OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 09:56:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old Catholic Church  (Read 658 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: November 29, 2012, 06:15:55 AM »

What exactly is the story and situation with these guys? As far as I know, they are just Roman Catholics who refused to accept Papal Infallibility and the other decisions that came out of the Vatican Council of the 1870s or something. If this is truly the case, then why haven't we Orthodox made any attempt to reconcile them to us or "draw them east"--for lack of a better term?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Aedificare

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:33:11 AM »

It's mainly the first Vatican Council, for the majority. When they clearly defined 'ex cathedra'.

But it seems my local old catholic church is fully Orthodox, they don't accept filioque, RC original sin and more or less seem to be Orthodox. They even use Icons, not statues. This is in Norway by the way. I don't understand it, surely not all old Catholics are like this?

If this is truly the case, then why haven't we Orthodox made any attempt to reconcile them to us or "draw them east"--for lack of a better term?
Wouldn't that be Modernistic Ecumenism?   Grin
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 06:36:38 AM »

What exactly is the story and situation with these guys? As far as I know, they are just Roman Catholics who refused to accept Papal Infallibility and the other decisions that came out of the Vatican Council of the 1870s or something. If this is truly the case, then why haven't we Orthodox made any attempt to reconcile them to us or "draw them east"--for lack of a better term?

They are in union with the Anglicans (at least the churches within the Union of Utrecht are). That right there is an impediment in itself.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 06:49:13 AM »

Paging ialmisry.

Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »

I looked into them to see how they were doing now. They have started ordaining women and doing same-sex unions.  Sad

The Polish National Catholic Church and the Nordic Catholic Church reject that and have formed their own union outside the Union of Utrecht, though they have married bishops, and that would seem to be the only obstacle for them being Orthodox. But there may be some other issue I am unaware of.

Edit: To be clear, they are only in communion with each other, not the Utrecht Old Catholics, nor the Anglicans.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:06:42 PM by Justin Kolodziej » Logged

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »

If this is truly the case, then why haven't we Orthodox made any attempt to reconcile them to us or "draw them east"--for lack of a better term?

Answer #1: You know how the Orthodox are about ecumenism.

Answer #2: Would you really bother with them nowadays? (As already pointed out, they've become more liberal in the last couple decades, and the PNCC even broke off communion from them.)

Answer #3: I believe there has been some effort on both sides to improve relations (although probably not much in the last decade or so) even if we never heard much about it. Keep in mind that the Old Catholics are a relatively small group, so dialogue with them isn't exactly front-page news.
I'm pretty sure Bishop Kallistos Ware mentions them in The Orthodox Church.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:26:48 PM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
izrima

Faith: Raised Catholic, Inquiring Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rome/OCA

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 12:31:38 PM »

He does. I was a lifelong Catholic and that was the first I'd ever heard of the Old Catholic Church. My impression from reading Met. Kallistos's book was that notions of communion had been strong early on but faded over time.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 12:38:28 PM »

The first western rite projects involved some converted Old Catholics who later left the Orthodox communion, and their modern-day descendants in the U.S. are the result of their claim to Orthodox lineage of "valid ordination."

The two names you see here, Vilatte and Harris, are almost listed in the present alleged Old Catholic pedigrees:

In 1890 a Swiss Old Catholic parish in Wisconsin, pastored by Fr Joseph Rene Vilatte, was received by Bp Vladimir (Sokolovsky); however, Fr Vilatte soon led the church into Old Catholicism. In 1911 Arnold Harris Mathew, an Old Catholic bishop, entered into union with the Patriarchate of Antioch, but parted ways soon after, leaving behind a model for future Western Rite groupings to join Orthodoxy. In 1926 the six-parish Polish Catholic National Church was received into the Polish Orthodox Church, flourishing until wiped out by the Nazi's. Source.

The modern Utrecht union is comparable in theological liberalism to the U.S. mainline churches.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:39:35 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »

I cannot recall at what time (something tells me it was at sometime during Patriarch Athenagoras' patriarchy), but there was a dialogue between the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Old Catholic Church.  I don't know what were the results of that dialogue.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:35:55 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
choy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »

The Old Catholics are a curious bunch.  I guess like Anglicans, there are some who are more conservative, and thus "orthodox", either from an Orthodox point-of-view or a Traditional Roman Catholic point-of-view.  And of course there are those who have become liberal and who will ordain anyone and anything.  Funny how so many wanna-be Roman Catholic groups trace their "valid ordinations" to an Old Catholic bishop.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 02:27:32 PM »

He does. I was a lifelong Catholic and that was the first I'd ever heard of the Old Catholic Church.

Oddly enough, I too can recall the very first time I heard of Old Catholics.

Back in grad school I had two housemates who went to an Eastern Catholic parish ... well, you probably don't want to hear about the first time I went to an EC parish; but anyhow another time one of those fellows mentioned a conversation about religion that he had involved in online (another concept I wasn't very familiar with at the time) and mentioned that one of the participants was an Old Catholic priest. Then he had to stop and explain b/c the rest of us heard "old Catholic priest".

choy
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »

He does. I was a lifelong Catholic and that was the first I'd ever heard of the Old Catholic Church.

Oddly enough, I too can recall the very first time I heard of Old Catholics.

Back in grad school I had two housemates who went to an Eastern Catholic parish ... well, you probably don't want to hear about the first time I went to an EC parish; but anyhow another time one of those fellows mentioned a conversation about religion that he had involved in online (another concept I wasn't very familiar with at the time) and mentioned that one of the participants was an Old Catholic priest. Then he had to stop and explain b/c the rest of us heard "old Catholic priest".

Same here.  Lifelong Catholic and only recently did I hear about them.  But I am surprised to learn that many of the pseudo-Catholic churches in the Philippines have sought "valid ordinations" from Old Catholic bishops.  And they are in communion with them.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »

It's interesting that virtually all schismatic groups that leave our Church end up doctrinally drifting toward the liberal, Anglican-esque side. I am surprised that no groups that leave Rome for one reason or another end up uniting with Eastern Orthodoxy. After all, it is closer to the Catholicism that they are used to, minus communion with Pope Benedict XVI. You would think more breakaway groups would take an interest in the EOC for that reason.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »

It's interesting that virtually all schismatic groups that leave our Church end up doctrinally drifting toward the liberal, Anglican-esque side. I am surprised that no groups that leave Rome for one reason or another end up uniting with Eastern Orthodoxy. After all, it is closer to the Catholicism that they are used to, minus communion with Pope Benedict XVI. You would think more breakaway groups would take an interest in the EOC for that reason.
The correspondence between the Lutherans at Tubingen and the Patriarch of Constantinople show that the imprint of the Vatican's heresies run deep.  Odd how they will continue to defend the filioque.

The Utroquists/Hussites went that direction when they were beginning to shake free of the Vatican. Some did join.  Some of those who didn't did later, and formed a core of the Orthodox Church of Czechoslovakia (the others being returnees to Orthodoxy from submission to the Vatican).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »

A couple of Old Catholic  parishes joined the Polish Church in 1926.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »

A couple of Old Catholic  parishes joined the Polish Church in 1926.

Yes, but I think he is thinking as a corporate body.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 03:32:40 PM »

I looked into them to see how they were doing now. They have started ordaining women and doing same-sex unions.  Sad

The Polish National Catholic Church and the Nordic Catholic Church reject that and have formed their own union outside the Union of Utrecht, though they have married bishops, and that would seem to be the only obstacle for them being Orthodox. But there may be some other issue I am unaware of.

Edit: To be clear, they are only in communion with each other, not the Utrecht Old Catholics, nor the Anglicans.

The Slovak Old Catholic Church also left the Utrecht Union.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 06:25:59 PM »

In my humble opinion, there's such a thing as being too unecumenical (or anti-ecumenical). Union, for the Orthodox, can only mean unconditional surrender.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »

With the notable exceptions of the sedevacantists and conclave traditionalists, both of which tend to be very conservative.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: