OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 05:33:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What were you before you were Orthodox?  (Read 3549 times) Average Rating: 0
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »

Raised Southern Baptist
In college became Methodist for a couple of years
Drifted into Charismatic circles during that time and stayed in that for about 21 years,
then in 95 became convinced of Orthodoxy and was received in 98.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 07:08:11 PM »

Oh, Anastasia.

I was not taking a jab at you.

Just playing.

Sorry  Smiley

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2012, 11:51:22 PM »

Oh, Anastasia.

I was not taking a jab at you.

Just playing.

Sorry  Smiley
No prob. That's actually why my orientation moved East. Too much time feeling like I was just doing something wrong. [Fail! Fail! Fail!] Recent convo irl just brought up some old feelings and stuff...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:51:38 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »

Wisconsin Synod Lutheran.  LCMS before that.  Currently attend a Serbian Orthodox Church, but my heart is forever with the ROCOR.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Mokek Kwe

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 01:13:13 AM »

I was raised Baptist.
At 16, I visited an Episcopal church for Christmas Eve Eucharist and I was very drawn to the liturgical style service. I learned about Orthodoxy a couple of years ago (didn't know it was a "thing" before that), and it felt right from the moment I learned about it.
I'd always questioned that if our (Baptist) pastor said things like "In the original church..." before he made a contrasting statement with our own church, why shouldn't we BE more like the Original church. Finding out about Orthodoxy answered that for me. Smiley

Baptized with my husband and our four year old daughter on May 4, 2013
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2012, 01:21:31 AM »

Initially non-denom/Baptist, played around with more charismatic stuff but never really felt right about it.

I became a pretty classical Protestant (Presbyterian - PCA) for a few years, so much that I didn't really look like a modern Presbyterian (very sacramental, argued for the Ever-Virginity of the Theotokos, as Calvin himself did, etc.) and eventually became convinced of the historicity of the Orthodox Church, glory to God.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

On Sabbatical until Mid-December

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2012, 01:36:24 AM »

Recent convo irl just brought up some old feelings and stuff...
Yeah, I know that feeling.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 01:58:37 AM »

Baptized Southern Baptist at 6. Left the Faith at 10. Agnostic/unseeking for 10 yrs. From 12 to 20 my religion must have been myself (aka drugs, sex, homelessness, theft, violence and other various excursions).

At 20 yrs. old I began seeking and practiced TM and other forms of meditation until I took the Nazarite Vow as a Rasta at 23. Reggae helped save my life. I found Orthodoxy at 26. Received a year later into the OCA. I'm 36 now. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:28:15 AM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 10:12:47 AM »

I became a pretty classical Protestant (Presbyterian - PCA) for a few years, so much that I didn't really look like a modern Presbyterian (very sacramental, argued for the Ever-Virginity of the Theotokos, as Calvin himself did, etc.)...
For some reason, the PCA  managed to produce quite a bit of this for a few years. It was a minority report, for sure, but I know some of the more evangelical Presbyterians were calling for a certain Presbytery to get the boot because they weren't expelling those elements.

Toward the end, it started getting weird, resulting in questions like "How do you feel about paedocommunion?" within minutes of  you walking into a church.

It all ironed out eventually, with the more classical magisterial Protestants either transferring to another synod/confederation or converting to Rome/Orthodoxy.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 10:14:19 AM »

Baptized Southern Baptist at 6. Left the Faith at 10. Agnostic/unseeking for 10 yrs. From 12 to 20 my religion must have been myself (aka drugs, sex, homelessness, theft, violence and other various excursions).

At 20 yrs. old I began seeking and practiced TM and other forms of meditation until I took the Nazarite Vow as a Rasta at 23. Reggae helped save my life. I found Orthodoxy at 26. Received a year later into the OCA. I'm 36 now. Smiley

How did you leave being a Southern Baptist at 10?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »

Non demoninational do nothing Christian.

Thank you.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »

How did you leave being a Southern Baptist at 10?

My parents got divorced and I didn't have to go to church anymore. To be clear, our Baptist church didn't commonly baptize 6yr.olds. I specifically asked to be baptized and went up for an altar call, spoke with a deacon and arranged for it the next Sunday. The pastor was quite surprised but went through with it.
Anyways, my Dad wasn't very "religious" though he did read the Bible and I lived with my Mom who went off the deep end shortly after the divorce. This was probably due to being raised in a strict household and then getting married at 18.
So yes it was a conscious decision to leave the Faith. I could have continued by attending a Grace Community Church (pseudo-Baptist non-denom.) with my grandparents (by this time everyone had relocated and switched churches) but chose skateboarding and partying above all else.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:23:28 PM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, 12:42:53 AM »

I became a pretty classical Protestant (Presbyterian - PCA) for a few years, so much that I didn't really look like a modern Presbyterian (very sacramental, argued for the Ever-Virginity of the Theotokos, as Calvin himself did, etc.)...
For some reason, the PCA  managed to produce quite a bit of this for a few years. It was a minority report, for sure, but I know some of the more evangelical Presbyterians were calling for a certain Presbytery to get the boot because they weren't expelling those elements.

Toward the end, it started getting weird, resulting in questions like "How do you feel about paedocommunion?" within minutes of  you walking into a church.

It all ironed out eventually, with the more classical magisterial Protestants either transferring to another synod/confederation or converting to Rome/Orthodoxy.

Yes, I remember this. There was a lot of talk about paedocommunion and other similar practices during my time there. Coming there from a low-church background, I initially was opposed...but the PCA does practice infant baptism and at my church we always got the talk about how this meant the baby was a "full member of the community, accepted into Christ, etc." didn't take long for such talk to convince me to support paedocommunion, if we were to be consistent in our theology (being Presbyterians don't chrismate). I don't know if the pastor there was a paedocommunion proponent or not, I don't think so though...which in my mind just meant he was inconsistent.

Ultimately, Presbyterianism prepared me to accept higher church concepts, and I credit the changes it made to my way of thinking to allow me to more readily accept Orthodoxy. I don't think I could've jumped from being evangelical to being Orthodox. But to be fair, I was never a very good evangelical. That said, I still have a lot of respect for Protestants who think like I used to as a Presbyterian and always enjoy my conversations with folks that belong to conservative Presbyterian or Anglican groups, the LCMS, and other similar-minded folks.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »

Yes, I remember this. There was a lot of talk about paedocommunion and other similar practices during my time there. Coming there from a low-church background, I initially was opposed...but the PCA does practice infant baptism and at my church we always got the talk about how this meant the baby was a "full member of the community, accepted into Christ, etc." didn't take long for such talk to convince me to support paedocommunion, if we were to be consistent in our theology (being Presbyterians don't chrismate). I don't know if the pastor there was a paedocommunion proponent or not, I don't think so though...which in my mind just meant he was inconsistent.

Ultimately, Presbyterianism prepared me to accept higher church concepts, and I credit the changes it made to my way of thinking to allow me to more readily accept Orthodoxy. I don't think I could've jumped from being evangelical to being Orthodox. But to be fair, I was never a very good evangelical. That said, I still have a lot of respect for Protestants who think like I used to as a Presbyterian and always enjoy my conversations with folks that belong to conservative Presbyterian or Anglican groups, the LCMS, and other similar-minded folks.

I think that the reason that some of the conservative Protestant churches (LCMS and WELS for sure) baptise infants but do not commune them is because they strongly believe that communion is taken "for the remission of sins".  Since baptism has already washed away the original sin (in their view), there is no need to commune an infant or small child since they cannot prepare by examining themselves since they are still short of the age of reason and are therefor innocent.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2012, 10:46:49 AM »

Nominally a combined Methodist/Presbyterian in youth. Nothing from 14-39 yrs of age in 2003; hesitantly fundamentalist in 2003, 4 Square Pentecostal in 2004 but randomly attended 1st DL in august 2004 & went on to become Orthodox by Holy Saturday in 2005.

Antiochian OC N.A.
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »

Roman Catholic
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »

Lutheran (LCA, then ELCA - these distinctions are important to Lutherans!) all my life, until twelve years ago when I attended my first Divine Liturgy. Never expected that I would be anything but Lutheran - I had been accepted to seminary and was in the discernment process for the ordained ministry.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2012, 01:43:19 PM »

Lutheran (LCA, then ELCA - these distinctions are important to Lutherans!) all my life, until twelve years ago when I attended my first Divine Liturgy. Never expected that I would be anything but Lutheran - I had been accepted to seminary and was in the discernment process for the ordained ministry.

similar story here (although I was younger, and so seminary was just being "suggested" at the time).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »

I was Orthodox before, but I'm sort of in between Christian and Orthodox currently.

interesting. How exactly do you see any difference between the 2? The reason I am asking is because I fail to see the difference.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2012, 03:56:58 PM »

I don't ascribe to fundamentalist dictates on my life as much as I used to, because paying too much attention to that can be a little detrimental and gets me rule focused instead of God focused (I'd rather be wrong but honest than fake being someone I am not, and I am still pretty conservative), and I have much to learn in Orthodoxy.

We agree on this. Being God focused is what is important, and I wish everyone was, myself included. as far as "I'd rather be wrong but honest than fake being someone I am not, and I am still pretty conservative". Indeed, if we fake being someone we're not, that makes us hypocrites. And God deserves a lot better than that. However, I respect people's beliefs, thoughts and lifestyles, just as I want them to respect mine. However, I can't tolerate people who are trying to shove their beliefs on me, or anyone that matters to me for that matter. I maybe wrong. But better wrong than hypocrite.

“God has no religion.”
Rdunbar123

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2012, 06:19:17 PM »

0-61. RC. was recieved last Dec.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »

0-61. RC. was recieved last Dec.

Better late than never Grin.

P.S. Many Years!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:35:37 PM by sheenj » Logged
izrima

Faith: Raised Catholic, Inquiring Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rome/OCA

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2012, 09:43:37 PM »

I was Orthodox before, but I'm sort of in between Christian and Orthodox currently.

interesting. How exactly do you see any difference between the 2? The reason I am asking is because I fail to see the difference.

I found that interesting as well. I think it is because many Protestants prefer to call themselves "Christian," sometimes as if that designation is their exclusive property. My girlfriend's father once said I was not a Christian because I was an RC  Huh
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 09:45:39 PM »

I was Baptist.  Independent and Southern Baptist.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »

I found that interesting as well. I think it is because many Protestants prefer to call themselves "Christian," sometimes as if that designation is their exclusive property. My girlfriend's father once said I was not a Christian because I was an RC  Huh
That's a lack of understanding and knowledge.  I know because I was once the same way.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2012, 11:22:40 PM »

i was baptised as an orthodox when I was 2. A friend of mine's mother is however a pentecostal. When I told her I am a christian. She was so surprised. What for? It's not like she is the only christian on the face of the earth. This is my wound ever since I can remember going to church. All the denomination claim authenticity, and treat you like you are a devil worshiper, just because you don't fit their agenda. This needs to stop. But I don't see it happening any time soon.

“God has no religion.”
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2012, 12:43:55 AM »

Heinz57 Christian.  Raised Catholic, morphed into a Catholic Protestant. Went to both for many years.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2012, 12:45:29 AM »

You had me at Heinz57  Grin
Ruprecht
Formerly Subdeacon Bob.C

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Church of  N.A.; New England Diocese

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2012, 12:57:29 AM »

Roman Catholic - active and then "inactive" - for the first 51 years.  Then Orthodox for the past 15 years.  In fact, it was during a week long retreat at the start of my novice year as a Brother of the Sacred Heart (!!) that I was urged to move toward Orthodoxy.  In a small discussion group of four or five brothers, I asked the visiting Jesuit retreat master, where we could find the original Church of the Acts of the Apostles.  His answer (he was an Eastern Catholic) : look at Orthodoxy!  That was in 1964, I left the order in 1967, and it took me until 1997 to to complete the journey Eastbound.  A tortuous path, but worth the trip!
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

This is where I choose to tread

« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2012, 06:25:28 AM »

1988-mid 2010: Secular agnostic
mid 2010-late 2011: Ultra-orthodox Hasidic Jew
late 2011-mid 2012: Reactionary atheist
mid 2012-late 2012: Spiritual wanderer
late 2012: Still a spiritual wanderer, but at least I've found Eastern Orthodoxy. Grin

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »

I was Roman Catholic.

and what made you change?

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2013, 07:58:35 PM »

I was Baptist.  Independent and Southern Baptist.

what changed you kerdy?

“God has no religion.”
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2013, 08:05:13 PM »

Condemned  Cheesy

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Феофан
High Elder

Faith: christian

« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »

It was pretty much all over for me but the wailing & gnashing of teeth!   Grin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:17:28 PM by Theophan_C » Logged

formerly known as theophan_c
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2013, 10:26:24 PM »

Protestant
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2013, 11:15:03 PM »

I was Baptist.  Independent and Southern Baptist.

what changed you kerdy?

The truth.  I went looking for the truth and I found the truth.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:15:32 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2013, 11:28:28 PM »

Raised Methodist. Remained so nominally thoughout the earlier part of my life (I was more interested in radical political theory than religion). Flirted with Calvinism (inspired by Jonathan Edwards) for a while, but ultimately converted to Catholicism. Briefly studied in a seminary before leaving to discern Orthodox Christianity. Decided on World (Eastern) Orthodoxy. Went through stage of Orthodox nominalism and agnosticism before discovering Theosophy. I still attend weekly liturgy though (mostly to see family and friends).

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: