OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 07:09:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is RCC so attractive?  (Read 11925 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2012, 12:33:08 PM »

Yes, there are. But the community itself, or better saying, the ties of love in it, is more important than those. for some people, the rules are the most important things, for others they are not important at all (I think both are wrong), but it is about love and being part of the same community of Jesus and the Apostles. Unfortunately, non-Chalcedonians, Romans and Protestants, despite keeping some right practices and beliefs, no longer are part of that community.

That's the case because being the true church is not about following a set of rules, rituals and/or behaviour. It's about being a member of the same community of the Apostles and Jesus.

To certain extent,EO and RCC are quite similar.Why would Orthodox Church think that RCC is not the "True Church" of God? What are the MAIN difference between RCC and EO?
Are there any  rules, rituals and behaviours in Orthodox Church?

THe biggest difference between EO and RCC is that EO focus on "Love" while RCC focus too much on rules, rituals and behaviours  but forget about "Love".
Can I say in this way?

I'd say no.  You can't generalize this away.  There are differences, some very major, but most are subtle and cannot simply be explained with sweeping generalizations like this.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
izrima

Faith: Raised Catholic, Inquiring Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rome/OCA

« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2012, 12:51:35 PM »

Yes, there are. But the community itself, or better saying, the ties of love in it, is more important than those. for some people, the rules are the most important things, for others they are not important at all (I think both are wrong), but it is about love and being part of the same community of Jesus and the Apostles. Unfortunately, non-Chalcedonians, Romans and Protestants, despite keeping some right practices and beliefs, no longer are part of that community.

That's the case because being the true church is not about following a set of rules, rituals and/or behaviour. It's about being a member of the same community of the Apostles and Jesus.

To certain extent,EO and RCC are quite similar.Why would Orthodox Church think that RCC is not the "True Church" of God? What are the MAIN difference between RCC and EO?

THe biggest difference between EO and RCC is that EO focus on "Love" while RCC focus too much on rules, rituals and behaviours  but forget about "Love".
Can I say in this way?

That would be a gross oversimplification. To say the RCC forgets about love is just not true. Please, go to a RC soup kitchen in your town. Tell me there is no love there. Or ask a Catholic who has a spiritual director if they love and feel loved by that person. Or ask someone who went to a Catholic school if parents cared enough to pay extra to send their kids there and that teachers commonly took less money to teach there.

Again, the RCC has problems or else I would not be converting to Orthodoxy. But to tar the RCC with these broad strokes is unfair. You don't need to speak ill of Catholics to be a good Orthodox person. It's much better to just focus on being a good Orthodox person than to spend your time dissecting why Catholics are wrong.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »

Can I say in this way?

That would be a gross oversimplification. To say the RCC forgets about love is just not true. Please, go to a RC soup kitchen in your town. Tell me there is no love there. Or ask a Catholic who has a spiritual director if they love and feel loved by that person. Or ask someone who went to a Catholic school if parents cared enough to pay extra to send their kids there and that teachers commonly took less money to teach there.

Again, the RCC has problems or else I would not be converting to Orthodoxy. But to tar the RCC with these broad strokes is unfair. You don't need to speak ill of Catholics to be a good Orthodox person. It's much better to just focus on being a good Orthodox person than to spend your time dissecting why Catholics are wrong.

Yes!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:26:28 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »

Can I say in this way?

Yes!

Where's the love for my post? It was even better.

It even preempted this ridiculous notion about the absence of love.

You know J. Michael, if you reward behavior in others you find to be an improvement over their typical behavior, you increase the chances of it happening again.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2012, 03:44:43 PM »

Reasons why it's attractive to me:
1. It's not weird to be a devout Catholic in the USA
2. More anonymity
3. More systematic
4. Occasionally it follows western liturgical traditions
5. Less asceticism
6. Many charities, hospitals, schools
7. Part of my heritage and family

Reasons why it's unattractive
1. Even the 'conservative' liturgical parishes I know of have stuff that would cause huge scandal in Orthodox churches
2. Papal infallibility, supremacy, other doctrinal stuff

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2012, 04:00:34 PM »

Can I say in this way?

Yes!

1. Where's the love for my post? It was even better.

It even preempted this ridiculous notion about the absence of love.

2. You know J. Michael, if you reward behavior in others you find to be an improvement over their typical behavior, you increase the chances of it happening again.

1.  It was?  Well, it's comforting to know that *you* think so, anyway  Grin.

2. Thank you for your words of wisdom.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2012, 04:33:23 PM »

2. More anonymity
3. More systematic
5. Less asceticism

That's a good thing now?

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2012, 04:36:43 PM »

2. More anonymity
3. More systematic
5. Less asceticism

That's a good thing now?

Dude you pretend to be an American and dress up for Halloween and play video games and whatever else frivolous goes on.

Some people are just more honest.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2012, 04:38:23 PM »

2. More anonymity
3. More systematic
5. Less asceticism

That's a good thing now?

Dude you pretend to be an American and dress up for Halloween and play video games and whatever else frivolous goes on.

I guess so.

-Samuel Coleridge
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2012, 04:43:55 PM »

2. More anonymity
3. More systematic
5. Less asceticism

That's a good thing now?

I guess so.

I know so.

Anyone who beats the ascetic drum of Orthodoxy is certainly not practicing it. Kinda like humility. When people close their messages about their worthlessness and ineffectual nature of their prayers, you can be sure an enormous grandiosity lies beneath.

Those people can keep their worthless prayers.

To paraphrase the neech: Christians are always bragging about the blood of others.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 04:44:30 PM by orthonorm » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »

1- Latin.  But they don't use it anymore.

2- The girls.  There's just something about Catholic girls.  Maybe I just have the hots for Mexicans and Irish redheads.  IDK.

3- I really like their prayer book.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »

Well, at least I can at least say in my defence that I'm not Orthodox and I do have a huge admiration for those ascetic monks and desert fathers.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 04:51:47 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »

2. More anonymity
3. More systematic
5. Less asceticism

That's a good thing now?

It's both good and bad, I guess. Good because it's a light yoke and bad because it's lax.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »

Well, at least I can at least say in my defence that I'm not Orthodox and I do have a huge admiration for those ascetic monks and desert fathers.

Yeah, as neech pointed out, Christians can be some real fanbois and expect demand everyone to be another idol for them to fawn over.

But they don't do a whole lot themselves.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2012, 05:00:30 PM »

Christians can be some real fanbois and expect demand everyone to be another idol for them to fawn over.

I didn't do that, I only pointed out that "less asceticism" isn't a virtue. But if you want to judge me from behind your keyboard be my guest.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:03:41 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:57 PM »

Christians can be some real fanbois and expect demand everyone to be another idol for them to fawn over.

I didn't do that, I only pointed out that "less asceticism" isn't a virtue. But if you want to judge me from behind your keyboard be my guest.

Is the second person singular pronoun or your name in my post?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:10:14 PM by orthonorm » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2012, 05:13:13 PM »

Yeah, as neech pointed out, Christians can be some real fanbois and expect demand everyone to be another idol for them to fawn over.

But they don't do a whole lot themselves.

Are you a Christian?  An Orthodox Christian?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2012, 05:18:21 PM »

1. Big, influential and well organised
2. Scholasticism
3. Diverse

1. It's destroying it's own traditions and customs.
2. The teachings do not fit of those from the 1st millennium.
3. Some teachings that are supposed to be logical and simple are illogical and create paradoxes.
4. No traditional for my nationality and does not fit my background.
5. Orthodox girls are hotter (at least here).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2012, 05:18:58 PM »

But if you want to judge me from behind your keyboard be my guest.

And to this silly Christian notion.

We all do.

We judge all the time.

It is impossible not to.

Just acknowledging you exist in some manner is a judgement.

I have all kindsa judgement about you.

You're Dutch.
You're younger than I am.
You post on oc.net.
You seem smarter than most people nearly everyone I encounter.
You have a knack for language.
You do a lot with your time.
You are male.
You are tall.
You are thin.
You probably would do well to read some serious thought instead of Patristics, so I wouldn't have to be typing this.

And those are just some of the judgements upon which I am able to reflect.

Who knows the multitude of prejudices that I carry which allow me to encounter you at in the first place.

Without judgement, actually it is impossible to even comprehend in virtue of the fact I must judge to do so.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:20:55 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2012, 05:20:20 PM »

1. Big, influential and well organised
2. Scholasticism
3. Diverse

1. It's destroying it's own traditions and customs.
2. The teachings do not fit of those from the 1st millennium.
3. Some teachings that are supposed to be logical and simple are illogical and create paradoxes.
4. No traditional for my nationality and does not fit my background.
5. Orthodox girls are hotter (at least here).

Just when I think you are incomprehensible . . .

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »

What don't you understand?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »

What don't you understand?

Oh a joke about the Scholasticism (which I don't understand).

Then you won me back with the girls (which who couldn't understand).

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2012, 05:31:05 PM »

No hard feelings, orthonorm. I let myself go, sorry for that. You're a nice guy. (See? A judgment!)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:32:25 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »

That's not a joke.

I'm taking engineering studies. I consider myself to be a rational person. I am even sometimes laughed at that I suffer from some light form of autism. That all makes logical and orderly scholasticism very appealing to me. It'd simplify many things.

I do realise that it's a wrong approach to theology but it'd be nice if if wasn't.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:36:27 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »

What kind of autism?

I'm just curious because I diagnosed myself with Asperger's.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »

What kind of autism?

These are only friends' jokes. I'm not diagnosed with anything (that does not mean I wouldn't have been if I had been tested).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2012, 06:05:21 PM »

No hard feelings, orthonorm. I let myself go, sorry for that.

De nada!

Hard feelings? You have to more than that!

Become an humorless bore, then we will talk.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2012, 06:06:24 PM »

That's not a joke.

I'm taking engineering studies. I consider myself to be a rational person. I am even sometimes laughed at that I suffer from some light form of autism. That all makes logical and orderly scholasticism very appealing to me. It'd simplify many things.

I do realise that it's a wrong approach to theology but it'd be nice if if wasn't.

I meant I was making a joke about Scholasticism rendering you incomprehensible and then winning me back.

Bad, bad joke since I have spent this much time explaining it.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »

What kind of autism?

These are only friends' jokes. I'm not diagnosed with anything (that does not mean I wouldn't have been if I had been tested).

Autism is the diagnosis of the day. If you were in America, you could get a diagnosis no problem.

Everyone is autistic to some level, which while true, it seems many medical professionals forget about the whole "disordering" aspect of disorders.

Usually what is disordered is the family or society these people are in.

Different context, slightly different, no problem.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2012, 06:19:43 PM »

Oh and autistic is just polite for idiot.

And everyone is an idiot to some degree. We live at times in worlds which are nearly impenetrable by others.

In fact, one could say this is always the case, hence the angst people have with subjectivity.

To look at another who matters so much to you and realize the nearly infinite gap between the two of you is unsettling. So we like to settle it.

Writ large, you can see the same reaction among people who have such hysterical denial about subjectivity as such.

They paint subjectivity and subjectivism as some hyper-relativism which is untenable and seek to destroy subjectivity and thus the other in the process.

We are all the same.
We are all human.
Everyone means well.
God created us equal.
Everyone is a product of their environment.
Everyone is a product of their genes.
Nothing matters.
Everyone is different.
God favors some but not all.
Everything is relative.

Empty banalities to avoid the impotence we have in front everyone we encounter.

Not to go off an a crazy tangent, but since I am riffing, this is where Sartre was nearly correct. It is not that we all free, but rather none of us are, and we are in the end utterly powerless over the other's subjectivity (the latter he made an exquisite case for).

I'll stop.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2012, 06:27:45 PM »

Autism is the diagnosis of the day. If you were in America, you could get a diagnosis no problem.

And here 50% of the society thinks it can be cured with spanking. I love the diversity!

I have to confess I understood nothing from your 2nd post.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:28:44 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2012, 06:34:29 PM »

And here 50% of the society thinks it can be cured with spanking. I love the diversity!

I have to confess I understood nothing from your 2nd post.

Do you mean in Poland or America?

Most of the people I am around (in a serious way) are sane enough for spanking to be pretty much verboten, but they are not necessarily better at altering their kids behavior due to the lack of consistency in reward / punishment and keeping their expectations of their children's locus of control reasonable.

People in encounter frequently throughout my day (bus, walk down the street, whatever) pretty threaten to beat their kids as the first course of action and that threat continue until it is the 15th course of action.

Then they beat their kids or the situation is over and the kid has learned that the threat means nothing.

Worse than that sometimes they suggest hit the kid without any warning.

Couple the two above and you have the same psychological ploy which will attract women I referring to in the other thread.

Makes for terrible parenting and grossly dependent relationships and gambling problems.

The power the technique is nearly supernatural.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:34:48 PM by orthonorm » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2012, 06:35:33 PM »

The fact you understood any post of mine, BTW, evidently is a miracle according to some around here.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2012, 06:38:41 PM »

In Poland.

I've exaggerated a bit. Someone spanking his child in public would likely cause some negative reactions. The belief that spanking is a no-no gradually rises within the society but it's commonly believed that autistic/Aspenger's/similar childred just need proper upbringing.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »

In Poland.

I've exaggerated a bit. Someone spanking his child in public would likely cause some negative reactions. The belief that spanking is a no-no gradually rises within the society but it's commonly believed that autistic/Aspenger's/similar childred just need proper upbringing.

If they are truly autistic that is insane.

But I have seen many cases (used to be ADHD) where lack of consistency in the household along with a relative decent level of income = ADHD, now "autism".

Poor people get such disorders a lot less often. And it ain't just for lack of medical care.

The behavior are just not "problems".

But spanking will not work to cure autism, although crushing them a little works a lot to alleviate much of the distress caused by it.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »

In Poland.

Michal, never come to America, guess you probably have seen a thread about here. It has to have happened.

But it is somewhat sad to see parents argue that beating kids is some God given right.

I am not against corporal punishment per se, but most people who are "for" it are the ones who probably should be forbade it.

You can usually tell who the really crazy ones are as they will emphasize the first person possessive:

Nobody had the right to tell me how to discipline MY kids.

*vomit*

No one probably has the "right" but it would probably be a good idea if they did.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:46:01 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »

What I like about it:

1. Spirituality (devotions, Rosary, chaplets, etc.) and Incarnational focus
2. Latin Mass
3. Organization and influence
4. Scholasticism
5. Neat saints
6. Statues

What I don't like about it:

1. Papal infallability, supremacy, universal jurisdiction
2. Scholasticism
3. Novus Ordo
4. Liberal and modernist brands of Catholicism
5. Our Lady of Fatima
6. Priest celibacy
7. A bit too ecumenist even for me after Vatican II
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2012, 11:31:59 PM »

Nephi, you forgot one of the good things:

Italian food. Wink

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »

One other thing that is nice about the RCC is you can go to mass and leave at the end and on the way to your car if people say hi it generally is just "hi."  I'm not a fan of the protestant fellowship coffee hour that many Orthodox parishes have.

God forbid that in a place where we are a minority, that we ought to try to socialize with our fellow Orthodox Christians, or have any sense of community, especially since those Protestants  were the first to start doing it.

I think he's referring to the "WHY DONT YOU COME AND JOIN US AT COFFEE HOUR?!" mentality that's often present.  It can be incredibly stressful for introvert types and very off putting.  Forcing people to socialize is not fostering community.

People who don't want to can leave after the liturgy. When did we forget how to say no in this passive-aggressive society?

You've apparently never experienced the "helpful" parishoner who "gently" guides visitors by the arm into the hall after being repeatedly told, "No, I'm sorry I can't stay."

Or have been confronted by three or four of the "welcoming committee" en masse who understand that you have to leave but really just want to show you their beautiful hall and, "Oh, here's a cup of coffee and this is so and so...don't you know her father literally helped build this church...and this is her daughter she's going to marry a priest someday say are you interested in going to seminary..."

The problem isn't that people don't know how to ,"No."  It's that people don't know how to take, "No, thank you," for an answer.

If you're not an introvert (or have some other social anxiety), you have absolutely no idea what this heavy-handed approach at fostering community can do to you and how it can literally make you run away.

Contrast that to every RCC parish I've ever been a part of where coffee hour exists, it's known, and if you want to come, great.  If not, see you next Sunday and have a lovely week.

This response of psychological terror sounds not like introversion, but mental imbalance. I'm an introvert, but I've never experience such psychological scarring worthy of Stalin's dreams.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2012, 11:38:06 PM »

psychological scarring worthy of Stalin's dreams.

Not getting the reference. Could you enlighten me? Link or otherwise?

Help a pinko out . . .

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2012, 11:39:41 PM »

psychological scarring worthy of Stalin's dreams.

Not getting the reference. Could you enlighten me? Link or otherwise?

Help a pinko out . . .

If you look up novels by Robin White or Robert Harris, a couple of them deal with that.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2012, 11:41:06 PM »

Nephi, you forgot one of the good things:

Italian food. Wink

You're right. That should've been number 1. Cheesy
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #177 on: November 28, 2012, 07:04:28 AM »

What I like about it:

1. Latin Mass
2. Latin Fathers (Sts. Ambrose, Augustine, etc.)
3. Scholasticism
4. Diversity. Many different rites. Latin, eastern and oriental theology is allowed to co-exist to some degree.

1. Papal infallability, universal jurisdiction, filioque
2. Novus Ordo
3. Silly devotions like the sacred heart and an obsession with private revelations (these two often go hand in hand)
4. The bad kind of ecumenism
5. The focus on the flesh and emotions. This is often seen in their art, devotions etc.
6. Extreme legalism which causes OCD.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:06:16 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Samuel Coleridge
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #178 on: November 28, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »

What I like about it:

1. Latin Mass
3. Scholasticism
4. Diversity. Many different rites. Latin, eastern and oriental theology is allowed to co-exist to some degree.

2. Novus Ordo
3. Silly devotions like the sacred heart and an obsession with private revelations (these two often go hand in hand)
5. The focus on the flesh and emotions. This is often seen in their art, devotions etc.
I have OCD, and from what I understand, it's genetic. It doesn't come from the Church.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #179 on: November 28, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »

What I like about it:

1. Latin Mass
3. Scholasticism

2. Novus Ordo
I have OCD, and from what I understand, it's genetic. It doesn't come from the Church.

And here I thought it was an extreme coping mechanism.  And if you really suffered from it, you'd know that it's CDO Grin Grin.  I blame extremely poor parenting.  Not the Church.  Definitely not the Church.  Legalism doesn't cause OCD, but in some it could be symptomatic of it.

EDIT:  Btw, Chris, I'm not making fun of OCD.  I know too many people, my wife included, who suffer from it.  It can be a very heavy cross to bear.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:47:09 AM by J Michael » Logged

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: