a son of God; of course, each according to his measure. The characteristics of this image are that one is a person, as God is Personal, and all the characteristics of a person: that one has free-will, rationality, responsibility, love, humility, etc.

Angels are most definitely made in the image of God. To say otherwise would place them in a category similar to animals. What angels do not have is bodies; thus, they are different than humans, but not that different as to not be real persons with real will-power.

The likeness of God has to do with how much creatures resemble God. Both man and angels are supposed to become like God through the process of theosis, which is infinite. So, the image of God is given by Him, but the likeness also depends upon the will of the creature, in addition to God's Grace that helps us become more and more like Him.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:30:01 AM by IoanC » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: