OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:01:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Book on/about Theotokos  (Read 674 times) Average Rating: 0
NMHS
Site Supporter

Jurisdiction: UOC

« on: November 30, 2012, 04:18:39 PM »

Any suggestions.  I found one by St John Maximovich but its little expensive on amazon.............$899.00
Delphine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »

Any suggestions.  I found one by St John Maximovich but its little expensive on amazon.............$899.00

If you want that particular book for $890 cheaper, you can find it on the publisher's website here.
NMHS
Site Supporter

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:31:19 PM »

Thanks!  880.00 cheaper
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:25:37 AM »

I really like that book by St. John. 

Another good one is "Against Those Who Are Unwilling to Confess that the Holy Virgin is Theotokos" by St. Cyril of Alexandria.

Published by Orthodox Research Institute ISBN: 0-9745618-7-8

It has the text in both Greek and English. 

I'm not sure what we can say here, but I got my copy from the parish bookstore.  It is also available on Amazon and probably through the publisher.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 01:44:06 AM »

Can be purchased at Eastern Christian Supply Company...
The Life of the Virgin Mary, the Theotokos, by Holy Apostles Convent
The Assumption of Our Most Holy Lady, the Mother of God and Ever-Virgin Mary, by Holy Trinity Monastery

As part of St. Vladimir's Popular Patristics series...
Mary the Mother of God: Sermons, by St. Gregory Palamas
On the Dormition of Mary, by various Church Fathers
On the Mother of God, by Jacob of Serug
Wider Than Heaven: Eighth-century Homilies on the Mother of God, by various Church Fathers

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:12:31 AM »

The Assumption of Our Most Holy Lady, the Mother of God and Ever-Virgin Mary, by Holy Trinity Monastery

What is the basis of the above works?  Are they more story like in a pious way?

As part of St. Vladimir's Popular Patristics series...
On the Dormition of Mary, by various Church Fathers
On the Mother of God, by Jacob of Serug
Wider Than Heaven: Eighth-century Homilies on the Mother of God, by various Church Fathers

These look quite interesting.  St. Palamas compilation of Homilies by Mount Thabor publishing has a few homilies about her, but I haven't see the an entire book of his homilies about her. 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:44:27 AM »

I have not read the one about the Assumption. The one by Holy Apostles Convent I read years ago, but I think I remember the jist of it. It is very traditionally-minded, and is more pious/popular and less academic, although they do make an effort to name sources and such from what I remember. It's somewhat expensive, but it's a fairly lengthy text. I'd recommend it if you really want a good overview of the traditional understanding of the Theotokos.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Clare G.

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 06:25:52 AM »

St. Palamas compilation of Homilies by Mount Thabor publishing has a few homilies about her, but I haven't see an eentire book of his homilies about her. 

As you will see from this page http://thaborian.com/gpal.html, the Mount Thabor hardback includes all the homilies about the Mother of God previously published in the separate volume referred to above.
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 09:46:30 AM »

As you will see from this page http://thaborian.com/gpal.html, the Mount Thabor hardback includes all the homilies about the Mother of God previously published in the separate volume referred to above.

Thanks Clare, that's good to know.  Seems to me to be a very good compilation of homilies. 

I hope the person who originally asked the question finds what they are looking for.

Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »

I have not read the one about the Assumption. The one by Holy Apostles Convent I read years ago, but I think I remember the jist of it. It is very traditionally-minded, and is more pious/popular and less academic, although they do make an effort to name sources and such from what I remember. It's somewhat expensive, but it's a fairly lengthy text. I'd recommend it if you really want a good overview of the traditional understanding of the Theotokos.

Yes, Holy Apostles Convent, they've got a number of books out, and have a nicely bound set of books on the saints;  they are of good quality so they aren't bargain bin prices. 

I enjoy their Orthodox New Testaments with notes. 

Thanks for your suggestions on books about the Theotokos. 
NMHS
Site Supporter

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 05:40:54 PM »

Thanks everyone for the additional reading suggestions. 
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The San Franciscan Orthodox Church of New York, Big Apple and Fourth Rome

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 06:51:19 PM »

I have a friend who has it, I know it draws heavily from the Protoevangelium of James.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: