OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 07:10:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is RCC so attractive?  (Read 12409 times) Average Rating: 0
Auryn

Faith: Catholic converting to Orthodox

« Reply #585 on: January 12, 2014, 07:05:08 AM »

But, after ten years in a terrible Mass, and the plain hypocrisy of how the hierarchy 'interprets' Catholic teaching, I had to get out.  

What sort of hypocrisy?

They teach as if hundreds of years of teaching and dogma can just be ignored.  The dogma is no salvation outside of the Church, for example, yet Pope Francis teaches atheists can just follow their conscious and be saved.  The German bishops want to give communion to remarried Catholics even though that is clearly against Catholic teaching.  The Traditional Latin Mass was supposedly banned for fifty years and yet Pope Benedict said that was a lie and it could be said by any priest who wanted to say it without the permission of his bishop.  And don't even get me started on every Vatican II pope being put up for sainthood.  

Except for the first one, these are all cultural, not dogmatic.  I would have to study the first one before I made a comment.  I wouldn't want to say something which isn't true like so many other people seem to enjoy doing.  Pope Francis is often quoted out of context.

Pope Francis doesn't need to be quoted 'out of context'.  I am so sick of that canard.  You should get off CAF for a while.  
Right, so when he says something, someone takes it out of context and the next day he has to tell them they were wrong, it's really just he got caught...is that about right?

I don't have to be on CAF (Huh) to realize this, I just have to be able to read.  I'd say most of what I read about the Pope is taken out of context by modern secularist types who desperately want to convince people the Catholic Church has changed on hot topic matters, which it has not, of course.  It's no different than if someone did it to the Metropolitan of Russia and accused him of something unjustly, which had been done or the EP of Constantinople.

You sound like a high school girl who dated a Marine and got her feelings hurt so she becomes anti-Marine Corps, or someone who had a big rig almost run them off the road once so all truck drivers are reckless.  

I do agree the Pope doesn't need to be quoted out of context; however, that doesn't stop him from being quoted out of context on a regular basis. In fact, I bet you fell for an out of context quote. 

But it's nice you focused only on this part and ignored the rest as if they don't matter (though they apparently did before) and you seem to be, as a Catholic, unaware of those things.  Strange indeed.

I've read all of his interviews from the direct sources.  Since he was elected I have followed him very closely.  I've read his homilies too.  There is no need for him to be 'taken out of context' as conservative catholics like to claim.  He says something ridiculous at least every week.

If there is prayer, the soul lives; without prayer, there is no spiritual life. + St. Theophan the Recluse +
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #586 on: January 12, 2014, 07:05:24 AM »

But, after ten years in a terrible Mass, and the plain hypocrisy of how the hierarchy 'interprets' Catholic teaching, I had to get out.  

What sort of hypocrisy?

They teach as if hundreds of years of teaching and dogma can just be ignored.  The dogma is no salvation outside of the Church, for example, yet Pope Francis teaches atheists can just follow their conscious and be saved.  The German bishops want to give communion to remarried Catholics even though that is clearly against Catholic teaching.  The Traditional Latin Mass was supposedly banned for fifty years and yet Pope Benedict said that was a lie and it could be said by any priest who wanted to say it without the permission of his bishop.  And don't even get me started on every Vatican II pope being put up for sainthood.  

Except for the first one, these are all cultural, not dogmatic.  I would have to study the first one before I made a comment.  I wouldn't want to say something which isn't true like so many other people seem to enjoy doing.  Pope Francis is often quoted out of context.

Former Roman Catholics have posted on this thread. Are you saying they're not presenting RC teachings correctly?
It depends on what they are saying.  Same as if someone leaves the Orthodox Church and starts to bad mouth Orthodoxy by saying a lot of wrong stuff, or former Southern Baptists spreading slanderous lies. You've seen them on this forum.  It happens.  Not all, of course, but you already know this and are just looking for something to say "gotcha"!

If you want to know what they teach, I suggest actually reading it rather than Protestant cherry pick the parts you do you don't like or understand.  

If a former Orthodox says he left the Church because Orthodox worship Mary and that's wrong...see where I'm going here?  It's a misrepresentation of truth, but it happens.  Now, if he says became Protestant because he felt they had the fullness of truth, okay.  You may disagree with him but he didn't misrepresent Orthodoxy.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #587 on: January 12, 2014, 07:06:25 AM »

Please pay close attention to what is actually being said, thanks!  Also, this addresses another question you asked in a separate post as evidence. 

Thank you for the ironic quote. I noted that you think 'presides' doesn't mean superior. I don't know why you have this novel interpretation.

Backatcha.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #588 on: January 12, 2014, 07:06:55 AM »

If I asked you to show me how much water was in the ocean, how would you respond?  By telling me to stand on the beach and take it all in?  
This makes no sense. I can now see why your posts don't see 'superior' and 'presides' as similar.
Okay...
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #589 on: January 12, 2014, 07:07:39 AM »

I see the favorite car manufacturer around here is still Dodge.   Sad
Thank you for another ironic post. I invited you to come up with specific examples for your claim. This still has not happened.

Sure I did, only not in reply to you directly rather to LBK.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #590 on: January 12, 2014, 07:07:57 AM »

I wouldn't want to say something which isn't true like so many other people seem to enjoy doing.  Pope Francis is often quoted out of context.

What about Pope Francis has been quoted out of context?

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #591 on: January 12, 2014, 07:08:54 AM »

Please pay close attention to what is actually being said, thanks!  Also, this addresses another question you asked in a separate post as evidence. 

Thank you for the ironic quote. I noted that you think 'presides' doesn't mean superior. I don't know why you have this novel interpretation.

Backatcha.

That doesn't make sense in the context of what's just been said Cheesy

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #592 on: January 12, 2014, 07:11:04 AM »

Backatcha.

Who's being juvenile now?

I can tell when people act juvenile and it doesn't take 20 years in the desert to figure that out. 

Physician, heal thyself.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #593 on: January 12, 2014, 07:11:29 AM »

I see the favorite car manufacturer around here is still Dodge.   Sad
Thank you for another ironic post. I invited you to come up with specific examples for your claim. This still has not happened.

I've not seen any specific distortions about Orthodoxy.

You've made some generalist comments about distortions of Catholicism - and then answered those alleged distortions
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:13:18 AM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #594 on: January 12, 2014, 07:12:33 AM »

If I asked you to show me how much water was in the ocean, how would you respond?  By telling me to stand on the beach and take it all in?  
This makes no sense. I can now see why your posts don't see 'superior' and 'presides' as similar.
Okay...

Let's try this a different way, why do you think when the pope "presides" he is NOT superior to the council?

How is it that you figure that he is not?

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #595 on: January 12, 2014, 07:13:02 AM »

I see the favorite car manufacturer around here is still Dodge.   Sad

Speaking of dodges, we're yet to hear of your take on the "context" of the incident between Pius IX and the cardinal I have mentioned several times.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #596 on: January 12, 2014, 07:14:42 AM »

What sort of hypocrisy?

Except for the first one, these are all cultural, not dogmatic.  I would have to study the first one before I made a comment.  I wouldn't want to say something which isn't true like so many other people seem to enjoy doing.  Pope Francis is often quoted out of context.

Pope Francis doesn't need to be quoted 'out of context'.  I am so sick of that canard.  You should get off CAF for a while.  
Right, so when he says something, someone takes it out of context and the next day he has to tell them they were wrong, it's really just he got caught...is that about right?

I don't have to be on CAF (Huh) to realize this, I just have to be able to read.  I'd say most of what I read about the Pope is taken out of context by modern secularist types who desperately want to convince people the Catholic Church has changed on hot topic matters, which it has not, of course.  It's no different than if someone did it to the Metropolitan of Russia and accused him of something unjustly, which had been done or the EP of Constantinople.

You sound like a high school girl who dated a Marine and got her feelings hurt so she becomes anti-Marine Corps, or someone who had a big rig almost run them off the road once so all truck drivers are reckless.  

I do agree the Pope doesn't need to be quoted out of context; however, that doesn't stop him from being quoted out of context on a regular basis. In fact, I bet you fell for an out of context quote. 

But it's nice you focused only on this part and ignored the rest as if they don't matter (though they apparently did before) and you seem to be, as a Catholic, unaware of those things.  Strange indeed.

I've read all of his interviews from the direct sources.  Since he was elected I have followed him very closely.  I've read his homilies too.  There is no need for him to be 'taken out of context' as conservative catholics like to claim.  He says something ridiculous at least every week.

So you are fluent in Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German and Latin.  Impressive.  Anyway, you can disagree with him, that's ok.  Just don't be disengenious about it.
Auryn

Faith: Catholic converting to Orthodox

« Reply #597 on: January 12, 2014, 07:16:38 AM »

What sort of hypocrisy?

So you are fluent in Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German and Latin.  Impressive.  Anyway, you can disagree with him, that's ok.  Just don't be disengenious about it.

I don't need to be fluent in all of those languages.  There's a little thing called 'translation'.  I am not being disingenuous about anything. 

If there is prayer, the soul lives; without prayer, there is no spiritual life. + St. Theophan the Recluse +
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #598 on: January 12, 2014, 07:17:00 AM »

I wouldn't want to say something which isn't true like so many other people seem to enjoy doing.  Pope Francis is often quoted out of context.

A lot.  For someone on the Internet you seem unaware of how to research.  Start with his statements on homosexuality which have been discussed on this forum.  In fact, some of the stuff has been properly debunked by honest people here.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #599 on: January 12, 2014, 07:17:25 AM »

Backatcha.

That doesn't make sense in the context of what's just been said Cheesy

You either.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #600 on: January 12, 2014, 07:18:11 AM »

Backatcha.

I can tell when people act juvenile and it doesn't take 20 years in the desert to figure that out. 

Physician, heal thyself.
That's your great comeback?   Undecided
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #601 on: January 12, 2014, 07:18:59 AM »

What sort of hypocrisy?

The way you've replied it's near impossible for me to know who's said what to whom.

It would be easy to start at the beginning. You believe someone's misinterpreted

Catholicism
Pope Francis specifically
Orthodoxy

Who has done this? What did they say?

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #602 on: January 12, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »

You've made some generalist comments about distortions of Catholicism - and then answered those alleged distortions
What?
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #603 on: January 12, 2014, 07:20:39 AM »

A lot.  For someone on the Internet you seem unaware of how to research.  Start with his statements on homosexuality which have been discussed on this forum.  In fact, some of the stuff has been properly debunked by honest people here.

I get this. You make a claim and you expect other people to research this to prove your claims.

You then make ANOTHER generalisation about what some people are saying

That is not, however how to make a discussion.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #604 on: January 12, 2014, 07:21:44 AM »

Please pay close attention to what is actually being said, thanks!  Also, this addresses another question you asked in a separate post as evidence.  

Backatcha.

Physician, heal thyself.
That's your great comeback?   Undecided

Using your own words to convict you. Putting words in other people's mouths isn't my style.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:22:25 AM by LBK » Logged
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #605 on: January 12, 2014, 07:24:05 AM »

What?

You said this...
What makes it so attractive?  I don't know, but it sure helps when you guys talk more about the Catholic Church than you do Orthodoxy, attack it at every opportunity and can't or won't defend your own faith without distortions of truth (i.e., twisting what the Catholics says) and arguing amongst yourselves about what this or that Orthodox Church believes.  Or just outright attacks on Orthodox churches because of their cultural backgrounds revealing prejudice within your own ranks and showing Orthodoxy may not be as solid and bound together as you say it is.  

But hey, what do I know?  I just read your own contradictions and distortions when you post them.  

I want to know what distortions have been made about the Orthodox church.

You comment itself is a logical fallacy - a tu quoque argument, but I'm not dealing with that illogic at present.

You made a generalist statement. I simply want to know specific examples. You have attacked others with 'dodging' and you claim you've answered me, but you have not.

Again with the irony of accusing others of 'dodging' you have most recently suggested that rather than you answer me, that I should research this for you - which itself seems to be an admission that you have no specific answers.

I will not press you further with this, after three pages if you don't want to answer that's up to you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:26:02 AM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #606 on: January 12, 2014, 07:24:16 AM »

I see the anti-Catholic sentiments are still in high gear on OC.net.  That's sad, it really is because until you actually understand them you aren't going to be able to talk to them in an honest way.  And it reveals something about you which you can't hide.  And I thought Protestants were bad.  Anyway, maybe we should pay more attention to our own backyard and stop telling Catholic how bad they are while we clean up our own messes.  Once Orthodoxy is all on the same sheet of music, maybe then we can say something about someone else.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #607 on: January 12, 2014, 07:26:26 AM »

I get this. You make a claim and you expect other people to research this to prove your claims.

Really?  And here I thought that was standard practice with how many people here do that very thing.  By the way, you have it backwards, just so you know.  I responded to incorrect statements.  The proof lies on the ones making the statements which has not yet been done.  But that as I said is normal here.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #608 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »

I see the anti-Catholic sentiments are still in high gear on OC.net.  That's sad, it really is because until you actually understand them you aren't going to be able to talk to them in an honest way.  And it reveals something about you which you can't hide.  And I thought Protestants were bad.  Anyway, maybe we should pay more attention to our own backyard and stop telling Catholic how bad they are while we clean up our own messes.  Once Orthodoxy is all on the same sheet of music, maybe then we can say something about someone else.
Which is a repeat of a logical fallacy tu quoque, and to make more generalist statements attacking someone/people for doing something else somewhere else.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #609 on: January 12, 2014, 07:27:34 AM »

Please pay close attention to what is actually being said, thanks!  Also, this addresses another question you asked in a separate post as evidence.  

Backatcha.

Physician, heal thyself.

Using your own words to convict you. Putting words in other people's mouths isn't my style.
Backing up your own words apparently isn't your style today either.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #610 on: January 12, 2014, 07:28:36 AM »

What?

You said this...
What makes it so attractive?  I don't know, but it sure helps when you guys talk more about the Catholic Church than you do Orthodoxy, attack it at every opportunity and can't or won't defend your own faith without distortions of truth (i.e., twisting what the Catholics says) and arguing amongst yourselves about what this or that Orthodox Church believes.  Or just outright attacks on Orthodox churches because of their cultural backgrounds revealing prejudice within your own ranks and showing Orthodoxy may not be as solid and bound together as you say it is.  

But hey, what do I know?  I just read your own contradictions and distortions when you post them.  

I want to know what distortions have been made about the Orthodox church.

You comment itself is a logical fallacy - a tu quoque argument, but I'm not dealing with that illogic at present.

You made a generalist statement. I simply want to know specific examples. You have attacked others with 'dodging' and you claim you've answered me, but you have not.

Again with the irony of accusing others of 'dodging' you have most recently suggested that rather than you answer me, that I should research this for you - which itself seems to be an admission that you have no specific answers.

I will not press you further with this, after three pages if you don't want to answer that's up to you.
Nice attempt to turn the tables.  It won't work though.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #611 on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:02 AM »

Really?  And here I thought that was standard practice with how many people here do that very thing.  By the way, you have it backwards, just so you know.  I responded to incorrect statements.  The proof lies on the ones making the statements which has not yet been done.  But that as I said is normal here.

No. You made statements that you have not been able to back up. As I said earlier I will not press you further on this. I respect your right to have nothing to back up your opinions

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #612 on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:15 AM »

Which is a repeat of a logical fallacy tu quoque, and to make more generalist statements attacking someone/people for doing something else somewhere else.
Read this thread.  It's there.  You can start with your statement Catholics just obey and explain yourself.  Then you can explain why you misrepresent the existence of Catholic Answers.  And your accusations Catholics always out of context, explicit or fabricate things...always.  Stuff like that.  Sure, you have your opinions but that's all they are.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:39:47 AM by Kerdy » Logged
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #613 on: January 12, 2014, 07:31:13 AM »

Backatcha.

Physician, heal thyself.

I think we see why the RCC is so attractive! It operates on confusion

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #614 on: January 12, 2014, 07:31:52 AM »

No. You made statements that you have not been able to back up. As I said earlier I will not press you further on this. I respect your right to have nothing to back up your opinions

So that's how it's played?  The other guys always goes first even if its your turn?  Wow, things really haven't changed.  You guys back up yourselves first since you guys made false claims.  When that happens, let me know.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #615 on: January 12, 2014, 07:36:26 AM »

For the record I have cited here several Catholic apologists. And I have addressed those strange Catholic arguments.

Such as here and the post following it

No. When I was considering moving from Catholicism to Orthodoxy FOUR different friends of mine, independent of each other gave me references to quote mine sites. Immediately I was impressed by the sheer volume of quotes from ECFs that seem to support the Catholic position.

However I am grateful to God that he guided me in this. I was aware of www.ccel.org where I could look at these quotes in context.

Some quotes I couldn't independently verify, so I ignored these. Others were complete misquotes, for example they cite Athanasius as saying "Rome is the apostolic throne"* when he in fact says "Rome is an apostolic throne"
History of the Arians Part V. Persecution and Lapse of Liberius.35

* two sites by way of example:
http://www.americancatholictruthsociety.com/articles/deb_papacy/chris/rebut1.htm/

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apologetics/general/primacy.htm/

Some are out of context. For instance John Chrysostom is quoted as saying that Peter is the keeper of the keys. Whilst this is true, the same saint also says that the apostle John is also the keeper of the keys.

If one were to simply read the Catholic part quote one would be impressed by the power given to Peter and not know that the same power is held equally by another apostle.

This goes on and on. Peter is the choirmaster (quoted from John Chrysostom). True, but others are also called masters of the choir.
Butler gives several examples of the use of in order to prove Peter’s uniqueness.  
(Butler, S., Dahlgren, N., & Hess, D., Jesus, Peter & the Keys: A Scriptural Handbook on the Papacy, (Queenship Publishing Company; Santa Barbara, CA), p224)

Then some Catholic apologists have side-arguments to this that the singular is used by John Chrysostom only in regards Peter, and the plural to Peter and other apostles. However this whilst being true is also selective as Hesychius of Jerusalem uses the singular term when he calls James alone the coryphæus.  
Denny, E., (1912) Papalism: A Treatise on the Claims on the Papacy as set forth in the Encyclical Satis cognitum, (Rivingtons; London), p85.

There's a source book by Giles Documents Illustrating Papal Authority AD 96-454 which is an entire book of these part quotes. But then that's its purpose. However interestingly as aside I have spent some time trying to find out who Giles is, including contacting the publisher. This man seems to be a phantom.

Secondly the vastness of the CC is not so much its greatest appeal but its ancientness and strict adherence to moral law. Like here in South Africa , the CC isn't big, a few million, but people convert every year in because of said reasons amongst others
The RCC in South Africa cannot be taken in isolation. People there who are converting aren't probably converting to the "RCC of SA" but the RCC, as a whole. They would see the pope and pageantry of the Vatican, etc.

Not just my four friends, but in the 10 years since debating this with Catholics the amount of times they simply refer to these quote mines in lieu of argument is staggering.

I have made several other such posts here Wink
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:37:33 AM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #616 on: January 12, 2014, 07:46:54 AM »

Once Orthodoxy is all on the same sheet of music, maybe then we can say something about someone else.

Orthodoxy is indeed on the same sheet of music, and has always been. Her hymns and canonical icons are testament to that. I can go into any Orthodox church in the world, on any given day or service, and know beyond doubt that what is read, chanted and sung is the same the world over, and proclaiming the same teachings and Truth. Lex orandi, lex credendi.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #617 on: January 12, 2014, 07:52:16 AM »

Once Orthodoxy is all on the same sheet of music, maybe then we can say something about someone else.

Orthodoxy is indeed on the same sheet of music, and has always been. Her hymns and canonical icons are testament to that. I can go into any Orthodox church in the world, on any given day or service, and know beyond doubt that what is read, chanted and sung is the same the world over, and proclaiming the same teachings and Truth. Lex orandi, lex credendi.

Okay.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #618 on: January 12, 2014, 10:13:15 AM »

Have you become Roman Catholic during your break from this forum? Otherwise, it's quite funny to watch an Orthodox Christian defend the Roman Catholic faith as you have tonight.

I've been trying to stick to my New Year's resolution not to post here ... but I can't resist thanking you for saying that. Indeed, the fight (or whatever it is) that's going on here is between Orthodox and Orthodox, not between Catholics and Orthodox. (I won't weigh in on whether or not it's "funny".)

Happy Epiphany everyone!

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #619 on: January 12, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »

Indeed, the fight (or whatever it is) that's going on here is between a newly-received Orthodox who is stridently defending the RCC for reasons best known to himself and Orthodox

Fixed it for you.

Happy Epiphany everyone!

We Orthodox call it Theophanyangel
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:24:56 AM by LBK » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #620 on: January 12, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »

Happy Epiphany everyone!

We Orthodox call it Theophanyangel

Whatever...
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #621 on: January 12, 2014, 01:12:04 PM »

Have you become Roman Catholic during your break from this forum? Otherwise, it's quite funny to watch an Orthodox Christian defend the Roman Catholic faith as you have tonight.

I've been trying to stick to my New Year's resolution not to post here ... but I can't resist thanking you for saying that. Indeed, the fight (or whatever it is) that's going on here is between Orthodox and Orthodox, not between Catholics and Orthodox. (I won't weigh in on whether or not it's "funny".)

Happy Epiphany everyone!
Actually it's a battle of wits between one Orthodox who speaking the truth and another one(or two) who is distorting it. Wink

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #622 on: January 12, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »

Wow. What a train wreck this thread is turning out to be. Sad.

Anyway, can anyone, preferably someone who knows how to click on a link and read a direct quote from an official Vatican document like Pastor Aeternus so that I don't accused of taking things out of context or being "anti-Catholic" even though I've provided the context and am just asking a question, answer my question as to how "Therefore, they stray from the right course who assert that it is lawful to appeal from the judgments of the Roman Pontiffs to an Ecumenical Council, as if to an authority higher than that of the Roman Pontiff" does not mean that the Roman Pope is considered to be above an ecumenical council? I mean, that whole phrase "as if to an authority higher than the Roman Pontiff" pretty plainly means that an ecumenical council is not be considered a higher authority than Roman Pope -- i.e., he is above its authority, right? His judgment cannot be overruled by it. That's what being above an ecumenical council means, no? I am fully aware of other documents issued by the Vatican that say things about how authority is expressed in council in the RCC (via the Pope together with the magesterium or whatever), but that doesn't make Pastor Aeternus magically not include the quoted portion which says that the Pope has greater authority than the ecumenical council, and indeed I don't see the two ideas as necessarily contradictory, insofar as authority being expressed in council doesn't mean that the Pope isn't ultimately higher than it. (Sort of like the inverse of what we have in Orthodoxy, where the Patriarch chairs the synod but is subject to its judgment, should the need arise for him to be censured. It would be improper, ecclesiastically and historically, to switch that around and say "okay, now the Patriarch is not subject to the authority of the synod", but it's not like it's impossible to envision, since...um...Rome already did just that. :/)

Maybe one of our faithful RC posters can explain this, if this is not what Pastor Aeternus is saying, and somehow the Pope is actually subject to the judgement of a council.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #623 on: January 12, 2014, 02:41:48 PM »

If people really want to know what Catholics say...

Please click the hyperlink at the top of each section in order to verify the accuracy of all quotations herein.  All emphases are mine.

Roman Catholic Code of Canon Law

Art. 1

THE ROMAN PONTIFF

Can. 331 The bishop of the Roman Church, in whom continues the office given by the Lord uniquely to Peter, the first of the Apostles, and to be transmitted to his successors, is the head of the college of bishops, the Vicar of Christ, and the pastor of the universal Church on earth. By virtue of his office he possesses supreme, full, immediate, and universal ordinary power in the Church, which he is always able to exercise freely.

Can. 332 §1. The Roman Pontiff obtains full and supreme power in the Church by his acceptance of legitimate election together with episcopal consecration. Therefore, a person elected to the supreme pontificate who is marked with episcopal character obtains this power from the moment of acceptance. If the person elected lacks episcopal character, however, he is to be ordained a bishop immediately.

§2. If it happens that the Roman Pontiff resigns his office, it is required for validity that the resignation is made freely and properly manifested but not that it is accepted by anyone.

Can. 333 §1. By virtue of his office, the Roman Pontiff not only possesses power offer the universal Church but also obtains the primacy of ordinary power offer all particular churches and groups of them. Moreover, this primacy strengthens and protects the proper, ordinary, and immediate power which bishops possess in the particular churches entrusted to their care.

§2. In fulfilling the office of supreme pastor of the Church, the Roman Pontiff is always joined in communion with the other bishops and with the universal Church. He nevertheless has the right, according to the needs of the Church, to determine the manner, whether personal or collegial, of exercising this office.

§3. No appeal or recourse is permitted against a sentence or decree of the Roman Pontiff.

Can. 334 Bishops assist the Roman Pontiff in exercising his office. They are able to render him cooperative assistance in various ways, among which is the synod of bishops. The cardinals also assist him, as do other persons and various institutes according to the needs of the times. In his name and by his authority, all these persons and institutes fulfill the function entrusted to them for the good of all the churches, according to the norms defined by law.

Can. 335 When the Roman See is vacant or entirely impeded, nothing is to be altered in the governance of the universal Church; the special laws issued for these circumstances, however, are to be observed.

Art. 2

THE COLLEGE OF BISHOPS

Can. 336 The college of bishops, whose head is the Supreme Pontiff and whose members are bishops by virtue of sacramental consecration and hierarchical communion with the head and members of the college and in which the apostolic body continues, together with its head and never without this head, is also the subject of supreme and full power offer the universal Church.

Can. 337 §1. The college of bishops exercises power offer the universal Church in a solemn manner in an ecumenical council.

§2. It exercises the same power through the united action of the bishops dispersed in the world, which the Roman Pontiff has publicly declared or freely accepted as such so that it becomes a true collegial act.

§3. It is for the Roman Pontiff, according to the needs of the Church, to select and promote the ways by which the college of bishops is to exercise its function collegially regarding the universal Church.

Can. 338 §1. It is for the Roman Pontiff alone to convoke an ecumenical council, preside offer it personally or through others, transfer, suspend, or dissolve a council, and to approve its decrees.

§2. It is for the Roman Pontiff to determine the matters to be treated in a council and establish the order to be observed in a council. To the questions proposed by the Roman Pontiff, the council fathers can add others which are to be approved by the Roman Pontiff.

Can. 339 §1. All the bishops and only the bishops who are members of the college of bishops have the right and duty to take part in an ecumenical council with a deliberative vote.

§2. Moreover, some others who are not bishops can be called to an ecumenical council by the supreme authority of the Church, to whom it belongs to determine their roles in the council.

Can. 340 If the Apostolic See becomes vacant during the celebration of a council, the council is interrupted by the law itself until the new Supreme Pontiff orders it to be continued or dissolves it.

Can. 341 §1. The decrees of an ecumenical council do not have obligatory force unless they have been approved by the Roman Pontiff together with the council fathers, confirmed by him, and promulgated at his order.

§2. To have obligatory force, decrees which the college of bishops issues when it places a truly collegial action in another way initiated or freely accepted by the Roman Pontiff need the same confirmation and promulgation.

CHAPTER II.

THE SYNOD OF BISHOPS

Can. 342 The synod of bishops is a group of bishops who have been chosen from different regions of the world and meet together at fixed times to foster closer unity between the Roman Pontiff and bishops, to assist the Roman Pontiff with their counsel in the preservation and growth of faith and morals and in the observance and strengthening of ecclesiastical discipline, and to consider questions pertaining to the activity of the Church in the world.

Can. 343 It is for the synod of bishops to discuss the questions for consideration and express its wishes but not to resolve them or issue decrees about them unless in certain cases the Roman Pontiff has endowed it with deliberative power, in which case he ratifies the decisions of the synod.

Can. 344 The synod of bishops is directly subject to the authority of the Roman Pontiff who:

1/ convokes a synod as often as it seems opportune to him and designates the place where its sessions are to be held;

2/ radios the election of members who must be elected according to the norm of special law and designates and appoints other members;

3/ determines at an appropriate time before the celebration of a synod the contents of the questions to be treated, according to the norm of special law;

4/ defines the agenda;

5/ presides at the synod personally or through others;

6/ concludes, transfers, suspends, and dissolves the synod.

Can. 345 The synod of bishops can be assembled in a general session, that is, one which treats matters that directly pertain to the good of the universal Church; such a session is either ordinary or extraordinary. It can also be assembled in a special session, namely, one which considers affairs that directly pertain to a determinate region or regions.

Can. 346 §1. A synod of bishops assembled in an ordinary general session consists of members of whom the greater part are bishops elected for each session by the conferences of bishops according to the method determined by the special law of the synod; others are designated by virtue of the same law; others are appointed directly by the Roman Pontiff; to these are added some members of clerical religious institutes elected according to the norm of the same special law.

§2. A synod of bishops gathered in an extraordinary general session to treat affairs which require a speedy solution consists of members of whom the greater part are bishops designated by the special law of the synod by reason of the office which they hold; others are appointed directly by the Roman Pontiff; to these are added some members of clerical religious institutes elected according to the norm of the same law.

§3. A synod of bishops gathered in a special session consists of members especially selected from those regions for which it was called, according to the norm of the special law which governs the synod.

Can. 347 §1. When the Roman Pontiff concludes a session of the synod of bishops, the function entrusted in it to the bishops and other members ceases.

§2. If the Apostolic See becomes vacant after a synod is convoked or during its celebration, the session of the synod and the function entrusted to its members are suspended by the law itself until the new Pontiff has decided to dissolve or continue the session.

Can. 348 §1. The synod of bishops has a permanent general secretariat presided offer by a general secretary who is appointed by the Roman Pontiff and assisted by the council of the secretariat. This council consists of bishops, some of whom are elected by the synod of bishops itself according to the norm of special law while others are appointed by the Roman Pontiff. The function of all these ceases when a new general session begins.

§2. Furthermore, for each session of the synod of bishops one or more special secretaries are constituted who are appointed by the Roman Pontiff and remain in the office entrusted to them only until the session of the synod has been completed.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:43:59 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

The New World Order (1943 to present):

Jesuit Provincial > Jesuit Order > Jesuit Superior > Mor < Roman Pontiff < Illuminati Families < Holy See < UN
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #624 on: January 12, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »

So, lets get back to it.  Where does the Catholic Church teach the Pope is SUPERIOR to an Ecumenical Council.  Stop with the word games and get right to the heart of it, Catholic Church teachings.  I have provided CCC (you know, the Catechism of the Catholic Church) sources which deny the claims, but now its up to you guys to prove.  

And in case you missed it the first time:

[CCC 891] "The Roman Pontiff, head of the college of bishops, enjoys this infallibility in virtue of his office, when,
as supreme pastor and teacher of all the faithful - who confirms his brethren in the faith - he proclaims by a
definitive act a doctrine pertaining to faith and morals ... The infallibility promised to the Church is also present in
the body of bishops when, together with Peter's successor, they exercise the Supreme Magisterium,"
above all in
an Ecumenical Council.
When the Church through its supreme Magisterium proposes a doctrine "for belief as
being divinely revealed," and as the teaching of Christ, the definitions "must be adhered to with the obedience of
faith. This infallibility extends as far as the deposit of Divine Revelation itself.

(for those still confused on what the CC actually teaches, not what you heard one day at the bus stop)

Go...

It's not funny, but tragic.  Sad  Cry  Cry

So, you have nothing?  I am honestly surprised, but I was at least hoping for something substantial.  Tragic indeed.  You are usually really good at this, but I suppose we all have our moments.  Around these parts, the anti-Catholicism is stronger than sensible discourse.  What is tragic about my defending something or someone against false accusations (lies)?  I don't have to agree with them to defend what is right.

I hope this teaches some of you something very serious.  It is one thing to make a claim; it is another to actually back it up.  It also should show you probably should actually know what you are talking about before you start blasting someone or something (i.e., 95% of what is said on this forum regarding the Catholic Church).
Like you ever backed up a claim you made on this forum. Roll Eyes
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #625 on: January 12, 2014, 03:13:51 PM »

Kerdy seems to see anti-Catholicism everywhere, real or not.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #626 on: January 12, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »

Actually, "presides" doesn't mean superior. I've presided over a number of executive council meetings myself, yet I could never do anything executive in those councils without the consent of the rest of the council. I know that my experience is totally unrelated to any kind of church council, but I think it does prove my point that "presides" does NOT mean superior. There may be other reasons to believe that the papacy sees itself as superior even to an ecumenical council, or there may be not. That's not something I want to argue at the moment. My point is simply that one's presidency over a council does NOT make one superior to the council and that your equating of "presides" with superiority is therefore a very weak argument.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:43:39 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #627 on: January 12, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »

Happy Epiphany everyone!
Actually it's a battle of wits between one Orthodox who speaking the truth and another one(or two) who is distorting it. Wink
But that doesn't negate the fact that the argument is between Orthodox and Orthodox. Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #628 on: January 12, 2014, 03:33:12 PM »

It seems like everyone who is Sicilian or partly is the worst. At least the female variety.

No need to be so imaginary on this thread. Tongue
crazyms

« Reply #629 on: January 12, 2014, 08:01:30 PM »

Didn't read through the whole thread but the reason I looked into the Catholics is because of convenience. There's a church in almost every town and the resources are great. There's a ton of Catholic specific homeschool stuff and things for kids. Add the fact that there are services EVERY day of the week and multiple times on Sunday makes it a lot easier to get to church. If only I could get past that pope thing...
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: