OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 10:37:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ‘Two and a Half Men’ star becomes Christian, blasts show  (Read 2580 times) Average Rating: 0
Armchair Theologian

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 02:32:22 PM »

Ah yes, I have a couple friends from Russia who are Seventh Day Adventists. They tried to convert me, so as a kindness I looked into their beliefs and history and immediately found enormous problems. Their religion was conceived in a groundless attempt to predict the coming of Christ, which ultimately of course didn't happen. The guy who made the prediction I think recanted it, but later on other people came along and basically said that he was right after all, and that the Lord just started on his way to earth that day... Smiley They says he's in some sort of weird intermediate place between here and there, and that he'll get here before long.... Smiley I don't think I need to say much more.

The only thing I might say in their favor is that they, I think, acknowledge the Trinity as well as the divinity of Christ, unlike the Jehovah's Witnesses, But they're still way, way off, even by protestant standards, which are hard to define.  

EDIT

I hope and pray Jonah finds his way out of the error of the church he's a part of, and discovers the right Christian path. I'm happy he's recognizing the show is filth (cause it is). The Lord be with him.  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:43:40 PM by Armchair Theologian » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »

They says he's in some sort of weird intermediate place between here and there, and that he'll get here before long.... Smiley I don't think I need to say much more.
I'm afraid that's not what they believe. SDA's think that in 1844 Christ entered into the "Heavenly Sanctuary," the Holy of Holies, to begin finishing his atonement work, and that's what he is doing now.
Armchair Theologian

Faith: Inquirer
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »

I'm afraid that's not what they believe. SDA's think that in 1844 Christ entered into the "Heavenly Sanctuary," the Holy of Holies, to begin finishing his atonement work, and that's what he is doing now.

Hmm... I wonder where I read that then. I seem to remember my Russian friend even saying that many Adventists believed that he had 'left heaven' and is 'on his way', but it's been a long time since I've read into anything Adventist-related or even talked to her, so my apologies if I've misrepresented someone's beliefs...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:48:24 PM by Armchair Theologian » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »

Hmm... I wonder where I read that then. I seem to remember my Russian friend even saying that many Adventists believed that he had 'left heaven' and is 'on his way', but it's been a long time since I've read into anything Adventist-related or even talked to her, so my apologies if I've misrepresented someone's beliefs...
It's fine. Smiley Just wanted to make sure others didn't get confused.

Here's from the SDA church's "Fundamental Beliefs":

24. Christ's Ministry in the Heavenly Sanctuary:

There is a sanctuary in heaven, the true tabernacle which the Lord set up and not man. In it Christ ministers on our behalf, making available to believers the benefits of His atoning sacrifice offered once for all on the cross. He was inaugurated as our great High Priest and began His intercessory ministry at the time of His ascension. In 1844, at the end of the prophetic period of 2300 days, He entered the second and last phase of His atoning ministry. It is a work of investigative judgment which is part of the ultimate disposition of all sin, typified by the cleansing of the ancient Hebrew sanctuary on the Day of Atonement. In that typical service the sanctuary was cleansed with the blood of animal sacrifices, but the heavenly things are purified with the perfect sacrifice of the blood of Jesus.
From: http://www.adventist.org/beliefs/fundamental/index.html

I highlighted some of the important parts.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »

He is still, in a sense, 'on His way', since Christ must enter and cleanse the Heavenly Sanctuary before coming to Earth.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »

They says he's in some sort of weird intermediate place between here and there, and that he'll get here before long.... Smiley I don't think I need to say much more.
Interestingly, the Bahai's think Miller got the date right, but did not understand that Christ would appear in Persia.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »

Interestingly, the Bahai's think Miller got the date right, but did not understand that Christ would appear in Persia.
Interesting. Reminds me of the Baha'i interpretation of Joseph Smith's prophecy about seeing the face of Christ if he lived to 1891 - the same year that Baha'u'llah announced himself.

In the Muslim year 1308 A.H. (1890-91) Bahá'u'lláh came froth from behind that white veil; making His Great Announcement to the world via the Tablet of Carmel. After that time Bahá'u'lláh no longer kept behind the veil, but showed His Face to the world, and announced that the promised Kingdom of Heaven had come. He called His Cause "The Celestial Kingdom".

Terrible source, I know, but first thing I found.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:13:45 PM by Nephi » Logged
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »

He is still, in a sense, 'on His way', since Christ must enter and cleanse the Heavenly Sanctuary before coming to Earth.

He is to come, coming, and here.

Christ is our midst.

Just like the age to come.

It is to come, coming, and here.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: