OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 02:49:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Kyriacos Markides' newest book "The Inner River"  (Read 1481 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: November 28, 2012, 05:22:52 PM »

Howdy y'all!

Ever since I read The Mountain of Silence back in '05, I have mostly enjoyed Dr. Markides' books on Eastern Orthodox spirituality.  Having recently purchased his latest book, The Inner River, I wanted to share my thoughts as well as read your thoughts and opinions on The Inner River.

I'm about half way through the book and am mostly enjoying it.  As with his last two books, "Fr. Maximos" figures prominently, sharing his wisdom he's gained from intense prayer as well as living as a monastic on Mt. Athos. 

When I'm finished (hopefully by the weekend), I'll give y'all a full write up.  If any of you have already read it, please share your thoughts with us.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 05:25:32 PM »

Are you back for good?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 05:42:33 PM »

I very much appreciate Markides' views, not to mention the instruction of Fr. Maximos. It has been a while since I read Inner River, and since my recollection of the book isn't very good, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:23:57 PM »

Are you back for good?

Yes and no.  My participation will be greatly scaled back as I intend to participate only in meaningful dialogues.  And I absolutely refuse to argue any longer.  I'm still an opinionated knucklehead, but I'm finally, after all these years, sincerely trying to imitate Christ. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »

I read it. Not bad a'tall.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »

Update- I'm still reading the book and probably won't finish by the weekend like I had hoped.  But so far I can/will definitely recommend it.  I was happy to read the part where Kyriacos "outs" himself as a believing Christian.  A brief synopsis is still forthcoming...

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »

Markides discusses Philip Sherrard's Christianity: Lineaments of a Sacred Tradition, in the book.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 10:03:43 PM »

Hey y'all,

Well, I had hoped that I would be able to write a chapter by chapter synopsis but, my business is keeping me on my toes (Praise the Lord).   So instead, I'll just sort of give you my thoughts on the whole thing, hopefully not forgetting anything. 

So, many of you know who Dr. Markides is by now and have probably either read a little of his work or may have listened to him on Ancient Faith Radio or myocn.  I have all three of his books on Orthodox Spirituality (The Mountain of Silence, Gifts of the Desert, and The Inner River).  This last book pretty much follows the formula of the previous two in that Dr. Markides carries on discussions with "Fr. Maximos" (a real person but his name was changed for privacy).  Two things that stuck out from this one that I enjoyed were first his "coming out" as a sincere believer and no longer a Sociologist observing Orthodox Christianity.  One particular chapter, he explains to an aging friend who's also an atheist and former member of the Cyprus communist party why he now believes.  It's an interesting chapter.  The other thing I loved was the discussion of the Fruits of the Holy Spirit as laid out by St. Paul.  This discussion spans several chapters and is, for me, worth the price of the book.  Fr. Maximos goes into detail on the nine Fruits (there are obviously more, but he sticks to the nine).  But more than just explaining what they are, he delves into how you and I can achieve them.  As in The Mountain, Fr. Maximos discusses quite a lot about the Jesus Prayer.  I can attest that since following his advice on when and how to say the Prayer, it's starting to take a hold; I mean, it really works. 
 Another really encouraging aspect that Fr. Maximos talks a lot about is that when a person tastes Christ and begins to acquire the Holy Spirit in his/her heart and moves beyond faith (which oddly enough is towards the bottom of the list of the nine Fruits), anguish, angst, depression and all fears melt away.  When reading Fr.'s discussion, you really get the sense that he's not just repeating what his elders have told him but that he's speaking from experience and that it's actually achievable for a country bumpkin like me. 
 The one thing I could do without, as in all of Dr. Markides' books, is his "professional" interjections and his pontifications.  Although now he's openly admitted that he has returned to the faith of his forefathers, he still has a tendency to approach it as a Western educated scientist.  I won't go into detail here as that might turn off some or turn on others for the wrong reason.  I understand where he's coming from, having been a follower of another religion and an agnostic myself, but a third of this book was Dr. Markides interjecting his opinions or views.  Maybe that'll reverberate with y'all.  I found it a little irritating. 
 Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the book, but I would bundle it with another book like, say, Bread and Water, Oil and Wine by Fr. Meletios Webber. 
 For those of y'all who've read The Inner River, what did you think?

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 10:35:27 PM »

I just checked the Amazon reviews for this book and found one in particular that I pretty much agreed with (He goes into a little more detail of what I also found irritating).  I think, though, that I would give the book a 4 star though.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3SI47KDYWQYUI/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0307885879&nodeID=283155&store=books

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: