Author Topic: English doubts thread  (Read 258 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • Be good works the daily nourishment of your hearts
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
English doubts thread
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »
Maybe we could open a thread where users, native or not, could ask questions about English. Grammar details, vocabulary, the validity of certain constructions or expressions, etc.

Me first: I saw a headline saying something like "I told a man is tall", in the sense of "I told a man that he is tall". Is this correct?
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Please pray for myself, my family and my friends.

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: English doubts thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 10:32:09 AM »
Where was this headline?  Sometimes headlines might not outright make sense, since it is not always meant to be a "sentence".
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:32:47 AM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RaphaCam

• Archon
  • Be good works the daily nourishment of your hearts
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »
Where was this headline?  Sometimes headlines might not outright make sense, since it is not always meant to be a "sentence".
The Daily Wire. I changed the original sentence to makesee it less political for the appropriate board.
"Behold, the mystical sacrifice, fully accomplished, is ushered in. In fervent faith let us draw near, that we may become sharers in everlasting life. Alleluia."

Please pray for myself, my family and my friends.

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Fontes de fé da Igreja Ortodoxa

Online Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 11:46:16 AM »
Maybe we could open a thread where users, native or not, could ask questions about English. Grammar details, vocabulary, the validity of certain constructions or expressions, etc.

Me first: I saw a headline saying something like "I told a man is tall", in the sense of "I told a man that he is tall". Is this correct?

No or not necessarily. The headline is so poorly written that one can logically conclude that it is a misprint and there are plenty of possibilities. For example, I'm told a man is taller, but I prefer, I sold a man his tail, and of course there is more.

Perhaps you should get another source for news.

"Mi tío es enfermo, pero la carretera es verde!" - old Chilean saying

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
I told a man "he" is tall?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Gamliel

• Protokentarchos
  • "Truth is born as lightning strikes -- Archilochos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 11:58:09 AM »
Either that with quotation marks or I told a man that he is tall without quotation marks.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Toumarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »
A common mistake I see northern Europeans making is where, in a sentence, if the subject is plural, they will make the verb "plural" too by adding "s" at the end. E.g., "For the black hills consists of black souls, souls that already dies one thousand deaths" (from Emperor's song, "I am the Black Wizards")
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles