OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 08:07:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what do you think about the law of attraction?  (Read 1446 times) Average Rating: 0
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: November 29, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »

also I have another question. You can answer whichever one you want. But I would like answers for both.

Is it true that the first christians believed in reincarnation?

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:38:53 PM »

Huh

Is this train wreck day or something?

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:40:54 PM »

What do you mean by the law of attraction?

There are many foolish priests out there.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:11:44 PM »

also I have another question. You can answer whichever one you want. But I would like answers for both.

Most hoped for a recreation for sure.

what do you think about the law of attraction?

Nice thought but very unlikely to have a favorable outcome. laugh

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:29:20 PM »

No.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 12:06:55 AM »

What do you mean by "reincarnation"?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:03:41 AM »

Law of attraction is satanic.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:12:42 AM »

Could someone (anyone?) tell me what they are talking about with this term. Certainly Church Fathers did accept a law of attraction in a certain sense. We are drawn to God because we are made in the image of God (like attracts like), for example. Is that what is being talked about here? Or are we talking about how I like redheads?  Smiley Huh

KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:13:57 PM »

Name it and claim it nonsense.  They are really into stuff like The Secret.  At its core it is materialistic and really about how to manipulate the universe/God to get what you want.
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »

Could someone (anyone?) tell me what they are talking about with this term. Certainly Church Fathers did accept a law of attraction in a certain sense. We are drawn to God because we are made in the image of God (like attracts like), for example. Is that what is being talked about here? Or are we talking about how I like redheads?  Smiley Huh

That is exactly what I am talking about. Can you share your thoughts about it?
thanks.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 07:23:33 PM »

Law of attraction? quite repulsive  Grin

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 05:50:46 PM »

Could someone (anyone?) tell me what they are talking about with this term.
The idea that if you want something enough and believe you'll get it, your brain sends out quantum vibrations and the universe gives it to you.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 06:00:10 PM »

The idea that if you want something enough and believe you'll get it, your brain sends out quantum vibrations and the universe gives it to you.

All forms of newage / corporate BS.

From Think and Grow Rich! to The Secret.

"Positive thinking" has not only never shown any clinical benefit for psychological help or changing anything in one's surroundings, but rather research continues to show it is only ineffective, but harmful.

This differs from certain forms of visualization to increase proficiency in various tasks.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »

Didn't read the entry, but here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_attraction

Again, when I call BS on this I am looking at long standing change.

The fact it can be relatively effective in the short term is what makes such nonsense a major part of all hocus pocus.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 06:41:07 PM »

That is exactly what I am talking about. Can you share your thoughts about it?
thanks.

If what others are speaking of is what you're asking of, then no, I wouldn't say that there is anything to it. I think that if you're nice and generous and have a good attitude (but not a pushover) people will be more likely to act similarly towards you. But that isn't what is being talked about here from what I can tell...

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »

It thought that the Law of Attractions is what made cousins irresistible.  Or does that have more to do with being raised in the South?

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 07:36:43 PM »

William Shatner makes fun of The Law of Attraction here:
http://youtu.be/JA0DDDwhR0c

laugh

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
NUMB3R7
Dragon Slayer

Faith: Non-denominational

Dragon Slayer

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 02:57:44 PM »

The law of attraction is widely misunderstood. It works two ways, either divinely or wickedly. I have attached a sketch that I made to explain this using Magnetism. God Created it therefore, it must be Divinely accurate and universal, meaning that this law of Magnetism is everywhere in the Universe and all of nature is obedient to it except for humankind.

Reincarnation is real, there are scripture references to God telling how He will raise up certain same men in latter days; this is reincarnation of spirits, which are created and recorded in heaven. The flesh is just flesh and is perishable but the spirit is eternal as DNA code.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 03:00:07 PM »

"5 parts of satan is more than woman can resist"

Well who didn't know that?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 03:18:07 PM »

The law of attraction is widely misunderstood. It works two ways, either divinely or wickedly. I have attached a sketch that I made to explain this using Magnetism. God Created it therefore, it must be Divinely accurate and universal, meaning that this law of Magnetism is everywhere in the Universe and all of nature is obedient to it except for humankind.

Reincarnation is real, there are scripture references to God telling how He will raise up certain same men in latter days; this is reincarnation of spirits, which are created and recorded in heaven. The flesh is just flesh and is perishable but the spirit is eternal as DNA code.

What do you know about the Shulamite woman?

BTW, thanks! Awesome post.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »

If we're talking about birds of a feather flocking together, it's common sense. Otherwise, it is a construct that creates much completely unnecessary grief and guilt. If you don't get what you want, it must be because you didn't focus on it hard enough. Oh no, every trial and ordeal that finds me is my own fault! Yeahno. You're not the centre of the universe, snowflake.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:22:52 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 03:35:02 PM »

Orthonorm, would you remember any books or sites where one can read about those researches? I have a friend who is very into it and I would like to show him this kind of material from a scientific perspective.

All forms of newage / corporate BS.

From Think and Grow Rich! to The Secret.

"Positive thinking" has not only never shown any clinical benefit for psychological help or changing anything in one's surroundings, but rather research continues to show it is only ineffective, but harmful.

This differs from certain forms of visualization to increase proficiency in various tasks.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 04:56:11 PM »

That formula is very bias towards females.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 05:11:31 PM »

Reincarnation is real, there are scripture references to God telling how He will raise up certain same men in latter days;

Technically, that's resurrection, not reincarnation. Reincarnation is when a soul (I think that buddhism talks about one's consciousness, but I'm not entirely sure) is reborn in another organism.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »

Reincarnation is real, there are scripture references to God telling how He will raise up certain same men in latter days;
Reincarnation is when a soul...is reborn in another organism.
Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. Shocked

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 05:24:25 PM »

Reincarnation is when a soul...is reborn in another organism.
Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. Shocked
I know, but I don't have the knowledge to spit out a full explanation of buddhist/hindu/sikh theology (I really need to read some material over again in the near future)
Besides, I know that a lot of people in here are a lot more qualified to explain such things, when it comes to eastern religions.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:27:32 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
NUMB3R7
Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »

What do you know about the Shulamite woman?

BTW, thanks! Awesome post.

Hello, orthonorm, I don't know anything of the Shulamite woman in the Bible. All of the things that I know have been taught to me and if it hasn't been taught yet, it's likely that it's not the appointed time or perhaps I was already taught the same principal through God's law of Nature. The way that I see it, I've learned about the things that underline all religions, back to nature, so to speak. Paul told us that we may see God's law in nature so why not see it? This is what I had asked myself before asking our Father for the answer. The law of Magnetism is what I discovered from a Bible Prophecy that is supposedly concerning a Polarity change in Earth and in all living minds. That's another topic but it is directly linked in Prophecy. And, thanks to you Smiley
NUMB3R7
Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »

That formula is very bias towards females.

It does appear that way on the horizontal plain of perspectives. It's actually the Divine proportion that shows how we become joint heirs in Christ. I illustrate the Scriptures using His proportion that has been determined in the very Beginning, Him/Genesis!

The spirits behave like numbers do, add 6 to 1 and they both rest in 7; the 6 and 1 are no longer seen apart and naked as 6 and 1 when shaved from 7, instead they Rest in the Sabbath covenant, which is illustrated by the number 7 as it's the Image of Perfection, Equity, Trinity and Unity. It's the number of Glory and it's the number for 7th Heaven. If the woman-1 and the man-6 are obedient and do become joint heirs in Christ-7, then please tell me what is bias in that Equation?

You must understand that God's Intepretation of Equality is different from our present social interpretation, they are as different as God and satan. God's Divine proportion is not a heavy burden upon either the male or female, it's our present World Order that places the burden on us and we have learned to ignore it and love it, and it was accomplished by mind control/brainwashing, and satan is master mind of it all.

Please know that God's laws and proportions are not bias against women in heaven but it is here on earth because of man's laws. I recall the Father''s prayer, we should behave here on earth as if we are in heaven. God bless you! Smiley

Smiley
NUMB3R7
Dragon Slayer

Dragon Slayer

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 10:52:53 PM »

Technically, that's resurrection, not reincarnation. Reincarnation is when a soul (I think that buddhism talks about one's consciousness, but I'm not entirely sure) is reborn in another organism.

Actually, it's exactly what you say Smiley It is reincarnation by your terms, or Buddhism, makes no diff... you do have the principal correct and I do mean the same thing but I didn't write in length so I'll give a bit more detail, reincarnation concerns the nature of the spirit verses flesh, the spirit is a DNA code written in Heaven, recorded in the Book of Life and this is how God knows the hairs on your head, by your DNA string code, He wrote it, He should know it!

The DNA code is data but in a supernatural form that only God may control, unless satan hacks into our DNA by our permission to allow him when we submit to sin; any particular spirit may not be manifested in flesh until the appointed times. God can reuse any DNA code that He has planned from the Beginning when He drew the Plan of Salvation, nothing changes. This is where it involves Glorified flesh and it's nature, explained in simple terms. Spirits do manifest in flesh and the traits of that spirit or spirits are obvious outwardly and inwardly, one may interpret if he/she have the spiritual discernment to judge the fruits of others.

The satan's formula, or witches brew is better known as "Weird Science"; the movie is a mockery of the Truth. That movie and every other are designed to desensitize the human mind and brainwash them about the Second Coming; most human minds will be depraved beyond the point of no return, in these last-days, they will not be capable of Rightly Dividing the Word, they are then branded with the spiritual marl of beast, while God's children are Sealed with His Signature. This is the agenda of the Antichrist and the false prophet who are church and state systems in our country today. There is a truth about conspiracy theories but none are accurate.

You can know what the Truth should be by examining the counterfeits! Most faiths teach that we should examine only the authentic and not the counterfeits, as this is the same method that Bank tellers are trained. The hidden agenda is that those churches want people to examine only their doctrines and nothing else, and yet, if we examine the counterfeits, we should then see how different they are. The world is so far upside down that the Holy things appear profane, and visa verse.

There's even more but time is limited. God bless Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: