OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 08:55:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kagerou Days and Calvinism  (Read 168 times) Average Rating: 0
sakura95
Love Live School Idol Festival noob :(
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox(Though I want to be Coptic)
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate Archdiocese of Thyaeira and Great Britain

예쁜 나의 예쁜 나이 25살 ◟(。´௰`)◞३*¨♪

« on: October 29, 2014, 12:15:09 PM »

I just watched Mekakucity Actors recently and an episode somehow reminds me of Calvinism. Now before I start, I would be clear that Mekakucity Actors has nothing to do with Christianity at all, it may draw aspects of its synopsis from it but it ultimately isn't about or related to Christianity.

Before I start, some background on the Anime itself. Mekakucity Actors is simply the Anime adaptation of a series of songs known as the Kagerou Project. All the songs are basically a story of a group of individuals known as the Mekakushi Dan endowed with some super powers trying to stop a "cosmic snake" from destroying the world. This is simply a very brief way of summarizing everything that goes on in the Kagerou Project and Mekakucity Actors. But here, I would be focusing on the 4th episode of the Anime which is sort of a "Groundhog Day" risque in its plot and outline, there's basically three characters, a boy(Hibiya), a girl(Hiyori) and the Cosmic Snake or the titular, Kagerou which disguises itself in the form of a cat. The episode basically have Hiyori dying on the 15th of August only for the timeline to revert to the 14th with Hibiya desperately in vain trying to save Hiyori. For a better outline of the episode though, I would post the lyrics of the song here,

On August 15th, 12:30 in the afternoon,
The weather was incredibly nice
And amidst the sickening rays of the dazzling sun
I spoke with you, for I had nothing else to do

"Well, y’know, I kind of hate summer",
You boldly murmured while petting a cat
Ah, you pursued that cat as it ran away from you
And what jumped out
Was the traffic light that changed to a glaring red

Suddenly, a truck came out of nowhere and struck you as you screamed
Your scent, now mingled with sprayed blood, choked me
In the haze of lies, the haze of heat laughed, "This is all real!"
With that, like a cricket’s sound being disturbed, the light blue of summer darkened away

I woke up upon my bed to the sound of a ticking clock
What time is it now?

On August 14th, sometime past 12 in the morning
I recalled the sound of an awfully annoying cricket
But, y’know, it’s a little strange.
Yesterday, in a dream, I saw us walking in this same exact park
"Why don’t we go home now?"
The second you stepped off the pathway, everyone surrounding us
Turned their heads up to the sky and opened their mouths

From the sky, down dropped an iron pole
That pierced your body straight through
The sound of wind-chimes and your ripping screams filled the spaces between the park trees
In this unnatural scene,
The shimmering heat laughed, "This is the real thing!"
As my vision blurred away, I glanced at your profile, and thought I saw you smiling

Countless times have had me black out
In the laughing heat like this
This cycle has repeated for decades
I realized that a long time ago

In this kind of clichéd story,
There must only be one ending.
Beyond this repeating summer day, it has to exist.

Suddenly, I pushed you aside and jumped into the street;
At that moment, the truck slammed into me
Your eyes and my twisted body were like hazy reflections of the blood that sprayed everywhere
If that praiseful heat haze laughed, “Serves you right!” again
Then this would be what you’d call a normal summer day.
But all of that ended today.

On August 14th, a girl awoke upon her bed
And she said,
"I failed this time, too..." as she cradled a single cat.

You would notice that I specifically "Bold" a particular verse of the lyric. That's because it's where the Song differs from the Anime. In the Anime, Hibiya did not have to endure the trauma of having to watch his crush, Hiyori, die again, again and again for a decade. It probably lasted for about a week I would say. In the song, it's decades.

So what's does all these have to do with Calvinism? I would give a layout of this in my next post.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:45:38 PM by sakura95 » Logged

Will be off for Christmas break on the 20th-27th

Merry Christmas and God bless (◕‿◕✿)
sakura95
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »

Anyone familiar with Calvinism would know the delightful "P" word and "S" word which are "Predestination" and "God's Sovereignty". In Calvinism God predestines all events to occur since it would be these events that will determine who would be 'saved' and who would be Damned. God's Sovereignty in the Calvinistic sense means that God must have all the control, effectively turning Him into a control freak who has a distaste for any other being having autonomy. As a result, we have Theological Determinism, something which the Puritan Jonathan Edwards defended. Referring back to my first post, based on Calvinism, Hibiya is predestined to live or to be Saved from Damnation(Death). Hiyori is not so lucky, she's predestined for Damnation(Death). But Hibiya loves Hiyori and tries to save her but as he tries time and time and time again for decades, he fails so miserably with God mocking Him to apparently Glorify Himself. Of course, I would note that I wouldn't parallel Calvinism and Kagerou Days all together since Hibiya was able to break the cycle, by sacrificing Himself. Calvinists may perhaps argue that Hiyori represents us all, the Totally Depraved sinners who cannot save ourselves and that Hibiya, represents Jesus who take our place but how many of us must be damned for that few to be Saved? In the song, Hiyori died for I dare say, thousands of times, only for her to be saved by Hibiya after that. This would be the illustration of Limited Atonement. Without such, she would be Saved even before she got killed, as to give Salvation to all of us.

But what's even more disturbing is the fact that Hibiya was predestined by God to go through this traumatic process for decades since the Kagerou is basically 'god' in this context, mocking his futility each time he try and try to save Hiyori. The Anime omits this detail which again, the song includes. Hiyori herself, predestined to die and die a thousand times for decades under a time loop swinging back and forth between the 14th and 15th of August. Perhaps the entire Kagerou Days is akin to God showing the elect just how unconditional Salvation is and how the Saved will have Eternal Security. Hibiya was never killed throughout those decades of having to witness the Damned fall into Depravity. He cannot Save the Damned no matter how hard he tries as he is forever locked in Salvation, his beloved, Hiyori trapped in Damnation for all eternity as God is unchanging.

This isn't all however, there was a thread here showing just how Calvin viewed that God can lie to some to enhance His Glory with citations from the man himself. Well, Hibiya did die in the end and Hiyori got Saved so it seems that God was lying to Hibiya the whole time, deceiving him that he is saved from Death which is why he lives while Hiyori dies, time and time again for decades. But oddly enough, Hiyori got saved in the end, in which God was putting her through decades of pain just so that He can glorify Himself and that she sees His glory. Hibiya eventually whilst having the attributes of the Saved, was killed at long last. I mean, even many Evangelicals view former devout Christians as never being True Christians at all since the beginning, holding onto some forms of Calvinistic Predestination. When thinking about this within the context of Kagerou Days, it becomes true terror, God is simply playing with His toys which is us. God mocks us from trying to gain self automation and escape from Total Depravity. I mean the lyrics of the song did have the Kagerou mocking Hibiya time and time again. Which of course, goes on for decades.

In the end, what can be seen is that Calvinism takes away God's Love and Mercy. We are subjected to being nothing more than mere tools, for the sadistic megalomaniac God of Calvinism to do as He pleases to us. Be it placing us through pain, suffering and deceit. We are simply like Hibiya and Hiyori in the end, predestined to death or life. But with that, we could feel that we are Saved but we are in actuality not. We would be deceived only to be Damned. We may feel that we would be Damned if Calvinism is true but in the end, we may be very well Saved from Damnation. Such we see is fatalism. God must control all, we only have our own self awareness to be aware of what's going on. Our actions, desires and motivations....predetermined before the dawn of Creation itself. Such is the fatalism of Calvinism and ultimately, why it is Heresy. Calvinists can claim that we are "Semi-Pelagian" but such is the pill I would take over the poison of the Fatalistic and Pessimistic doctrine of Calvin.

Well, I'm a Calvinist I can proudly say nevertheless.....a zero point Calvinist  Wink
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:53:02 PM by sakura95 » Logged

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »

Or ... Other stuff besides just Christianity.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »

yes, wpm, your short post says it all!
 Smiley
this story is probably from a different religious perspective.
(but interesting)
sakura95
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »

yes, wpm, your short post says it all!
 Smiley
this story is probably from a different religious perspective.
(but interesting)

Yes but it draws from Christianity as well. The "Cosmic Snake" is actually a part of a woman in the story or more accurately, her hair. He deceives the woman to create a world where nothing dies so that she can live happily ever after with her mortal family. And through that, things get messy and the Mekakushi Dan gained powers through incidents in which they briefly entered the world created by the woman. Ignoring the "messy bits", the woman is basically like Eve and the "Cosmic Snake", Satan who deceives her into doing something that would affect all creation.

Another aspect of the story borrowed from Christianity is one of the members of the Mekakushi Dan. Even her name nearly shares that of the Theotokos that is Mary with another "r"(Marry). Marry is directly related to the woman and she can somehow control and combine the powers of the other members of the Mekakushi Dan which are basically....snakes. In the anime, she saves the day while all the other members of the Mekakushi Dan got trashed by the Cosmic Snake hence "saving" the world. Mary the Theotokos Saves the world by birthing Salvation to it.

The rest are probably Shinto-Buddhist influences added into the story.

Tags: Calvinism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: