OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 05:15:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A vaticanista reads the pope's book  (Read 593 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 25, 2012, 11:15:22 PM »

American reaction to Pope Benedict XVI’s latest book, Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives, so far has been restricted to quick day-one news pieces, partly because it was released the day before Thanksgiving.
On the matter of the virgin birth, for instance, Benedict says it’s a “cornerstone” of the faith: “If God does not have power over matter,” he writes, “then he simply is not God.”
The pope also has no problem saying that Christian tradition got the date of Jesus’ birth wrong. Rather than what we now regard as the year zero, he says, Jesus was most likely born around 7 or 6 B.C. (As it turns out, there was an astronomic event that year which, as the pope notes, is believed by some to underlie the story of the “star in the East” that led the Magi to Jesus.)
On another score, a pious Catholic tradition has long read Luke 1:34, when Mary asks the Angel Gabriel after he tells her she will conceive a child, “How shall this be, since I have no husband?” to mean that she had taken a vow of virginity....Noting that such an idea would be “quite foreign to the world of Judaism at Jesus’ time,” Benedict XVI summarily dismisses it as “inconceivable.” (One wonders what all those Catholic apologists who insist on this tradition will make of the pope’s words.)
The stress on joy, meanwhile, comes out of Benedict’s discussion of the annunciation to Mary. He notes that Gabriel does not employ the usual Jewish greeting with Mary – shalom, or “peace” – but the Greek term chaĩre, which tradition renders as “hail,” but which really means something like “rejoice!”

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 03:04:11 PM »

On another score, a pious Catholic tradition has long read Luke 1:34, when Mary asks the Angel Gabriel after he tells her she will conceive a child, “How shall this be, since I have no husband?” to mean that she had taken a vow of virginity....Noting that such an idea would be “quite foreign to the world of Judaism at Jesus’ time,” Benedict XVI summarily dismisses it as “inconceivable.” (One wonders what all those Catholic apologists who insist on this tradition will make of the pope’s words.)

That's a bit surprising. So if I'm reading this right, the pope said that she definitely didn't take a vow of virginity, not just 'The passage isn't proof that she did.'

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 03:58:06 PM »

That's a bit surprising. So if I'm reading this right, the pope said that she definitely didn't take a vow of virginity, not just 'The passage isn't proof that she did.'
Is there any historical tradition of young Jewish women taking a vow of celibacy?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:03:48 PM »

The media love to hype:

The day after Benedict's latest book The Infancy Narratives - Jesus of Nazareth - was published on November 20, Vatican officials found some headlines they were not expecting.

"Killjoy pope crushes Christmas nativity traditions," read one tabloid headline, claiming that Benedict had snubbed traditions such as animals in nativity scenes and caroling.
And then there was this zinger headline from a web news site: "Pope bans Christmas".
So what was all the fuss about?

In the 137-page book, the pope states a fact: that in the gospels there is "no reference" to the presence of animals in the stable - actually, it was probably a cave - where Jesus was born.
Benedict says the evangelist Luke wrote that at the moment of Jesus' birth the angels "said" the well-known phrase "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom he is pleased".

But in the next line he explains that "Christianity has always understood that the speech of angels is actually song", that "the angels' song of praise has never gone silent", and that it is "only natural that simple believers (even today) join in their caroling on the Holy Night".

So, no need to cancel any school performances.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:04:29 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »

In the 137-page book, the pope states a fact: that in the gospels there is "no reference" to the presence of animals in the stable - actually, it was probably a cave - where Jesus was born.

Specific mention of the ox and donkey (as depicted in Orthodox iconography, as well as western Nativity scenes) might be absent from the Gospel accounts, but they're there in the incarnational prophecy of Isaiah:

The ox knows its owner, and the donkey its master’s crib. (Is 1:3)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:34:35 PM »

But the bible says "manger" which is another word for stable. Right??

Um, what if I already did?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:36:39 PM by Peter J » Logged

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:36:53 PM »

I thought a manger was a trough, i.e., a feed box or container for food.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:38:42 PM »

It is.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »

It is.

Yes. (I'm one of those guys foolish enough to attempt humor on this forum.)

choy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »

Did he declare this ex cathedra?  If so, we need to go to our Nativity of Christ icons and deface the animals depicted in the cave.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: