OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 07:08:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you take care of spills?  (Read 633 times) Average Rating: 0
choy
Archon

« on: October 29, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »

If some Precious Blood of our Lord dripped onto your clothes, or a baby's bib, how is it taken care of?

This happened to me yesterday (in the Eastern Catholic Church) and I put my child's bib in hot water and then when the stain is gone, I poured the water into the ground.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »

It can be burned, or the priest can wash it carefully. The red communion cloths get washed.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »

The priest instructed me to do what I did.  I guess if there is no stain (it is a white bib so the red stain is obvious) then I guess I can proceed to put it in the washer, correct?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »

I've never had to do it, but I think things are hand washed and the water is poured on the ground where no one would walk.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 04:24:47 PM »

some churches have a special drain that goes into the ground:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piscina#Eastern_Christianity

Proverbs 22:7
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »

I've never had to do it, but I think things are hand washed and the water is poured on the ground where no one would walk.

Yup, I mean I've already washed it in water only once, and is now in water again for the second time.  I can see that no stain remains on the bib itelf.  It should be okay to put this in the washer now, right?  The second batch of water will also go into the ground by my plants.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »

Yup, I mean I've already washed it in water only once, and is now in water again for the second time.  I can see that no stain remains on the bib itelf.  It should be okay to put this in the washer now, right?  The second batch of water will also go into the ground by my plants.

Might be worth checking with your priest if you have a concern.

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 01:42:39 PM »

Might be worth checking with your priest if you have a concern.

^ Totally agree.  I think after 2 times, and if you don't see anything, you're good to go. 

Honestly, many times it's just easier to burn it. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 12:53:28 PM »

Check with your priest, but historically this has generally been treated very seriously.

I read of a guy who experienced a spill at a monastery on Mt. Athos. The monks restrained him, took his shoe and shirt (probably burned them), another monk picked up every particle of anything in the area of the spill on the tip of his finger and ate it, then came back with a bottle of volatile spirits, doused the area and set it on fire.  

I have read of other places where it fell on carpet, someone knelt down and literally sucked as much as possible out of the carpet, then the place where fell was cut out, burned, and a visible patch put down where it fell, and no one in that temple ever stood on that spot again.

It is my understanding that when the communion cloth is washed, the waste water is not carefully discarded in some place where a human foot will never tread. Some temples have special drains that go straight into the ground under the temple, and use the roots of dense hedges behind the church or similar places.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:53:51 PM by Seraphim98 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: