OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 08:53:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Departed souls and ghosts  (Read 328 times) Average Rating: 0
MichaelArchangelos

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« on: December 01, 2012, 05:26:40 AM »

I did a search for threads about ghosts on this forum and I had a look at a couple of them.

What I want to know is, is it possible for the soul of a departed person to manifest itself after death to people on earth to ask for prayers? Such a possibility seems to be affirmed by Roman Catholics that souls in Purgatory can manifest themselves to ask for prayers. There is a "Purgatory Museum" in Rome which contains artefacts that have burnt hand prints imprinted on them as "proof" that a soul in Purgatory has visited. I remember reading about Borley Rectory, a haunted house in England, and mysterious writing appeared on a wall. One of the things written is "Marianne (the rector's wife) light mass prayers". This seems to fit with a departed soul requesting prayers.

I know that Orthodox Christians don't believe in the Roman Catholic teaching of Purgatory, but you do pray for the dead. So, according to Orthodox teaching, is it possible for departed souls to appear to the living to request prayers, or to make their presence known by moving things, etc?

I know that some paranormal activity is definitely caused by demons, but saying that it is all demonic does not explain why a ghost disappears after his/her bones are found and given a proper burial.
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »

I did a search for threads about ghosts on this forum and I had a look at a couple of them.

What I want to know is, is it possible for the soul of a departed person to manifest itself after death to people on earth to ask for prayers? Such a possibility seems to be affirmed by Roman Catholics that souls in Purgatory can manifest themselves to ask for prayers. There is a "Purgatory Museum" in Rome which contains artefacts that have burnt hand prints imprinted on them as "proof" that a soul in Purgatory has visited. I remember reading about Borley Rectory, a haunted house in England, and mysterious writing appeared on a wall. One of the things written is "Marianne (the rector's wife) light mass prayers". This seems to fit with a departed soul requesting prayers.

I know that Orthodox Christians don't believe in the Roman Catholic teaching of Purgatory, but you do pray for the dead. So, according to Orthodox teaching, is it possible for departed souls to appear to the living to request prayers, or to make their presence known by moving things, etc?

I know that some paranormal activity is definitely caused by demons, but saying that it is all demonic does not explain why a ghost disappears after his/her bones are found and given a proper burial.

There are many reports of Orthodox Saints showing up and interacting with people or ministering to them, Saint John Maximovitch and Saint Nectarios come to mind and also Fr. Seraphims Rose.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 01:56:17 PM »

There are many reports of Orthodox Saints showing up and interacting with people or ministering to them, Saint John Maximovitch and Saint Nectarios come to mind and also Fr. Seraphims Rose.
Fr. Seraphim Rose has appeared before people?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »

while the dead in Heaven are still active in our community, demons also like to play with peoples emotions and will pretend to be "ghosts" of the recently departed in order to torment/confuse us or to get attention...

this is made by a protestant but in this video I think he hits the nail on the head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lvCUeJyYu0

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »

Fr. Seraphim Rose has appeared before people?

Yes, to a woman visiting Plantina. She is a nurse and told him that she was so sorry she had not met him in life because she thought she could have helped him with his stomach problems. He told her that he is with God now and happy... Something like that. 

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: