OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 10:43:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rosary Beads  (Read 805 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: February 03, 2013, 05:06:33 PM »

I had a question. In Orthodoxy, we're supposed to keep our Prayer Ropes hidden and tucked on our left wrist to be humble, do Roman Catholics have a similar rule in regards to their Rosary Beads? Because, I always see Roman Catholics wearing them like necklaces, flashed them around, or (lol) wearing them over gang-related attire or attire depicting something sexual. It just seemed kind of weird and heretical to me. When did they become fashion accessories for you guys?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:23:27 PM »

I have at least one friend who says that they should not be worn as necklaces, and I get that impression from what the more religious on one forum and a thread on another. I read that it might be ok to wear them as a symbol of pride in it or something, but I'm not sure how that was phrased to not seem like a sin.  It is fine to wear a rosary bracelet as a reminder to pray.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »

I had a question. In Orthodoxy, we're supposed to keep our Prayer Ropes hidden and tucked on our left wrist to be humble
Or like, in a pocket since we have those now. :p

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »

I had a question. In Orthodoxy, we're supposed to keep our Prayer Ropes hidden and tucked on our left wrist to be humble

Pockets? Western outrage! Hyperdox Herman does not approve.

EDIT: It just seems like everywhere I go, there is ALWAYS that group of lapsed Roman Catholics dressed like "gangstas" wearing 4 or 5 Rosary bead necklaces around their necks while they drink beer or talk about pot. It just seems ironic.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:31:48 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »

EDIT: It just seems like everywhere I go, there is ALWAYS that group of lapsed Roman Catholics dressed like "gangstas" wearing 4 or 5 Rosary bead necklaces around their necks while they drink beer or talk about pot. It just seems ironic.
QFT on both points.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:59:35 PM »

The legitimate use of the Rosary is to examine your life and practice prayer.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:01:20 PM by WPM » Logged
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 06:03:34 PM »

I was flipping through the channels one day and found an EWTN news show covering a story of a kid who got into some trouble for wearing is rosary beads like a necklace. I remember one of the reporters (maybe the anchor) commenting that the rosary is for prayer, not jewelry and wondering why the kid had it around his neck to begin with.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 06:06:19 PM »

Bear in mind that there are quite a number of people who wear rosaries with little to no knowledge of Roman Catholicism. The Catholic bookstore I used to work in had several "gangstas" visit looking for jewelry. I will never forget the one who asked about buying a "Jesus rosemary thing".

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »

In Orthodoxy, we're supposed to keep our Prayer Ropes hidden and tucked on our left wrist to be humble,

A prayer rope on the wrist doesn't look hidden, it just looks like a knitted hemp bracelet.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 06:12:32 PM »

You can use the rosary to examine your prayer life.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 06:13:39 PM by WPM » Logged
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »

Being Byzantine Catholic, I don't use the Rosary that much- however, when I do, I usually keep it deep in the pocket of my trenchcoat until I take it out.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 06:25:05 PM »

It doesn't need to be so concealed.  The use of the rosary by Roman Catholic faithful is far more universal than the use of the prayer rope among Orthodox.  People used to take their rosaries to mass and pray this devotion before the mass started.

Wearing rosaries has become a gang sign, sadly.  It's common among Roman Catholics of a Latino background to wear them.  There is a RC saint, I can't remember who, who did say to wear them as a reminder of faith and such.  My European Catholic family wouldn't hear of it, and my grandmother absolutely hated it when people wore them.  It's become a cultural thing.

All the same, rosaries aren't concealed in the RCC as in Orthodoxy.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 07:57:01 PM »

I used to think it was offensive, but I actually asked a young person once who wore them around his neck why he did so. He said his grandma told him to wear it to help him remember that God and His Mother were always with him, even when he wasn't at church. I thought that was actually kind of nice.  Cool

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2013, 02:05:54 AM »

James, please don't use the word "Always" so recklessly.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 03:13:25 AM »

Bear in mind that there are quite a number of people who wear rosaries with little to no knowledge of Roman Catholicism. The Catholic bookstore I used to work in had several "gangstas" visit looking for jewelry. I will never forget the one who asked about buying a "Jesus rosemary thing".

Roll Eyes
The cost of being "cool."
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 03:15:12 AM »

I have heard some Orthodox say they use a Rosary to pray.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 03:31:43 AM »

We are to take off the prayer rope before a service.  Prayer ropes are private prayer and services held at church are communal.  When a bishop is greeted at the entrance of the church before liturgy he in fact takes off his prayer rope for this specific reason. 

I don't know if the women are still with us but I know up until a few years ago I know a cathedral where a few ladies would say the rosary before liturgy.  To quote their late bishop, "leave the women who say the rosary alone, they're not hurting anyone, they learnt it in Catholic school 70 years ago".  In fact it was just a tiny few that I saw doing so.

Also I do have a humeral veil in my possession from an OCA parish (priest had vestments he wanted properly disposed of, I got the humeral veil and kept it as a historical piece).  At one time the parishes in the area and even Pittsburgh had a form of benediction of the blessed sacrament, Saturdays I believe in Lent.  Didn't matter if it was OCA, ACROD, UOC-USA and I don't know about ROCOR/MP. Even my parish still has a humeral veil in the vestment closet left their for posterity. 
Last time I saw benediction in an eastern setting was a number of years ago when we were Greek Catholic at the Uniontown Pilgrimage.  I hear they even stopped.

Issue is to discern what is part of the recension of a group of believers and what is a latinization.  Not everything is a latinization.  clearly rosary is.

And no you don't wear a rosary like jewelry.  Did not Christ say to keep your private prayer private?

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 12:22:17 PM »

We are to take off the prayer rope before a service.  Prayer ropes are private prayer and services held at church are communal.  When a bishop is greeted at the entrance of the church before liturgy he in fact takes off his prayer rope for this specific reason. 

I don't know if the women are still with us but I know up until a few years ago I know a cathedral where a few ladies would say the rosary before liturgy.  To quote their late bishop, "leave the women who say the rosary alone, they're not hurting anyone, they learnt it in Catholic school 70 years ago".  In fact it was just a tiny few that I saw doing so.

Also I do have a humeral veil in my possession from an OCA parish (priest had vestments he wanted properly disposed of, I got the humeral veil and kept it as a historical piece).  At one time the parishes in the area and even Pittsburgh had a form of benediction of the blessed sacrament, Saturdays I believe in Lent.  Didn't matter if it was OCA, ACROD, UOC-USA and I don't know about ROCOR/MP. Even my parish still has a humeral veil in the vestment closet left their for posterity. 
Last time I saw benediction in an eastern setting was a number of years ago when we were Greek Catholic at the Uniontown Pilgrimage.  I hear they even stopped.

Issue is to discern what is part of the recension of a group of believers and what is a latinization.  Not everything is a latinization.  clearly rosary is.

And no you don't wear a rosary like jewelry.  Did not Christ say to keep your private prayer private?

A rosary is not necessarily a "latinization".  To wit: http://images.acswebnetworks.com/1/1335/Rule_of_the_Mother_of_God.pdf

It is, however, a private devotion.

Whether prayer rope and Jesus prayer, or rosary eastern or western, the point, I believe is basically the same thing: to pray, and hopefully to pray without ceasing.

I personally find that wearing a rosary as jewelry or as a "gangsta" statement is highly disrespectful.

Interestingly, I have a beautiful wooden rosary which I use to pray the Jesus prayer.   angel  It is, after all, just beads and a cross.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 09:06:22 PM »

In my childhood - that was sometime between the invention of fire and the wheel, as I carefully explained whenever my children asked about 'the olden days - it was normal for the Rosary to be said together as a family. If it was being said when the postman called he would quietly say, "God bless all here", and kneel with everyone else.

Don't remember anyone wearing the beads as necklaces, but do have an old neighbour who wears his in such a fashion. Given he wears his trousers properly pulled up I don't think he's a wannabe gangsta.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »

St. Louis DeMonfort recommends wearing the Rosary as a sign of devotion. If some one wears it for that reason, I think it's wonderful.

If someone wears it as a gang sign, or as a fashion symbol (very popular in gay culture) then I think that that is great offense against Our Lady.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 09:16:00 PM »

St. Louis DeMonfort recommends wearing the Rosary as a sign of devotion. If some one wears it for that reason, I think it's wonderful.

If someone wears it as a gang sign, or as a fashion symbol (very popular in gay culture) then I think that that is great offense against Our Lady.

One of my less happy experiences was in a jewellers in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter when one young woman was buying a necklace and asked, "Have got one with the little man on". I managed to swallow my tongue, just!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 09:36:54 AM »

She may put them on her list of special attention to convert and save.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »

If wearing a rosary was good enough for the Boondock Saints...

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 09:44:29 AM »

Well said.
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 10:23:23 AM »

In Orthodoxy, we're supposed to keep our Prayer Ropes hidden and tucked on our left wrist to be humble,

A prayer rope on the wrist doesn't look hidden, it just looks like a knitted hemp bracelet.

Technically the only people who should wear their prayer rope on their wrist are monastics.  I wear mine on my belt so as not to interfer with my activities, especially when serving at the altar as a deacon.  When not serving at the altar, its covered by my monastic vest.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »

She may put them on her list of special attention to convert and save.
I hope so. Would be a wonderful sign of grace.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »

Technically the only people who should wear their prayer rope on their wrist are monastics.  I wear mine on my belt so as not to interfer with my activities, especially when serving at the altar as a deacon.  When not serving at the altar, its covered by my monastic vest.

Thank you Father Deacon! I did not know this.  I don't use a prayer rope it distracts me. I am a drummer I can keep "the beat" without a rope personally.

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 11:27:30 PM »

Father,

I would certainly agree for the larger 100 knot ropes,  but even the monks of Athos make the 33 knot ropes, presumably to wear on the wrist.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: