OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 11:03:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is RCC so attractive?  (Read 11677 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #450 on: February 09, 2013, 12:05:24 AM »

I'm a spoiled American; I need pure, red, four-legged meat served right in front of me with A1 sauce. Not a little bit of meat or fish/lamb buried under or mixed with like twenty Orthodox vegetables from the old country, but plain meat.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #451 on: February 09, 2013, 12:06:48 AM »

I'm a spoiled American; I need pure, red, four-legged meat served right in front of me with A1 sauce. Not a little bit of meat or fish/lamb buried under or mixed with like twenty Orthodox vegetables from the old country, but plain meat.

If you don't like Chicken Kiev then... then... . .  you are beyond all hope!

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #452 on: February 09, 2013, 12:07:28 AM »

Sad I have no choice but to join the Romans....

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #453 on: February 09, 2013, 12:11:56 AM »

I am American, A1 sauce is gross, and Chicken Kiev is delicious.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #454 on: February 09, 2013, 12:14:47 AM »

and Chicken Kiev is delicious.

If you eat it seldom. To delicate for me for daily use.

I didn't know it is called that way.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:15:04 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #455 on: February 09, 2013, 12:41:50 AM »

The Constantinopolitans?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #456 on: February 09, 2013, 01:16:29 AM »

Perhaps he meant the evil latin Franks  Shocked

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #457 on: February 09, 2013, 01:38:23 AM »

If you don't like Chicken Kiev then... then... . .  you are beyond all hope!

What is Chicken Kiev? Is it something like "chicken of the sea?" Which is really tuna.

Edited to add: Hey, I have heard that rattlesnake meat tastes a lot like chicken. However, rattlesnake meat is real meat as it comes from a vertebrate.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:42:06 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #458 on: February 09, 2013, 01:40:09 AM »

Oh, the RCC is not so interesting when their "Ash Wednesday" and Lent starts next week (five days from now).

We have five more weeks until Great Lent.  angel

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #459 on: February 09, 2013, 02:11:00 AM »

Aww five weeks? That's so long... Sad I want it to come sooner. I can't wait for Pascha; this is going to be the year where I try to drag my family with me to Church and maybe the beauty of Pascha will convert them.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #460 on: February 09, 2013, 02:12:13 AM »

Hahaha. You'd think that, Maria, until you remember that the RCC doesn't really fast. But I have noticed a huge increase in the number of commercials for fast food fish sandwiches lately...ahhh, the joys of living in New Mexico. Enjoy your filet-o-fish sandwiches, Wyatt! Wink

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #461 on: February 09, 2013, 02:23:34 AM »

What is Chicken Kiev? Is it something like "chicken of the sea?" Which is really tuna.

Edited to add: Hey, I have heard that rattlesnake meat tastes a lot like chicken. However, rattlesnake meat is real meat as it comes from a vertebrate.

Wiki has the answer! Smiley

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #462 on: February 09, 2013, 02:33:08 AM »

Wiki has the answer! Smiley

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #463 on: February 09, 2013, 02:44:41 AM »

ummm...  A1 sauce is for meat that was not cooked so well.  But I agree on the minimal meat with veggies and all that on a non-fast day.  If I want fish I want grouper and veggies to the side if I have room.  Virtually everything is good with noodles though. 
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #464 on: February 09, 2013, 02:45:30 AM »

I believe that is Chicken Kyiv.   Wink
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #465 on: February 09, 2013, 03:32:54 AM »

You've obviously never been to a Russian (especially Harbintsy Russian) or Greek barbecue. I also hear the Georgians know a thing or two about carnivorous cooking.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #466 on: February 09, 2013, 08:11:20 AM »

Perhaps he meant the evil latin Franks  Shocked
Evil? Lol! I might have to use that line in my signature.

Charles Martel........"Evil Latin Frank".

Oh and that's Latin with a capital "L". Wink

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #467 on: February 09, 2013, 08:14:39 AM »

The RCC isn't too attractive to these guys:

They should also include "Spelling in English" or "Proper use of apostrophe"
Maybe, but they're spot-on with Loud Mouth Women. Grin

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #468 on: February 09, 2013, 08:47:44 AM »

Orthodox countries and good food? HA! I've NEVER tasted anything good from an Orthodox country; it always seems so vegetarian or just plain odd and foreign to me, whereas Rome's western food is more appealing to me. Then again, it's a matter of perspective.

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #469 on: February 09, 2013, 11:01:58 AM »

Hahaha. You'd think that, Maria, until you remember that the RCC doesn't really fast.
I have a RCC calendar that describes fasting rules for Lent, and it gives the normal Western fasting method (1 normal-sized meal, and 2 small meals).

I wonder how many Catholics do this.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 11:02:31 AM by Nephi » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #470 on: February 09, 2013, 11:12:54 AM »

Hahaha. You'd think that, Maria, until you remember that the RCC doesn't really fast.
I have a RCC calendar that describes fasting rules for Lent, and it gives the normal Western fasting method (1 normal-sized meal, and 2 small meals).

I used to try to do it. When I was young, Mom took care of that for me, with fish sticks and spaghetti over and over again. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #471 on: February 09, 2013, 12:30:47 PM »

ummm...  A1 sauce is for meat that was not cooked so well.  But I agree on the minimal meat with veggies and all that on a non-fast day.  If I want fish I want grouper and veggies to the side if I have room.  Virtually everything is good with noodles though. 

Grouper? Do you live in Florida or something?

Anyhow, I've never been I big fan of A1, but Chello's steak sauce is great (if they still make it -- it has been a long time since I had it).

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #472 on: February 09, 2013, 12:32:45 PM »

And even that's only necessary for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #473 on: February 09, 2013, 12:33:29 PM »

How do you feel about Ukrainian food?

choy
Archon

« Reply #474 on: February 09, 2013, 12:44:37 PM »

They should also include "Spelling in English" or "Proper use of apostrophe"
Maybe, but they're spot-on with Loud Mouth Women. Grin

But if you get rid of the loud mouth women, then you will have loud mouthed men.  We shut up because the women are talking  Grin
choy
Archon

« Reply #475 on: February 09, 2013, 12:46:23 PM »

Hahaha. You'd think that, Maria, until you remember that the RCC doesn't really fast. But I have noticed a huge increase in the number of commercials for fast food fish sandwiches lately...ahhh, the joys of living in New Mexico. Enjoy your filet-o-fish sandwiches, Wyatt! Wink

What I miss in the Philippines. Almost everywhere the restaurants and fast food places come out with their Lenten menu.  Of course being RC, it usually means fish meals.  But Orthodox can eat squid, right?  I miss grilled squid.
choy
Archon

« Reply #476 on: February 09, 2013, 12:47:37 PM »

Good devout RCs would.  But as dzheremi pointed out, it really isn't much.  It is only required for 2 days a year.  Then the "abstinence" on Fridays.

But if you think about it, we Orthodox can eat as much rice as we want during Lent Cheesy
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #477 on: February 09, 2013, 01:23:35 PM »

BTW, I didn't notice at first but that file is called apostropheabuse.jpg. So I guess a lot of our comments are a bit "on the nose".  Embarrassed

Btw, I have to wonder if the people who made that banner really mean it, or if they're really some [liberals] just making fun of fundamentalists. (Which really isn't much of sport b/c it's so easy.  Wink)

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #478 on: February 09, 2013, 01:31:45 PM »

How do you feel about Ukrainian food?

Had a few slices of salo today, accompanied by a few pieces of raw semi-dried sausage...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Time-wasting self-embarrassing anti-Christian hater

« Reply #479 on: February 09, 2013, 06:41:57 PM »

Many Orthodox cultures have good food, too.

Mmmmmmm pierogies.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #480 on: February 09, 2013, 06:43:23 PM »

Many Orthodox cultures have good food, too.

Mmmmmmm pierogies.
The great pierogie race...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #481 on: February 09, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »

username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #482 on: February 10, 2013, 11:03:29 PM »

Orthodox countries and good food? HA! I've NEVER tasted anything good from an Orthodox country; it always seems so vegetarian or just plain odd and foreign to me, whereas Rome's western food is more appealing to me. Then again, it's a matter of perspective.

Indeed. Salo is vegetarian. No meat in there.

How is Salo vegetarian?  It is cured pig fat Mike!  Tongue  I have about 20kg of it that has been curing for four months almost.

Fat, not meat. No single protein in there.

At least how I'm trying to explain to myself JamesR's argumentation. Otherwise it has no sense.

my salo has some red meat in it.  Ok but to picky Americans who can afford to pass up food if it is from an animal period then it isn't vegetarian.

username!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #483 on: February 10, 2013, 11:06:32 PM »

How is Salo vegetarian?  It is cured pig fat Mike!  Tongue  I have about 20kg of it that has been curing for four months almost.

At least how I'm trying to explain to myself JamesR's argumentation. Otherwise it has no sense.

It's flesh from an animal, not vegetarian.  Like pork rinds.

Fat isn't a flesh.  I take mike's side it isn't meat it's salo, it's own unique thing.  It's not pork rinds either.  It's cured back fat or belly fat.  Or smoked cured ribs.  I currently used really thick fat from a homegrown pig.  most pigs in the USA don't grow large enough to have thick back fat.  But this pig did.  We are talking 4-5 inches thick in some spots. 

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #484 on: February 11, 2013, 06:11:58 AM »

It's flesh from an animal, not vegetarian.  Like pork rinds.

Fat isn't a flesh.  I take mike's side it isn't meat it's salo, it's own unique thing.  It's not pork rinds either.  It's cured back fat or belly fat.  Or smoked cured ribs.  I currently used really thick fat from a homegrown pig.  most pigs in the USA don't grow large enough to have thick back fat.  But this pig did.  We are talking 4-5 inches thick in some spots.  
 ...in any event, it isn't vegetarian.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:12:47 AM by Kerdy » Logged
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #485 on: February 14, 2013, 07:34:47 PM »

Hmm... strange. The local Latin priest here gave a rousing Ash Wednesday homily on Eastern fasting rules, and why Latins should adopt them. Being Ruthenian Catholic, I just smiled when everybody immediate smiled bright when he read the gospel passage about "And when you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by men." I knew the Italian Catholics' faces would be dismal when he mentioned the ban on dairy products- including cheese.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
choy
Archon

« Reply #486 on: February 14, 2013, 07:40:22 PM »

It's flesh from an animal, not vegetarian.  Like pork rinds.

Fat isn't a flesh.  I take mike's side it isn't meat it's salo, it's own unique thing.  It's not pork rinds either.  It's cured back fat or belly fat.  Or smoked cured ribs.  I currently used really thick fat from a homegrown pig.  most pigs in the USA don't grow large enough to have thick back fat.  But this pig did.  We are talking 4-5 inches thick in some spots.  
 ...in any event, it isn't vegetarian.

Ah, the difference between vegetarian and vegan.  Vegetarians will eat animal byproducts, like milk/dairy and eggs.  Vegans won't eat anything that came from whatever animal.  Our fasting requires a mostly vegan diet with very few exceptions.
choy
Archon

« Reply #487 on: February 14, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »

Hmm... strange. The local Latin priest here gave a rousing Ash Wednesday homily on Eastern fasting rules, and why Latins should adopt them. Being Ruthenian Catholic, I just smiled when everybody immediate smiled bright when he read the gospel passage about "And when you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by men." I knew the Italian Catholics' faces would be dismal when he mentioned the ban on dairy products- including cheese.

Yes, I did realize at some point that fasting once a week in a 6-week period over a year isn't much.  But I guess for some people it is.  I think this is one of those cases where legalism just does not make any sense and that fasting should have never been legislated to such extent.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #488 on: February 14, 2013, 07:52:24 PM »

Yes, I did realize at some point that fasting once a week in a 6-week period over a year isn't much.  But I guess for some people it is.  I think this is one of those cases where legalism just does not make any sense and that fasting should have never been legislated to such extent.

It is in a town full of Sicilian Catholics who's main Lenten fare consists of spaghetti and fishballs.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Avdima

Faith: In search of...
Jurisdiction: none

« Reply #489 on: January 09, 2014, 07:21:42 AM »

The RCC was attractive to me a few years ago because I wanted I deeper connection to early Christians, but on my quest to dig deeper and find out more about the Roman Catholic Church and its historic ties I discovered Orthodoxy along the way and if or when I do commit to Christ its looking like the Orthodox church is the way to do it. 
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #490 on: January 09, 2014, 09:14:57 AM »

It seems like everyone who is Sicilian or partly is the worst. At least the female variety.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #491 on: January 09, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »

It seems like everyone who is Sicilian or partly is the worst. At least the female variety.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #492 on: January 09, 2014, 11:27:41 AM »

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:28:02 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #493 on: January 09, 2014, 01:20:06 PM »

It's attractive for me on two fronts.

Fear, I worry about my salvation because of it's claims.

and convenience; it's large, powerful and influential.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #494 on: January 09, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »

It's attractive for me on two fronts.
and convenience; it's large, powerful and influential.
Power comes and goes.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: