OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:34:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confirmation?  (Read 701 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: November 23, 2012, 09:50:52 PM »

So one of my Roman Catholic friends told me that his Church delays Confirmation until High-School and this striked me as very odd. What exactly is the reason for this and when did this change come about? I'm no expert at the Orthodox-Catholic polemics like Professor Isa, but from the little bit I do know, delaying Confirmation/Chrismation until High-School seems entirely unpatristic and in violation with years of Church tradition. It seems very Protestant-in-nature and I am suspicious that this change in the Roman Church was either made under the influence of Protestantism or that it was made as a concession to make the Church appear more appealing to Protestants. Either way, this seems to indicate that the Roman Catholic Church is heading in a very negative, loose direction. It seems like it has practically just become a semi-formal mainline Protestant Church--the only difference being that at least the real semi-formal mainline Protestant Churches (like strict Lutherans or Prestbyterians) seem to be more consistent and serious about their beliefs--as heretical as they may be. Whereas it seems like Rome is just handling things willy-nilly. "Oh, they don't like that? Oh well, just change that!" "Hey Pope, I don't like X, can we change this?" "Sure, go right along and change that too!" "This Mass is too long and boring, let's cut the thing in half!" etc. Where is the sense of direction? 

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:53:10 AM »

Everyon here gets confirmation when they are 15-16.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 01:21:45 AM »

In my neck of the woods, RC children are confirmed around seven or eight years old. This has been the norm for as long as I can remember.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 02:32:35 AM »

My high school girlfriend was Catholic and she did not go through the Confirmation process until then.  I think it is to ensure the person knows what they are doing, why they are doing in and want to do it. 
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 02:33:29 AM »

this seems to indicate that the Roman Catholic Church is heading in a very negative, loose direction.  

It's been doing that for well over a thousand years.
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 03:31:23 AM »

My high school girlfriend was Catholic and she did not go through the Confirmation process until then.  I think it is to ensure the person knows what they are doing, why they are doing in and want to do it. 

In other words, the same Protestant logic behind "believer's Baptism"? Delaying Confirmation also seems like it promotes competition between the Sacraments, as if some were more important than others and some less important. Like, why allow infant Baptism but not Confirmation? It would imply that Confirmation were superior to Baptism or something, when in reality all the Sacraments are equal and play their own role.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 03:35:58 AM »

In other words, the same Protestant logic behind "believer's Baptism"? Delaying Confirmation also seems like it promotes competition between the Sacraments, as if some were more important than others and some less important. Like, why allow infant Baptism but not Confirmation? It would imply that Confirmation were superior to Baptism or something, when in reality all the Sacraments are equal and play their own role.

You have it backwards. If anything it would imply that baptism is superior because it's necessary that it be done right away instead of waiting 10 or so years.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 04:14:27 AM »

I think you may be looking at this from the wrong view point.  You and I see it completely differently.  Think of the word Confirmation, and its root word, Confirm.  What do you think the person is confirming?  I just did a google search and there is A LOT of information on this for you to review, if you so choose.  There is a pretty simple video on YouTube called Sacrament 101: Confirmation.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 07:31:31 AM »

this is the history of it:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,48014.msg838637.html#msg838637

confirmation is the same (if you look at comparative traditions) as what we orthodox Christians call chrismation.
the main reason why late confirmation is bad is that it delays Holy Communion.
this is why we allow priests to baptise and chrismate Christians, so that there is no delay.
i don't think you can blame the protestants for this one, as the delay between baptism and chrismation started way before 1500.

childhood is difficult enough, to attempt it without Holy Communion seems to be a useless diversion from a long spiritual journey.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 07:42:13 AM »

the main reason why late confirmation is bad is that it delays Holy Communion.

Roman Catholics have their 1st Communion prior to confirmation (at least here).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 07:45:01 AM »

oh, maybe they invented 'first communion' instead of confirmation, thus adding a new sacremental step!
i wonder when that started? i had assumed 'first communion' followed confirmation.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 07:53:33 AM »

They have first Communion in the age of 8 and confrmation (aka the last sacrament / the sacrament of the farewell with the Church) at the age of 15.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 07:57:27 AM »

They have first Communion in the age of 8 and confrmation (aka the last sacrament / the sacrament of the farewell with the Church) at the age of 15.

I understand this the trend currently here in the States.

Pushing Communion back and pushing Confirmation forward.

Is that the correct use of back and forward? I am not good with time metaphors.

At one time you do did both around age 12 or something. Some RC can offer better details.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:58:24 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Rdunbar123

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 08:15:16 AM »

I was a practicing RC until my reception a yr ago. I am 62.mimhad Communion at 6 and was confirmed at 8. This was the practice at least in hCincinnati. I was surprised that I was not chrismated but received by confession of faith.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 08:20:26 AM »

I was a practicing RC until my reception a yr ago. I am 62.mimhad Communion at 6 and was confirmed at 8. This was the practice at least in hCincinnati. I was surprised that I was not chrismated but received by confession of faith.

Different jurisdictions and Bishops handle the reception of heterodox differently from each and differently depending of the body the heterodox is coming from.

Being received as an RC via a confession of faith and through Confession is not unheard of.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 10:26:52 AM »

My cousins all got confirmed around 12 or so. Whether they had any more idea of what they were getting into than when they were infants is another question.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Frederic

Faith: Roman Catholicism > Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Antioch

St Frederick of Utrecht

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 11:29:16 AM »

When I was RC, I received the following sacraments:

First Communion - grade 4
Confirmation - grade 5
Profession of Faith - grade 7

«One cannot understand the least thing about modern civilization if one does not first realize that it is a universal conspiracy to destroy the inner life.» (George Bernanos)
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 02:22:24 PM »

I was given first communion in second grade and confirmed in eighth grade.

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »

I can add to what Michal Kalina has written that in Poland the preparation to receive this sacrament is really bad organised and that's why it's called "the sacrament of the farewell with the Church". The preparation begins in the last year of the school called gymnasium (it's the secondary school) and ends when it's finishing (not appropriate time because of important exams to High School) or in the beginning of High School (the third school) - also not appropriate, because usually people attend this school in completely different district than they live and of their previous schools. You can ask how the changing of school depends on the Church issues? Well, you prepare for the confirmation in your parish or in the parish which is the closes to gymnasium you attend. And every parish has its own rules for preparation process, and you have 2 options: finish the preparation in your previous parish or discuss with the new one.

The process of preparation consists of going after every Mass and service to priests with special index to sign that you were present and some meetings in groups (but, generally, young people, if they are not believers, make troubles during these meetings). The all stuff is really formalised and I know many people, including me, who although are practicing, couldn't receive the sacrament because of arguments with priests on formal issues and non-believers receive this sacrament, but now they don't attend Church anymore (probably some of them they appear in church again for wedding).

I was expelled from the confirmation just 4 days before the ceremony, because in the parish there were big changes (also in clergymen) and because of my Orthodox views (earlier for them it was not problem). It was really tragic for me, although I was considering conversion to Orthodoxy even before this year of preparation, but my spiritual father said I should be cofirmated in RC Church because in Orthodoxy mainly rituals attract me (of course it was not true, but the fact is that I wasn't prepared to convert in this time when I was 15). Well, generally it's long story and difficult to describe it, however  my unrealized confirmation brought me into Orthodoxy Wink

I know that before the reform of education (there used to be the first and the secondary schools) the situation was a bit better and people used to be confirmated in younger age - 1-2 year after the first Communion in the age of 7-8

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 07:29:15 PM »

Confirmation - grade 5

I received First Communion around age 8, then Confirmation at 12 or so, as far as I remember.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »

rcc wise, i was communed in 2nd grade, and confirmed at 8th grade

loosely remember from the Catechism of the Catholic Church: Communion at the age of reason, 7, and confirmation at 14ish, the age of soemthing i cant remember.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 08:20:48 PM »

Confirmation - grade 5
Profession of Faith - grade 7
Profession of Faith? What's that? And what were you professing in grades 4 and 5?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Frederic

St Frederick of Utrecht

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 09:04:12 PM »

The Profession of Faith is a confirmation of baptism for those who were baptized when they were babies. In the case of infant baptism, the parents decide in the name of the child to make him Christian. The Profession of Faith is pronounced by a teenager when he is old enough to proclaim himself Christian, it shows that one agrees with the decision made earlier by the parents.

«One cannot understand the least thing about modern civilization if one does not first realize that it is a universal conspiracy to destroy the inner life.» (George Bernanos)
soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 09:24:09 AM »

I was listening to Catholic radio the other day and I heard a Priest saying that Communion would be given earlier, as a return to something ancient. Anyone hear of this and if so what age are they establishing for first communion, earlier than 7?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:25:38 AM by soderquj » Logged

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »

The Profession of Faith is a confirmation of baptism for those who were baptized when they were babies. In the case of infant baptism, the parents decide in the name of the child to make him Christian. The Profession of Faith is pronounced by a teenager when he is old enough to proclaim himself Christian, it shows that one agrees with the decision made earlier by the parents.
as opposed to "confirmation"?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Frederic

St Frederick of Utrecht

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »

as opposed to "confirmation"?

The confirmation is badly named because it does not confirm anything. Chrismation and baptism are two distinct sacraments.
The profession of faith is not a sacrament. It ought to be called "confirmation" because it is a confirmation that you are still Christian and that you agree with the decision made by the parents a decade earlier. The profession of faith is not universal among Catholics.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: