OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:31:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does Fr. Pavlos Stratigeas talk about in this video?  (Read 800 times)
walter1234
High Elder

« on: November 27, 2012, 09:22:30 AM »

What does Fr What does Fr. Pavlos Stratigeas  talk about in this video? What is his view on phenomenon of "Speaking in Tonguess" or "Glossolalia?
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 06:57:22 AM »

Any comment about what Fr. Pavlos Stratigeas talk about in this video? Can some Greeks help?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:59:29 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »

Cry What is the view and teaching of  Fr. Pavlos Stratigeas? Any greek tell me what this video talk about.  Cry

Answering and helping me with a few words is ok!! laugh
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:44:21 AM »

We don't have many native Greek speakers here.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:50:13 AM »

What does Fr What does Fr. Pavlos Stratigeas  talk about in this video? What is his view on phenomenon of "Speaking in Tonguess" or "Glossolalia?
He gives the Orthodox perspective on glossolalia, by linking it with the komboschini i.e. prayer rope. For fr. Stratigeas glossolalia is the praying without ceasing, the prayer of the heart, the Jesus prayer. He calls it the "key of salvation" and "memory of God".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 08:57:16 AM »

This s not related to what Fr. Pavlos says, but it is related to the glossolalia phenomena.

From The Illness and Cure of the Soul from the Orthodox Tradition. It is presented as a conversation of five Orthodox people in Athens Greece, one the priest, three other men and a woman with the Archimandrite over a period of weeks on his subject of what he calls "Orthodox psychotherapy" by which he meant the "therapeutic" effect of hesychasm, which he explains fully. This book is the last of four volumes of which the first three present his material in theoretic form, and this one in practical form. I will begin the quotation from p. 148:

-- You have mentioned the gift (charisma) of speaking in tongues, said Constatntine. In the ancient Church this gift existed. Why has it vanished today?
--Who told you that this gift has vanished?
--But we do not see people today speaking "foreign languages".
--The gift of speaking in tongues was not for the Christians just to speak foreign languages. That, of course, also occurred, and it was the energy of God which granted it, so that the Church could be fortified. As St. John Chrisostom explains, when the Church was srengthened and true faith was confirmed, it was no longer necesary. Miracles are mostly for those who lack in faith. For this reason holy Chrysostom teaches that the nonexistence of this gift today is a sign of the increas and firmness of faith.
--Why did you say earlier "who told you that this gift has vanished?"
--You did not l3t me finish. The gift of speakin foreign languages was combined with ceaseless inner prayer. The Apostle Paul says characteristically: "Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above eery name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth: And that every tongue should cnfess that Jesus Cjrist is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Phil.2, 9-11). In this apostolic passage the connection of noetic prayer in the name of Crist with the phrase "every tongue" is obvious. The name of Christ, which is recited in the heart and is a sign of the energy of God within us --the sign that we have become the temple of the Most Hoy Spirit-- is a great ower which subdues every other power and, naturally, the ruler of this world --the devil. This is noetic prayer. The Apostlesknew this inner prayer. The Apostle Paul is very explicit: "be filled with the Spirit; speaking to yourselves in psalms and hmns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord" (Eph.5, 18-1-). This gift has never vanished from the CHurch. This is whywe can say with certainty that those who have noetic prayer or prayer of the heart have the gift in tongues, because they speak the "language of the angels.
I think the meaning here is not that tongues is noetic prayer (though I believe it is) but that noetic prayer (i.e., the Jesus Prayer) is "tongues," according to Vlachos.
http://www.monachos.net/forum/showthread.php?1647-Speaking-in-tongues

I do recommend you follow the discussion on the thread of the Monachos forum. It is very informative.

Charismatic Revival As a Sign of the Times
by Fr. Seraphim Rose
http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/charismatic_revival_s_rose_e.htm
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:57:59 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »

I see. Thanks a lot! Smiley
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »

We don't have many native Greek speakers here.

Really?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: