OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:07:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meaning of a Certitude Verses  (Read 273 times) Average Rating: 0
Seraphim98
High Elder

« on: November 30, 2012, 01:50:56 AM »

I have a question for clergy or others who might know.

The reader leader of our parish was talking about reading certitude verses and prayers of thanksgiving on the dates readers were scheduled to read.

I may well know what he's talking about but I don't quite recognize the terms in the context of reading the epistles.

What are "certitude verses"? and what are "Prayers of thanksgiving" as they relate to the task/preparation of a reader to read? Are these things done in the service or as part of a reader's preparation?

I know of prayers before reading scripture, and various prayers thanking God or the saints for this or that…but his comment sounded very specific. The only thanksgiving prayers that come to mind are those at the end of the service after taking Communion. I tried to google certitude verses but it just brought up a bunch of stuff about the Bahai…so any help or clarification would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:53:38 AM by Seraphim98 » Logged
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »

Never heard the term certitude in conjunction with Orthodox liturgical practices.

I would almost bet $100 that this guy is a convert, and he is bringing in terminology from his former life.

Joseph
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 12:28:33 PM »

he is a convert, but a long term one, most in my parish are.  Certitude turned out to be an autocorrect error for Beattitude. He meant Beatitude verses. I still am not much better informed though. I know we sing the beatitudes during the Liturgy, but I'm not sure what the Beatitude verses are (I don't sing in the choir, maybe if I did I would know).
Tags: readers  prayer  liturgy  reading 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: