OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:50:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Benny hinn's view on Greek Orthodoxy in 'Good morning , holy spirit'  (Read 4999 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: November 23, 2012, 09:31:43 AM »

As I come from Charismatic Church. Benny Hinn is one of the well -known and famous pastor in Charistmatic Church. ( Although he corrupted, divorce, spoke false prophecy, curse the people who against his ministry openly and in public)

I read his book ' Good Morning , Holy Spirit' before.His mother was Greek Orthodoxy, but did not know GOd much. His Father was Greek Orthodoxy. He was baptised in Greek Orthodox but taught by Catholic nuts. He and his family orginally belong to Greek Orthodoxy .( As what he mentioned in this book --- Good morning , Holy spirit)

In this book--- "Good morning , holy spirit', he talk about his experience on the assembling of Cathoic , Greek Orthodox Church . He say that he could not experience the presence of God there. He say that most prayer of the Greek and Catholic Christians are mostly in fixed form, like Lord's prayer, Apostle Creed, etc. They do not know how to chat with God. Their prayer is too systematic, praying to GOd to them is just a " routine procedure".    Moreover, He also say that Greek and Catholic Orthodox is too focus on Rituals and dogma, but ignore the Great Power of God . They do not know how to listen the voice of Holy Spirit and be guided by Him.

WHat do you think about Benny Hinn's comment on Greek and Catholic Church?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:35:11 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »

He was baptised in Greek Orthodox but taught by Catholic nuts.

Cheesy

In this book--- "Good morning , holy spirit', he talk about his experience on the assembling of Cathoic , Greek Orthodox Church . He say that he could not experience the presence of God there. He said that most prayer of the Greek and Catholic Christians are in fixed form, like Lord's prayer, Apostle Creed, etc. They do not know how to chat with God. Their prayer is too systematic, praying to GOd to them is just a " routine procedure".    Moreover, He also say that Greek and Catholic Orthodox is on Rituals and dogma, but ignore the Great Power of God . They do not know how to listen the voice of Holy Spirit and be guided by Holy Spirit.

I think it's nonsense. Ever read about St. Symeon the New Theologian?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:39:11 AM »

Cheesy

In his book, he say that when he was baby,  he was baptisted by the patriarch of Jerusalem, Benedictus. And so came under the Greek Orthodoxy

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:44:55 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »

Cheesy

In his book, he say that when he was baby,  he was baptisted by the patriarch of Jerusalem, Benedictus. And so come under the Greek Orthodoxy

It's the nuts part. Nuts means fools so you say he was educated by Catholic fools. You must mean nuns. But it's a funny mistake  Smiley

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 09:45:10 AM »

Cheesy

In his book, he say that when he was baby,  he was baptisted by the patriarch of Jerusalem, Benedictus. And so come under the Greek Orthodoxy

It's the nuts part. Nuts means fools so you say he was educated by Catholic fools. You must mean nuns. But it's a funny mistake  Smiley
Just a typing mistake...
And He said that he was taught by Catholic Nuns, but joined the assembling of Greek Orthodox Church on Saturdays and Sundays. And Any other comments about Benny Hinn's view on Greek Orthodoxy in His written book,e.g Good Morning, Holy Spirit?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:56:23 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 02:09:14 PM »

In this book--- "Good morning , holy spirit', he talk about his experience on the assembling of Cathoic , Greek Orthodox Church . He say that he could not experience the presence of God there. He say that most prayer of the Greek and Catholic Christians are mostly in fixed form, like Lord's prayer, Apostle Creed, etc. They do not know how to chat with God. Their prayer is too systematic.To them,praying to GOd  is just a " routine procedure".    Moreover, He also say that Greek and Catholic Orthodox is too focus on Rituals and dogma, but ignore the Great Power of God . They do not know how to listen the voice of Holy Spirit and be guided by Him.

THe above is the Benny Hinn's criticisms on Ancient Church (including Catholic and Orthodox Church)  that I find in " Good morning , Holy Spirit ". Is his criticisms true?

NO one opposites his criticism, except Cyrillic ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:17:35 PM by walter1234 » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »

In this book--- "Good morning , holy spirit', he talk about his experience on the assembling of Cathoic , Greek Orthodox Church . He say that he could not experience the presence of God there. He say that most prayer of the Greek and Catholic Christians are mostly in fixed form, like Lord's prayer, Apostle Creed, etc. They do not know how to chat with God. Their prayer is too systematic.To them,praying to GOd  is just a " routine procedure".    Moreover, He also say that Greek and Catholic Orthodox is too focus on Rituals and dogma, but ignore the Great Power of God . They do not know how to listen the voice of Holy Spirit and be guided by Him.

THe above is the Benny Hinn's criticisms on Ancient Church (including Catholic and Orthodox Church)  that I find in " Good morning , Holy Spirit ". Is his criticisms true?

You just haven't waited long enough. You started this thread while many of us were asleep. You just need to be patient as we drag our butts out of bed on this second day of the Thanksgiving holiday from work. Wink

Personally, I think Benny Hinn nuts.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:27:23 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 02:37:59 PM »

We do not know the Great Power of God?  So what does he think about turning bread and wine into the Flesh and Blood of God the Son Himself?
Fabio Leite
Warned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »

We have fixed prayers but there is no prohibition for a person to pray to God on their own words privately. The point is that in Liturgy we are praying together, we are one body. You need predetermined prayers for that.

Also, pre-made prayers *teach us how to pray*. Unfortunately, our hearts are so impure that even our prayer is corrupted. When we use the prayers of the saints and of the fathers we have models of pure prayer. In time, after much fasting and much prayer, we too pray like they did.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »

You just haven't waited long enough. You started this thread while many of us were asleep. You just need to be patient as we drag our butts out of bed on this second day of the Thanksgiving holiday from work. Wink

Personally, I think Benny Hinn nuts.

I except many would oppose his view on Greek Orthodox ! angel

I live in Hong kong.There is no thanksgiving day here!    Sad

We do not know the Great Power of God?  So what does he think about turning bread and wine into the Flesh and Blood of God the Son Himself?

He do agree Catholic and Orthodox view on Holy communion.Thus, some pastors criticize him.( http://www.soulwinning.info/wolves/benny_hinn-catholicism.htm)(http://biblelight.net/Benny-Hinn-Mass.htm)

Moreover, he also comments that the ancient church,including Greek orthodox and catholic Church ignores  the anointing of Holy Spirit in 'Good morning , holy spirit'!

( According to Benny hinn and most Christmatic Church's definition, "anointing of holy spirit" means the power  is given by Holy spirit and transmitted through His people to carry out supernatural acts and miracles )
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:09:24 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »

No, of course not. His criticism is an opinion and opinions aren't necessarily true. The Lord's Prayer is biblical. Anyone who criticise it, criticise Christ, since He taught it to the Apostles. You don't have to look deep into Orthodoxy to find examples of people, whose prayer life far exceeds what most of us are doing today.  

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Aaron M

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: nothing

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 03:17:52 PM »

To my mind, it's impossible to say whether his criticism is "true" or not.  (Personally I don't believe it is.)  What Hinn might be arguing - what probably most unaware Evangelical Protestants think - is that the Orthodox/Catholic churches rather predispose its members, baptized as infants and largely subject in the European and Middle Eastern, African regions to a liturgy in a language they will not understand unless they deliberately, intelligently research its texts in vernacular (or modern, in a case like Greek) translation.  To Hinn and like Protestants, this could mean that the normal vehicle for spiritual experience and understanding is lost to the vast majority of Orthdox and Catholics who will not and should not have to - undertake this special study.  So don't harp hard on me, I have said that I don't agree with this, although am a little sympathetic to it.

I've been wanting to post for some time - and I might as well here - that a substantial crux of my own potential inquiry into Orthodoxy is how different the impression of Orthodoxy might be viewed from the perspective of either a cradle or a convert.  Benny Hinn writes from the perspective of a cradle who unfortunately did not bother to dig into the deeper, non-surface spiritual testimonies and truths (or 'Truth') of the Orthodox Church, but rather left to a more instant-gratification, 'simple-minded' appealing modern brand of the Christian religion.  For what it is worth, this seems to be the reality of a great many cradle Orthodox who were 'born into it.'  In contrast to the many cradle Orthodox who left and became largely Evangelicals, there seems to be a respectably large group of Evangelical Protestant intellectuals who convert to Orthodoxy and who, I think, would constitute the majority of members on these boards although I wouldn't claim for sure.

When enquiring into Orthodoxy (or Roman Catholicism, as the case might be) I would like to be more convinced by the witness of lifelong cradles who have a similar, not identical, level of personal devotion and piety as Evangelical Protestants characterize as desirable for a Christian 'in a relationship' with Jesus Christ.  This devotion would also be coincidental, as in the sense of not being "re-converted" by the testimony of converts or reverts.  It is probably a weakness and an amount of personal pride, but I can't get past the feeling that it cheapens the testimony of Orthodoxy - in North America, at least - to stand its own ground if its most prominent apologetic voices are converts from another Christian tradition that happens to emphasize such a strong apologetic zeal and *personal* feel to the faith.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:39:26 PM by Aaron M » Logged
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 03:43:24 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

As I come from Charismatic Church. Benny Hinn is one of the well -known and famous pastor in Charistmatic Church. ( Although he corrupted, divorce, spoke false prophecy, curse the people who against his ministry openly and in public)

You're being too nice, you should hear what the late Dr. Gene Scott always had to say about Benny Hinn  laugh

I read his book ' Good Morning , Holy Spirit' before.His mother was Greek Orthodoxy, but did not know GOd much. His Father was Greek Orthodoxy. He was baptised in Greek Orthodox but taught by Catholic nuts. He and his family orginally belong to Greek Orthodoxy .( As what he mentioned in this book --- Good morning , Holy spirit)

In this book--- "Good morning , holy spirit', he talk about his experience on the assembling of Cathoic , Greek Orthodox Church . He say that he could not experience the presence of God there. He say that most prayer of the Greek and Catholic Christians are mostly in fixed form, like Lord's prayer, Apostle Creed, etc. They do not know how to chat with God. Their prayer is too systematic, praying to GOd to them is just a " routine procedure".    Moreover, He also say that Greek and Catholic Orthodox is too focus on Rituals and dogma, but ignore the Great Power of God . They do not know how to listen the voice of Holy Spirit and be guided by Him.

Benny Hinn is a blatant crook and charlatan.  I have ZERO respect and even less trust for that man.  What he says is  generally a blend of lies, self-aggrandizement, and manipulation.  Such snakes in the grass will surely find the heel of Our Lady stepping firmly on their heads the way our good mothers always watched for our safety from the wild and predatory animals whenever as children we played in the yard..

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:44:27 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
izrima

Faith: Raised Catholic, Inquiring Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rome/OCA

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 04:57:29 PM »

Hinn's criticism is pretty common. I've certainly heard it before.

So, the reason why we use these standard prayers is because we know they work. In the case of the Lord's Prayer, it was clearly given to humanity by Christ himself. There is an excellent reason for us saying them. That being said, I know that when I was growing up Catholic, there was definitely a temptation for me to simply say Hail Marys and Our Fathers and call it a day. I was saying the right words, but without much intentionality behind them. So I get that part of Hinn's criticism.

I think he is wrong for a couple of reasons, though. The positive thing you have to say is that Orthodox spirituality has an ancient tradition of prayer and mysticism that is beyond anything else in the world. In fact, Orthodox mysticism is what first caught my eye as a Catholic. Even though there are Catholic mystics, it is not uncommon today to have Catholic schools and clergy recommending Orthodox literature for those pursuing spirituality and mysticism. Look at the dispute between St. Gregory Palamas and Barlaam. It would be hard to argue there is any Christian church that puts a higher value on mysticism and communion with God than the Orthodox Church.

On the negative side, one of the arguments I've heard articulated against Hinn-type prayer is that it can be rather Pharisaical. Jesus told us to shut the door and pray in private, not loudly speaking in public in an overwrought manner. If you want a really horrifying example of Pharisaical prayer, find Gov. Rick Perry's "prayer" at his rally in the Houston stadium. Really a sad example of someone using "prayer" as a commercial.

To tie it all together, Orthodox are taught to value and use the standard prayers we have received from Jesus, the Bible, and tradition. When we are still learning to pray, these prayers keep us from error. Some of the commonest errors, in turn, are focusing only on our own needs and praying demonstratively in the way Jesus cautioned us against. Orthodoxy does not, however, exclude anyone from praying in a more personal, "charismatic" manner.
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 08:00:31 PM »

I agree with him.  However, what is seen in a good number of the Greek Orthodox Church should not be confused with what is the teaching of the Church.  There is nothing more beautiful, emotional, and spiritual than Orthodoxy as practiced by those that understand and actually follow the teachings.  It is unfortunate, but not unusual, that Mr. Hinn did not experience that.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:01:32 PM by Punch » Logged

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I agree with him.  However, what is seen in a good number of the Greek Orthodox Church should not be confused with what is the teaching of the Church.  There is nothing more beautiful, emotional, and spiritual than Orthodoxy as practiced by those that understand and actually follow the teachings.  It is unfortunate, but not unusual, that Mr. Hinn did not experience that.

I think you're giving Benny Hinn too much credit here, if you've followed this guy across the past few decades its pretty obvious he is a charlatan at best, a blatant crook at worst.  His opinions about the Orthodox Church are null and void in the context that his analysis concludes that in his own empty, lifeless, and spiritually dead "church" where he is the "pastor" is the true and actual source of Grace.  Can't experience God in the Orthodox Church? So what, move to the even spiritually emptier place because folks can experience the devils masquerading as God there?

Protestantism is one thing, but Benny Hinn is another altogether.  Protestants haves some redeeming qualities, Benny Hinn's "ministry" has none I assure you  police

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:24:07 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Punch
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »

I think you're giving Benny Hinn too much credit here, if you've followed this guy across the past few decades its pretty obvious he is a charlatan at best, a blatant crook at worst.  His opinions about the Orthodox Church are null and void in the context that his analysis concludes that in his own empty, lifeless, and spiritually dead "church" where he is the "pastor" is the true and actual source of Grace.  Can't experience God in the Orthodox Church? So what, move to the even spiritually emptier place because folks can experience the devils masquerading as God there?

Protestantism is one thing, but Benny Hinn is another altogether.  Protestants haves some redeeming qualities, Benny Hinn's "ministry" has none I assure you  police

stay blessed,
habte selassie

I am not giving him any credit.  He is only saying what EVERY ex-Orthodox and ex-Catholic that I ever knew in the Protestant churches has told me.  Even an broken clock is right twice a day.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 07:23:02 AM »

A greeyd man!!

I remember in 'Good morning , holy spirit', he said God asked him to marry Suzanne. In May, He say that God asked him remarry the Suzanne after divorce, and promise all audience to have remarriage in September. But Now, He chagend again and said that he have to wait on the Lord to let them know when to get married again. He keep taking benefits from Jesus' name.

False prophets!!

He curse people who against his ministry openly and in pubilc

luxurious life!

False healing!!
A very poor men! A deception in the church!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:24:21 AM by walter1234 » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 07:29:02 AM »

We have fixed prayers but there is no prohibition for a person to pray to God on their own words privately. The point is that in Liturgy we are praying together, we are one body. You need predetermined prayers for that.

Also, pre-made prayers *teach us how to pray*. Unfortunately, our hearts are so impure that even our prayer is corrupted. When we use the prayers of the saints and of the fathers we have models of pure prayer. In time, after much fasting and much prayer, we too pray like they did.

No, of course not. His criticism is an opinion and opinions aren't necessarily true. The Lord's Prayer is biblical. Anyone who criticise it, criticise Christ, since He taught it to the Apostles. You don't have to look deep into Orthodoxy to find examples of people, whose prayer life far exceeds what most of us are doing today.  

To my mind, it's impossible to say whether his criticism is "true" or not.  (Personally I don't believe it is.)  What Hinn might be arguing - what probably most unaware Evangelical Protestants think - is that the Orthodox/Catholic churches rather predispose its members, baptized as infants and largely subject in the European and Middle Eastern, African regions to a liturgy in a language they will not understand unless they deliberately, intelligently research its texts in vernacular (or modern, in a case like Greek) translation.  To Hinn and like Protestants, this could mean that the normal vehicle for spiritual experience and understanding is lost to the vast majority of Orthdox and Catholics who will not and should not have to - undertake this special study.  So don't harp hard on me, I have said that I don't agree with this, although am a little sympathetic to it.

I've been wanting to post for some time - and I might as well here - that a substantial crux of my own potential inquiry into Orthodoxy is how different the impression of Orthodoxy might be viewed from the perspective of either a cradle or a convert.  Benny Hinn writes from the perspective of a cradle who unfortunately did not bother to dig into the deeper, non-surface spiritual testimonies and truths (or 'Truth') of the Orthodox Church, but rather left to a more instant-gratification, 'simple-minded' appealing modern brand of the Christian religion.  For what it is worth, this seems to be the reality of a great many cradle Orthodox who were 'born into it.'  In contrast to the many cradle Orthodox who left and became largely Evangelicals, there seems to be a respectably large group of Evangelical Protestant intellectuals who convert to Orthodoxy and who, I think, would constitute the majority of members on these boards although I wouldn't claim for sure.

When enquiring into Orthodoxy (or Roman Catholicism, as the case might be) I would like to be more convinced by the witness of lifelong cradles who have a similar, not identical, level of personal devotion and piety as Evangelical Protestants characterize as desirable for a Christian 'in a relationship' with Jesus Christ.  This devotion would also be coincidental, as in the sense of not being "re-converted" by the testimony of converts or reverts.  It is probably a weakness and an amount of personal pride, but I can't get past the feeling that it cheapens the testimony of Orthodoxy - in North America, at least - to stand its own ground if its most prominent apologetic voices are converts from another Christian tradition that happens to emphasize such a strong apologetic zeal and *personal* feel to the faith.

You mean Benny Hinn did not study deep enough about Greek Orthodoxy before he make his comments in Good morning , Holy Spirit?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:31:11 AM by walter1234 » Logged
arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 08:36:30 AM »

Going to Liturgy today, oh yes for those that forget, my personal and your personal Savior is present there in the Greek Orthodox church the same as the other Orthodox churches that celebrate today. Today, as we worship God, as we read from the Bible, as we commune with God, as I solemnly and reverently pray to God asking to be made worthy once again, as I humbly submit to God, I will remember those that miss the mark and fail to recognize the One True Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 08:38:40 AM »

I would not believe Benny Hinn if he said rain was wet.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 10:48:32 AM »

I've known a lot of Catholic nuts ... mostly in my own family! Cheesy

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »

Benny Hinn is a blatant crook and charlatan. stay blessed,
habte selassie

Benny Hinn - Dark Lord of the Sith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SS95q2kpg

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 11:23:56 PM »

Quote from: Happy Lutheran
Benny Hinn - Dark Lord of the Sith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SS95q2kpg

laugh laugh laugh

Hahahahahaaa!

He would make a good character in Mortal Kombat or something. His power would be a "burst of (false) spirit."  Wink

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »

Lest this thread devolve into a sea of nonsensical Hinn bashing, would anyone else care to explain just how Benny Hinn is a false prophet and not to be trusted?
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2012, 11:44:14 AM »

I would rather have the tested and experienced standards of the church, than a focus on emotional worship which doesn't glorify God but instead only serves oneself.

Thank you.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2012, 01:41:18 PM »

I would rather have the tested and experienced standards of the church, than a focus on emotional worship which doesn't glorify God but instead only serves oneself.

In Protestant, nobody would have the standards to prove whether the 'New Faith', 'New Doctrine', 'New truth' are from God or not. Nobody would have the standards to prove whether the miracles which manisfied in Protestant Church is from GOd or not.  It is all depends on personal judgment, personal feeling , personal experience, personal interpretation of Scriptures and  personal claiming of "guidance by Holy Spirit " Roll Eyes.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:09:10 PM by walter1234 » Logged
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »

Lest this thread devolve into a sea of nonsensical Hinn bashing, would anyone else care to explain just how Benny Hinn is a false prophet and not to be trusted?

There are numerous reasons, but I'll point out a few, which I admit I got from the Wiki entry.

1. "Hinn is notable for his mistaken prophecies relating to the end times, including the destruction of homosexuals in the USA, the death of Fidel Castro in the 1990s, and the end of the world in 1992 and 1999." (reference cited: "YouTube clips of false teachings and prophecies")

2. "In November 2004, the CBC Television show The Fifth Estate did a special titled "Do You Believe in Miracles" on the apparent transgressions committed by Benny Hinn's ministry.[3] With the aid of hidden cameras and crusade witnesses, the producers of the show demonstrated Benny's apparent misappropriation of funds, his fabrication of the truth, and the way in which his staff chose crusade audience members to come on stage to proclaim their miracle healings.[3] In particular, the investigation highlighted the fact that the most desperate miracle seekers who attend a Hinn crusade—the quadriplegics, the brain-damaged, virtually anyone with a visibly obvious physical condition—are never allowed up on stage; those who attempt to get in the line of possible healings are intercepted and directed to return to their seats."

3. "In 1999, Hinn appeared on the Trinity Broadcasting Network, claiming that God had given him a vision predicting the resurrection of thousands of dead people after watching the network—laying out a scenario of people placing their dead loved ones' hands on TV screens tuned into the station—and suggesting that TBN would be "an extension of Heaven to Earth"."

(all of the above from the Wikipedia entry at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benny_Hinn)

Here's another one - according to an article on MSN (http://lifestyle.msn.co.nz/nzmenslifestyle/intheknow/8194348/10-end-of-the-world-predictions)

"Popular faith healer and evangelist Benny Hinn used a late evening service on 31 December 1989 to issue a list of apocalyptic predictions for the 1990s. Unfortunately for him, somebody taped it.

Now, as far has as NZ Men knows, nobody rose from the dead in the 1990s (John Travolta's career doesn't count), the homosexual community was not destroyed, earthquakes did not ravage nations previously immune to them, and the world was not ruled by Satan disguised as a "short man"."

That should pretty much take care of it.  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
gypsyjohn

Faith: british orthodox
Jurisdiction: british gypsy

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »

I have been to one of his crusades in london.uk, I went with my father in law who is pentecostal,so is my wife, but she is now seeing light.He started to preach for about 45 mins then he got everyone up a singing <happy clappy> then like i had thought the money bucks came round,The people were told not to put change but paper money and that god would give it back 4x over.He also told us that god wanted him to own his house out right and be deat free.People including my in laws are fooled by this man.God help the world when false teachers like him are about.
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2014, 04:42:24 PM »

dont know anythig abt him, other then what you just said here.

but he sounds like he is being decived by the demons.

or he himself is trying to decive ppl for money
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:47:29 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 04:52:47 PM »

I have been to one of his crusades in london.uk, I went with my father in law who is pentecostal,so is my wife, but she is now seeing light.He started to preach for about 45 mins then he got everyone up a singing <happy clappy> then like i had thought the money bucks came round,The people were told not to put change but paper money and that god would give it back 4x over.He also told us that god wanted him to own his house out right and be deat free.People including my in laws are fooled by this man.God help the world when false teachers like him are about.
How is being debt free in and of itself sinful?
Rambam
High Elder

Faith: Check
Jurisdiction: I'm color blind

"If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola."

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 05:04:14 PM »

Eh.

I used to live down the road from Oral Roberts University.  Know folks who graduated from there. Know of at least one Orthodox bishop that graduated from there and taught there. ORU has been mostly a boon to south Tulsa and occasionally has a great basketball team -- it was where Bill Self got his start as a head coach.  So what if Oral Roberts says God told him to start the university?

Similarly, Benny Hinn's group has given hundreds of thousands to help out after Katrina and the Indonesian tsunami (according to Wikipedia).

So what if these folks bounce around a stage and shout at 'demons' and faith heal entire arenas? Didn't I see someone somewhere say on this board "We know where the Church is, but we don't know where the Church is not?" In the meantime, let's cut 'em some slack and recognize the good they do. And honestly, the Church could learn a thing or two about marketing from these people.

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »

Eh.

I used to live down the road from Oral Roberts University.  Know folks who graduated from there. Know of at least one Orthodox bishop that graduated from there and taught there. ORU has been mostly a boon to south Tulsa and occasionally has a great basketball team -- it was where Bill Self got his start as a head coach.  So what if Oral Roberts says God told him to start the university?

Similarly, Benny Hinn's group has given hundreds of thousands to help out after Katrina and the Indonesian tsunami (according to Wikipedia).

So what if these folks bounce around a stage and shout at 'demons' and faith heal entire arenas? Didn't I see someone somewhere say on this board "We know where the Church is, but we don't know where the Church is not?" In the meantime, let's cut 'em some slack and recognize the good they do. And honestly, the Church could learn a thing or two about marketing from these people.
Even if heretics do good things, do we not still call them out for their heresy? I'm sure Arius must have done some good deeds during his career as a priest, but the only thing we have to say about him now is ANATHEMA!
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2014, 05:13:09 PM »

Eh.

"And honestly, the Church could learn a thing or two about marketing from these people. "

WOW
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »

Benny Hinn and Arius aren't really all that comparable.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Rambam
High Elder

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »

Well, sure. The first thing I thought of right after I hit 'post' was how many people were going to jump on me and say Hamas feeds the hungry. But, heck, they'd be right.

Gypsyjohn said "God help the world when false teachers like him are about." Maybe it's OK to say that the world might just be better off, too, because of these folks. At least, in some respects.

Eh.

Even if heretics do good things, do we not still call them out for their heresy? I'm sure Arius must have done some good deeds during his career as a priest, but the only thing we have to say about him now is ANATHEMA!
Rambam
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2014, 05:16:19 PM »

What's "WOW" about that? Isn't the Church an organization, too? Knowing a little organizational behavior, strategy, and marketing sure couldn't hurt.

Eh.

"And honestly, the Church could learn a thing or two about marketing from these people. "

WOW
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2014, 05:16:53 PM »

Really? How not? They were both Orthodox once, yet they each left the Church to teach their own heretical doctrines.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:18:33 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2014, 05:27:37 PM »

Plus, Benny Hinn has a really awful haircut.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2014, 05:30:45 PM »

Plus, Benny Hinn has a really awful haircut.
So what? Does bad hair alone make him a hairy tick?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:31:27 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »

What's "WOW" about that? Isn't the Church an organization, too? Knowing a little organizational behavior, strategy, and marketing sure couldn't hurt.

Eh.

I used to live down the road from Oral Roberts University.  Know folks who graduated from there. Know of at least one Orthodox bishop that graduated from there and taught there. ORU has been mostly a boon to south Tulsa and occasionally has a great basketball team -- it was where Bill Self got his start as a head coach.  So what if Oral Roberts says God told him to start the university?

WOW

our church is not a stock or bond or a commodity to be sold and traded. its free and belongs to everyone. we dont market the church...we are not benny hinn.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:39:05 PM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »

Yeah, at least Benny Hinn has recanted his teaching that each member of the Trinity was a mini-Trinity.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2014, 07:35:41 PM »

Did he?  I had not heard that.  Has he recanted his other heresies?

Rambam
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 07:36:52 PM »

our church is not a stock or bond or a commodity to be sold and traded. its free and belongs to everyone. we dont market the church...we are not benny hinn.

Right. We'll just keep the Church as our little secret. How's that workin' for ya?

I'll save you the marketing lecture, but any time you interface with the public, that would constitute 'marketing.' It doesn't just mean protestant-style evangelism. Many protestant churches have this down to a science. The Orthodox Church is, all too frequently, amateur hour.

And I hate to break it to you -- but every time such-and-such Church has a 'Greek festival,' or 'Lebanese festival' or 'Russian festival' or whatever, that would be a type of promotion, which is marketing. It's as if we don't want to get down to the hard work of attracting people -- we'd rather shovel kibbeh or baklavah or kotleti in their faces and hope for the best.  Like I said, amateur hour.

And here's the sentence to make this relevant to the thread: maybe it's this type of organizational naivety that underlies Hinn's and other's doubts about the Church.

Eh.

I used to live down the road from Oral Roberts University.  Know folks who graduated from there. Know of at least one Orthodox bishop that graduated from there and taught there. ORU has been mostly a boon to south Tulsa and occasionally has a great basketball team -- it was where Bill Self got his start as a head coach.  So what if Oral Roberts says God told him to start the university?

WOW

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:39:49 PM by Rambam » Logged
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »

Right. We'll just keep the Church as our little secret. How's that workin' for ya?

I'll save you the marketing lecture, but any time you interface with the public, that would constitute 'marketing.' It doesn't just mean protestant-style evangelism. Many protestant churches have this down to a science. The Orthodox Church is, all too frequently, amateur hour.

And I hate to break it to you -- but every time such-and-such Church has a 'Greek festival,' or 'Lebanese festival' or 'Russian festival' or whatever, that would be a type of promotion, which is marketing. It's as if we don't want to get down to the hard work of attracting people -- we'd rather shovel kibbeh or baklavah or kotleti in their faces and hope for the best.  Like I said, amateur hour.

I think there is a HUGE difference in the types of 'marketing' that events like the ones you mentioned above, consist of....

vs

the Hinnesque 'event mongering' marketing of the actual 'holy services' (yes yes, I am not calling them Liturgy, but its an actual service, meant to worship God)   that he does.  

Marketing Liturgy like that would be comparable....should we start charging and selling tickets with the 'you will be blessed if you attend'  language behind it?  

Cry Cry

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:42:29 PM by DeniseDenise » Logged
Tags: Benny Hinn 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: