OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 03:50:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Old CAF Crowd Will Love This!  (Read 20830 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #720 on: August 12, 2013, 09:34:01 PM »

Maybe I shouldn't have said the Orthodox are a bit shocked at that. More precisely, the reaction is typically something like "Well then you aren't a real Eastern Catholic." (One of these days I'm going to try asking a WRO his/her beliefs, listening to the answer and then saying "Well then you aren't a real WRO.")

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #721 on: August 12, 2013, 09:46:17 PM »

Orthodox on CAF actually tell Eastern Catholics "you aren't a real Eastern Catholic"? Admittedly I do not post on that message board anymore, so perhaps it does go on now and I don't know about it, but I never saw such a thing in my years of posting there, and it seems rather far-fetched. Why would any Orthodox person say that? Orthodox people definitely aren't Eastern Catholics, so it makes very little sense that they would see themselves fit to say who is or isn't an Eastern Catholic. Weird.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #722 on: August 12, 2013, 09:52:01 PM »

Orthodox on CAF actually tell Eastern Catholics "you aren't a real Eastern Catholic"? Admittedly I do not post on that message board anymore, so perhaps it does go on now and I don't know about it, but I never saw such a thing in my years of posting there, and it seems rather far-fetched. Why would any Orthodox person say that? Orthodox people definitely aren't Eastern Catholics, so it makes very little sense that they would see themselves fit to say who is or isn't an Eastern Catholic. Weird.
During my time there, I remember Eastern Orthodox Christians telling Eastern Catholics, "You are really not Eastern."

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #723 on: August 12, 2013, 09:52:08 PM »

Maybe I shouldn't have said the Orthodox are a bit shocked at that. More precisely, the reaction is typically something like "Well then you aren't a real Eastern Catholic." (One of these days I'm going to try asking a WRO his/her beliefs, listening to the answer and then saying "Well then you aren't a real WRO.")
Of course they're not a real Eastern Catholic.  If they were, they wouldn't believe what the Vatican says.  

Goes for Western Catholics too: the WRO are Catholic precisely because they believe what Orthodoxy, and not the Vatican, says.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #724 on: August 12, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »

During my time there, I remember Eastern Orthodox Christians telling Eastern Catholics, "You are really not Eastern."

That's not the same thing that Peter J said, though.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #725 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:20 PM »

Orthodox on CAF actually tell Eastern Catholics "you aren't a real Eastern Catholic"?

Correction: not on CAF. (These days CAF might be the last place I would expect Orthodox to say anything like that.)

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #726 on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:49 PM »

Of course they're not a real Eastern Catholic.  If they were, they wouldn't believe what the Vatican says. 

Goes for Western Catholics too: the WRO are Catholic precisely because they believe what Orthodoxy, and not the Vatican, says.

Huh, haven't heard that before. Wink  Tongue

But seriously, I meant "Well then you aren't a real Eastern Catholic" in the sense of "You aren't really Eastern."

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #727 on: August 12, 2013, 10:21:54 PM »

Orthodox on CAF actually tell Eastern Catholics "you aren't a real Eastern Catholic"?

Correction: not on CAF. (These days CAF might be the last place I would expect Orthodox to say anything like that.)

Oh, okay. Sorry for misunderstanding you, Peter. I could see how it could happen here, given Orthodox use of the word "Catholic" self-referentially, but the idea that it would happen at CAF had me scratching my head.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #728 on: August 12, 2013, 10:40:38 PM »

Smiley

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #729 on: August 12, 2013, 10:52:48 PM »

You mean to tell us that there are still Orthodox stragglers on CAF?  They must be incognito.....
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #730 on: August 13, 2013, 04:55:27 AM »

You mean to tell us that there are still Orthodox stragglers on CAF?  They must be incognito.....

There are still a few.

Mickey
OC.net guru

Faith: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #731 on: August 13, 2013, 02:54:42 PM »

There are still a few.

They banned me about two weeks.  I asked them to do it...in fact I begged them!  Grin

The environment was too toxic for me.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #732 on: August 13, 2013, 04:09:07 PM »

There are still a few.

They banned me about two weeks.  I asked them to do it...in fact I begged them!  Grin

The environment was too toxic for me.
In what way?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #733 on: January 12, 2014, 03:54:50 PM »

This video, The Magician's Twin: C.S. Lewis and the Case against Scientism, isn't about robots specifically, but posters might like it. I did.

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #734 on: January 12, 2014, 08:10:52 PM »

This video, The Magician's Twin: C.S. Lewis and the Case against Scientism, isn't about robots specifically, but posters might like it. I did.

Excellent case against Scientism....
Tags: CAF Borg ConstantineTG boring angry 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: