OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 07:05:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass/whole parish conversions to Catholicism  (Read 551 times) Average Rating: 0
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« on: November 27, 2012, 08:13:45 PM »

This thread has me wondering...

In American Orthodoxy (and especially in the western rite), it’s not uncommon to hear of an entire church/parish/ecclesial community/whatever converting to Orthodoxy en masse.

Does such a thing ever happen in Catholicism? I know of former ministers being received/ordained under the pastoral provision, but have their churches ever followed them?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »

I know of one such instance, but I am sure there are more :

The Story of Alex Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHz45YjBpI0

And no, its not the Alex Jones that probably came to mind.

EDIT : to clarify, some of the congregation left, but a good number followed him.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 08:18:48 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:37:06 PM »

Actually quite a bit, starting with the mass Anglo-Catholic exodus from the Episcopal Church in 1979 after that body decided to ordain women, the most recent being to the Anglican Ordinariate. I know for sure of an Anglican parish in Maryland that "swam the Tiber" earlier this year: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-06-24/news/bs-md-anglican-catholic-church-20120624_1_anglican-church-catholic-priest-parishioners.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Agabus
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:27:00 PM »

Actually quite a bit, starting with the mass Anglo-Catholic exodus from the Episcopal Church in 1979 after that body decided to ordain women, the most recent being to the Anglican Ordinariate. I know for sure of an Anglican parish in Maryland that "swam the Tiber" earlier this year: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-06-24/news/bs-md-anglican-catholic-church-20120624_1_anglican-church-catholic-priest-parishioners.
Ah yes, the Ordinariate. Don't know how that slipped my mind...The former pastor (a Presbyterian turned Anglican turned Catholic) of a church I used to attend  is a big, big advocate.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 08:38:35 AM »

Ah yes, the Ordinariate. Don't know how that slipped my mind...The former pastor (a Presbyterian turned Anglican turned Catholic) of a church I used to attend  is a big, big advocate.

Right. It's been going on for decades, but the numbers got a little boost from Anglicanorum Coetibus.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 10:17:29 AM »

Has there been any mass conversions from Orthodoxy to Eastern Catholicism?

Agabus
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 10:24:54 AM »

NVM
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:26:58 AM by Agabus » Logged

Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »

Has there been any mass conversions from Orthodoxy to Eastern Catholicism?

The unions of Brest and Uzhgorod.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:25:32 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

Πρὸς δὲ τὸν ἀξιοῦντα δημοκρατίαν ἐν τῇ πόλει καταστήσασθαι ὁ Λυκοῦργος εἶπε 'σὺ πρῶτος ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ σου ποίησον δημοκρατίαν.'
-Lycurgus
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »

LOL. I meant mass conversion within the North America.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 11:10:39 AM »

I can't recall any.  A diocese of Nestorians did a few years ago.

My parish was considering going to the Vatican when they were going from Bible study to apostolic succession, and their leader, a former communicant of the Vatican IIRC (it was long before my time) pushed it hard.  The archdiocese, however, would not receive them, and would have broken the parish up and distribute them among declining parishes.  The priest shortage was also an issue, and they wouldn't ordain the pastor, who left with some of the members and went to the Vatican anyways.

The parish (or at that time, congregation) had a friendly association with a congregation of Pentacostals (IIRC) who did go to the Vatican and founded "This Rock" magazine.  They were rather disappointed that our congregation went Orthodox.

I vaguely recall some Lutheran congregations jumping in the Tiber.

It happens, but most of the time they just get absorbed into an already established parish-we have no shortage of them here, and most could use a boost in numbers and enthusiasm.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »

I can't recall any.  A diocese of Nestorians did a few years ago.

My parish was considering going to the Vatican when they were going from Bible study to apostolic succession, and their leader, a former communicant of the Vatican IIRC (it was long before my time) pushed it hard.  The archdiocese, however, would not receive them, and would have broken the parish up and distribute them among declining parishes.  The priest shortage was also an issue, and they wouldn't ordain the pastor, who left with some of the members and went to the Vatican anyways.

The parish (or at that time, congregation) had a friendly association with a congregation of Pentacostals (IIRC) who did go to the Vatican and founded "This Rock" magazine.  They were rather disappointed that our congregation went Orthodox.

I can believe that. I recall the case of one TAC parish that was considering going Ordinariate not so long ago (I think it was St. Mary of the Angels in Hollywood) and how those who wanted to complained that those who didn't want to were being "divisive".
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:08:00 PM by Peter J » Logged

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags: Journeys not to Orthodoxy  Rome Sweet Home 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: