OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:15:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What types of Greek are there?  (Read 1209 times)
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« on: November 26, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »

I am so confused

What Greek was the Septuagint in? What Greek was the NT written in? What Greek did Saint John Chrysostom speak? What Greek was spoken in the later Ecumenical Councils?

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:20:51 PM »

Koine, koine, koine and koine.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »

Koine. Koine. Middle Greek (but he wrote and sermonized in Attic(ized)), "Byzantine" Greek.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 03:34:46 PM »

Do we know exactly how Koine Greek was actually pronounced?

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »

Koine. Koine. Middle Greek (but he wrote and sermonized in Attic(ized)), "Byzantine" Greek.

My Greek grammar book tell me that Middle Greek started from ~600 AD, which would include the Sixth and Seventh Ecumenical Councils. Some other works however say that middle greek was used from 330 onwards. I guess it would depend on which date you use.

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 03:37:06 PM »

Yes. It sounded very much like middle and modern Greek.

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:41:11 PM »

ah okay

this reminds me, there was some website that had pictures of many manuscripts maybe it was of the septuagint and also the new testament I cannot remember the name of the website though, does any of it ring a bell?

thank you for your help!

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »

nevermind that though,

is this in koine greek?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/End_of_2_Peter_and_Beginning_of_1_John_in_Alexandrinus.JPG

Finally, where/how does one learn genuine koine greek?

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »

Yes.

Finally, where/how does one learn genuine koine greek?

If you know Attic (aka Classical Greek) you know Koine.

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 03:53:56 PM »

It did? What about Erasmian pronunciation?
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »

Erasmian pronunciation is for Attic Greek, not Koine. And even then I doubt whether the Erasmian pronunciation was ever used, it is 'reconstructed' in the Renaissance and it sounds plain awful.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:57:07 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 03:59:18 PM »

I do not really care to learn classical/attic greek, only koine (i have no desire to read the illiad or homer or whatever!!!)

so is there any trusted places to learn it? or am i going to be stuck with the classical/attic greek and its controversies?

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »

I do not really care to learn classical/attic greek, only koine (i have no desire to read the illiad or homer or whatever!!!)

I learned classical Greek and I can read Koine easily. It's not any more different as British English is from American English.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:03:12 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »

Erasmian pronunciation is for Attic Greek, not Koine. And even then I doubt whether the Erasmian pronunciation was ever used, it is 'reconstructed' in the Renaissance and it sounds plain awful.

My university taught me Koine Greek with Erasmian pronunciation. Every kind of pronunciation of dead languages in reconstructed.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 04:08:07 PM »

I learned classical Greek and I can read Koine easily. It's not any more different as British English is from American English.

i just sort of want to stay away from classical because it might be pronounced differently

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 04:08:40 PM »

but anyway, where does a poor man learn koine greek?  Tongue

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »

i just sort of want to stay away from classical because it might be pronounced differently

You're not supposed to really pronounce it. Are you going to hold conversations in Koine or something? It's about reading and translating I suppose. And no, AFAIK there's no seperate Koine class.

I can't answer that one. I learned Greek in high school but I assume you're too old for that  Tongue
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:17:23 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »

You're not supposed to really pronounce it. Are you going to hold conversations in Koine or something? It's about reading and translating I suppose. And no, AFAIK there's no seperate Koine class.

how can one read without pronouncing it in ones head!?

and okay

now where could one learn classical (non  Erasmian) greek without having to spend a thousand dollars? Tongue

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 04:21:05 PM »

I can't answer that one. I learned Greek in high school but I assume you're too old for that  Tongue

what high school was that!? well, I live in the US and the public school offered Spanish German and French.

i am 19, so no i don't think i can go back to high school, they might even think i am a pedophile!  police police police

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 04:21:32 PM »

and okay

now where could one learn classical (non  Erasmian) greek without having to spend a thousand dollars? Tongue

I suppose you could learn Attic from books and then learn the Koine pronunciation separatly. I'm sure those books won't cost a thousand dollars.

what high school was that!? well, I live in the US and the public school offered Spanish German and French.

A Dutch Roman Catholic high school. But even many public schools offer it here.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:22:52 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »

and okay

I suppose you could learn Attic from books and then learn the Koine pronunciation separatly. I'm sure those books won't cost a thousand dollars.

A Dutch Roman Catholic high school. But even many public schools offer it here.

ah

well i did try rosetta stone to learn the modern greek but i could only afford the online subscription for a year

now im out of money and i must depend on the internet Sad

izrima

Faith: Raised Catholic, Inquiring Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rome/OCA

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »

ah

well i did try rosetta stone to learn the modern greek but i could only afford the online subscription for a year

now im out of money and i must depend on the internet Sad

If you're in the U.S., a lot of public library systems offer Rosetta Stone to cardholders. You might also look into Wikiversity--I have found their Spanish materials to be very helpful whenever I am gearing up for Mexico.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »

Again there is NO SUCH THING as Erasmian pronunciation outside of weird back to the Greek Bible circles.

Go to a real classics department and run this game if you want to get laughed at.

Attic is always being reconstructed that is what philologists do.

I sat through debates (impromptu) by serious classists arguing over pronunciation of attic Greek all the time.

Erasmus developed a method. A needed one.

And you are kidding yourself if you think the Greek of today is what "Greek" sounded like even in 20 AD.

Sheesh. This should be common sense to those who have had the opportunity to experience today a language with a long history which circles much of the known world: English.

Oh how will people 2000 years from now know think I sounded if there are no recorded media left and just fragments of writing here and there?  

If they come up with how Akimori sounds, well they will be far off.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:30:42 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2012, 02:11:41 PM »

Again there is NO SUCH THING as Erasmian pronunciation outside of weird back to the Greek Bible circles.

Go to a real classics department and run this game if you want to get laughed at.

I sat through debates (impromptu) by serious classists arguing over pronunciation of attic Greek all the time.

And you are kidding yourself if you think the Greek of today is what "Greek" sounded like even in 20 AD.

Sheesh. This should be common sense to those who have had the opportunity to experience today a language with a long history which circles much of the known world: English.

Oh how will people 2000 years from now know think I sounded if there are no recorded media left and just fragments of writing here and there? 

You do realise that Erasmus based his pronunciations exclusively on lyrical poetry (the Greek lyrical poetry being exceptionally fragmentary)? Koine of 20 AD sounded much closer to modern Greek than Erasmian pronunciation does to Koine. The sound of the 'η' for example is pronounced as 'i' in Koine, Middle, Byzantine and Modern Greek but as è (as in everybody) in the Erasmian pronunciation.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:15:39 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 10:17:40 PM »

Is the LXX still koine It seems like there would be some differences?  Undecided
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 11:02:16 PM »

You do realise that Erasmus based his pronunciations exclusively on lyrical poetry (the Greek lyrical poetry being exceptionally fragmentary)? Koine of 20 AD sounded much closer to modern Greek than Erasmian pronunciation does to Koine. The sound of the 'η' for example is pronounced as 'i' in Koine, Middle, Byzantine and Modern Greek but as è (as in everybody) in the Erasmian pronunciation.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, 09:08:28 AM »

Since no-one living in 20 AD is still around, I'm afraid there's no evidence of the correct pronunciation of the Greek of the 1st c. AD.
On the other hand we have evidence of the convergence of pronunciation of Attic diphthongs and η with plain iota atleast since Plato. Plato in his dialogue Cratylus writes that the name of Poseidon derives from the fact that he is the Posidesmos (the foot-shackler) of seas: "Τὸν οὖν ἄρχοντα τῆς δυνάμεως ταύτης θεόν ᾠνόμασεν Ποσειδῶνα ὅς Ποσίδεσμον ὄντα". One problem then occurs for the followers of Eramian pronunciaton: according to them, "Ποσσειδῶν" is pronounced differently from "Ποσίδεσμος", thus either Plato does not know what he writes, or they must have missed something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »

My Greek grammar book tell me that Middle Greek started from ~600 AD, which would include the Sixth and Seventh Ecumenical Councils. Some other works however say that middle greek was used from 330 onwards. I guess it would depend on which date you use.

May I ask which grammar book(s) you used?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »

May I ask which grammar book(s) you used?

A dutch one. Pallas 4 to be more specific.

On a OC.net diet.

-Giacomo Puccini
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: