OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 11:10:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do Sola Scriptura Protestants Believe in the Trinity?  (Read 6553 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: November 30, 2012, 01:27:03 AM »

Just a question out of curiousity. Why do Protestant sects who adhere to Sola-Scriptura--that is, Bible Only, believe in the doctrine of the Trinity? The Trinity was developed by the Church and is never explicitely explained in the Bible. Sure, it may have been briefly implied in certain instances, but there are not any smoking-gun proof passages in the Bible that support the Trinity as far as I know. Most of the purely Biblical arguments in support of the Trinity seem rather unconvincing and built more on speculation than the actual Bible to be honest. I don't see how you can believe these arguments and believe in the Trinity UNLESS you accepted the authority of the Church and extra-biblical sources--something that most Protestant sects refuse to do.

In a sense, it seems like as time goes on, more and more Protestants are actually trying to return back to the Sacraments, fasts and "traditional Christianity"--yet, they are doing it by trying to isolate the Church from it and desperately trying to form these strange, enourmously implicit arguments to prove that their practice is "rooted in the Bible" by twisting, isolating and using even the most basic, obscure, shortest passage there is in the Bible in ways that you would never think to use that scripture before, in order to support some odd theological practice that is more rooted in speculation and a desire for order than actually in the Bible. Such as the "Daniel Fast"--which is a half-butted attempt at having their own form of the Church's official Lent, to all these weird "spiritual retreat Jesus camp" thingys that seem to be a knockoff of the Church's monastic practices, to belief in the doctrine of the Trinity--which is purely rooted in the Church.

How long till they throw in the towel and just return back to proper Christianity instead of all these desperate attempts to recreate it?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:19:10 AM »

Okay, an attempt at a relatively simple answer based on my experience. One, many Protestants believe strongly the Roman Church is wrong. Two, many Protestants have never heard of the Eastern Orthodox Church or if they have only a cursory exposure to it, believe it to be virtually the same as the Roman Church, see point one. None the less, three, they have their own tradition to follow even if many may not realize that. Four, their tradition springs from the Reformers who generally had some very specific things they were rejecting about the Roman Church, of which things the Trinity was not one. Five, they feel drawn back to the old ways because that as they way God intended things to be in the first place. But, six, see points one and two.  So, seven, what else are they to do to regain the old ways with the limited resources available to them. This of course is not all Protestants and is based on my experience and observations as a former Protestant minister. Your milage may vary.

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
Nathanael
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 06:25:07 AM »

Maybe God has still mercy on their mind and he enlightens it although it's "against" the Bible?!

Good question.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:26:05 AM by Nathanael » Logged

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 12:44:10 PM »

There is an interesting chart on this page.

http://bible-truth.org/Trinity.html

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:48:17 PM »

You can easily find the Trinity in the Scriptures, unless you're reading with blindfolds on, that is.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »

You can easily find the Trinity in the Scriptures, unless you're reading with blindfolds on, that is.

Then non trinitarian Christians would be blinding themselves on purpose?, I'm inclined to agree with that question myself
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »

Then non trinitarian Christians would be blinding themselves on purpose?, I'm inclined to agree with that question myself

They would have to rip out (or intentionally mistranslate) the first chapter of John at the very least.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:54:02 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »

There are 2.2 Billion Christians in the world, a very small percentage don't believe in the trinity. The vast majority of that 2.2 billion (probably 95+ percent) faithfully believe in the trinity.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:00:59 PM by Happy Lutheran » Logged

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 01:04:41 PM »

Jehovah Witness does not believe in Trinity.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:05:48 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »

Their impiety is widely known, yes.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »

I just looked at the numbers, Jehovah Witness and Mormons combined are about 1% of that 2.2 Billion number.

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 01:35:25 PM »

I just looked at the numbers, Jehovah Witness and Mormons combined are about 1% of that 2.2 Billion number.
Huh Since when are Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons Christian?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I actually agree but I'm pretty sure they are included in the numbers I posted plus Walter brought them up which is what I responded to.

soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 01:59:41 PM »

And according to current Mormon thought they are, and didn't a well known evangelical say they were just recently.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »

They aren't.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 02:34:51 PM »

Where can a reasonable line be drawn? When does a group pass from Christian to non-Christian
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »

Where can a reasonable line be drawn? When does a group pass from Christian to non-Christian

Are Muslims Christians?

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Frederic

Faith: Roman Catholicism > Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Antioch

St Frederick of Utrecht

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 02:46:49 PM »

Let us open a KJ Bible. For example 1 John 5:7

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Is not it evident? angel 

(Some people will understand why I am grinning. I cannot help laughing. Grin )

«One cannot understand the least thing about modern civilization if one does not first realize that it is a universal conspiracy to destroy the inner life.» (George Bernanos)
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 02:54:01 PM »

Let us open a KJ Bible. For example 1 John 5:7

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Is not it evident? angel 

(Some people will understand why I am grinning. I cannot help laughing. Grin )

Smiley

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 03:01:26 PM »

well duh!!!! They are not even christians.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 03:17:12 PM »

I am very hesitant to extend the title of Christian to anyone outside of Orthodoxy. I realize this is a rather unpopular thing to say.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 03:19:43 PM »

Didn't our fathers get together and write some kind of creed to answer this question? Grin

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 03:21:13 PM »

Didn't our fathers get together and write some kind of creed to answer this question? Grin

But what to do about those that recite a different version?

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »

Yes and then that would exclude, anyone outside the apostolic church, so that leave many groups falling outside the line of Christian, if this is truely the case then many many many people are in danger, This I believe  includes myself.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 04:32:11 PM »

Yes and then that would exclude, anyone outside the apostolic church, so that leave many groups falling outside the line of Christian, if this is truely the case then many many many people are in dainger, This I believe  includes myself.
The doors are always open, brother. Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

Uriel

Faith: Christian of Baptist / House Church background
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »

Coming from a protestant background, I became convinced of a roughly orthodox understanding of Heaven and Hell, based on Scripture alone (it came as a big surprise to me that when I later discovered that other Christians already believed this).

Likewise, if you take all scripture, Old and New Testaments, as inspired and essential for establishing doctrine, the basic three in one and one in three is a reasonable conclusion to come to. Having said that, I'm not sure "without mixing, "without separation" etc is quite so obvious.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 04:49:16 PM »

Coming from a protestant background, I became convinced of a roughly orthodox understanding of Heaven and Hell, based on Scripture alone (it came as a big surprise to me that when I later discovered that other Christians already believed this).

Orthodox understanding of Heaven and Hell is a suprise to me as well.Hell  describe as a place which god(s) create(s) in order to punish and torture the devils and wicked men in the Protestant , Catholic , Islam , Buddism or even all traditional myths in different countries.And all savage and voilence torments that you can think are in the Hell!

Only Orthodox does not hold this notion of Hell!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:05:55 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »

Probably because they recognise the theological importance of the doctrine, in terms of the incarnation, the person of Christ and various other factors. Though the sola scripturist would moan at a unitarian (for good reason mind you), without the constant tradition of the church their argument falls flat.

Thank you.
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 06:40:15 PM »

"Sola Scriptura" doesn't mean that the Bible is the only source of teaching and doctrine. It means that it is the only infallible source(I know you folks hate that word) and that all that is necessary for salvation can be found within it.
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 07:14:35 PM »

"Sola Scriptura" doesn't mean that the Bible is the only source of teaching and doctrine. It means that it is the only infallible source(I know you folks hate that word) and that all that is necessary for salvation can be found within it.

I believe I'd give you that point. I also believe many of my Protestant friends would not, at least at first glance. Though I do think some would likely be open minded enough to hear you out and agree after some consideration. Others, not so much.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 09:44:07 PM »

If that's so (and I'm sure you know there are Protestants who will disagree with you on that), then why do they have the fallible interpret the infallible? BTW, I hate the word folks. Wink

In Christ,
Andrew

Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 11:20:42 PM »

Can we define infallible please!?!
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 11:39:59 PM »

"Sola Scriptura" doesn't mean tht the Bible is the only source of teaching and doctrine. It means that it is the only infallible source(I know you folks hate that word) and that all that is necessary for salvation can be found within it.

The Scripture is the the word of God, so what the bible say and the teaching in it must be 100% correct.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:44:22 PM by walter1234 » Logged
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 12:51:46 AM »

Unable to err.

Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 12:53:10 AM »

"Sola Scriptura" doesn't mean tht the Bible is the only source of teaching and doctrine. It means that it is the only infallible source(I know you folks hate that word) and that all that is necessary for salvation can be found within it.

The Scripture is the the word of God, so what the bible say and the teaching in it must be 100% correct.

Scandalous!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 01:38:06 AM »

Your reasoning seems kinda circular to me. You consider Mormons and JW's non-Christian because they don't believe in the Trinity, which then leads you to exclude them from the list of Christians who don't believe in the Trinity because they (Mormons and JW's) are not Christian.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:40:01 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Maximum Bob
Archon

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 02:04:05 AM »

Your reasoning seems kinda circular to me. You consider Mormons and JW's non-Christian because they don't believe in the Trinity, which then leads you to exclude them from the list of Christians who don't believe in the Trinity because they (Mormons and JW's) are not Christian.
Yeah, I think I would go with something along the lines of non-Trinitarian heretical Christian sect.

walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 07:10:59 AM »

Scandalous!
This is exactly what Protestant teaches!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:11:16 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Nathanael
Elder

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 12:11:02 PM »

Only Orthodox does not hold this notion of Hell!
What sort of hell does the orthodox church exactly have?

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
neon_knights
High Elder

My political hero.

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 11:32:52 PM »

Scandalous!

He was being sarcastic.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2012, 01:58:26 AM »

Scandalous!

He was being sarcastic.
Protestant say that Bible is the word of God,    and claim that Holy spirit would guide them to read and interpret the Scriptures Cool  , So, bible is infallible.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:16:49 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 02:46:11 AM »

But among various Protestant denominations and individual Church, their interpretation of Scripture are still difference and even contradict with each other under the guidance of the same Holy Spirit.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:47:59 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2012, 08:18:19 AM »

Just a question out of curiousity. Why do Protestant sects who adhere to Sola-Scriptura--that is, Bible Only, believe in the doctrine of the Trinity?

Hi James. The difficulty with questions like ^^ this is that protestants are not one group. (So it's kind of like asking "What do non-Americans think about democracy?") The fact that you limited your question to protestants who adhere to Sola-Scriptura helps a little, since it excludes e.g. Anglo-Catholics.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2012, 10:54:07 AM »

Just a question out of curiousity. Why do Protestant sects who adhere to Sola-Scriptura--that is, Bible Only, believe in the doctrine of the Trinity?

Hi James. The difficulty with questions like ^^ this is that protestants are not one group. (So it's kind of like asking "What do non-Americans think about democracy?") The fact that you limited your question to protestants who adhere to Sola-Scriptura helps a little, since it excludes e.g. Anglo-Catholics.
I didn't think he was talking about them as one group. It seems like he qualified it pretty well (using "Protestant sects who adhere to Sola Scriptura").

In Christ,
Andrew

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2012, 11:04:18 AM »

I didn't think he was talking about them as one group. It seems like he qualified it pretty well (using "Protestant sects who adhere to Sola Scriptura").

In Christ,
Andrew

Yes. As I said, that helps a little, since it excludes e.g. Anglo-Catholics.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: