Author Topic: Paula, The Restorationist Home Inspector  (Read 457 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
Paula, The Restorationist Home Inspector
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:23:55 PM »
Funny video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QnBWL_d-5A

I think it's fair to say that lots of American evangelicals, not just folks affiliated with the Stone-Campbell movement, hold similar views to "Paula". It's amazing how many people just seem to take Matthew 16:18 with a huge grain of salt.

The only things I'd change about the video are at the beginning (I'd change the "early 19th century" bit to something more general, since many Protestants believe that the Reformers restored the church, which is no less absurd than believing Stone & Campbell did) and around 1:05 (I'd have the families be Syrian, Greek, Russian, and Aleut).

Love the song, BTW.
This user still posts here even though he might claim not to.

Offline Aquensis

Re: Paula, The Restorationist Home Inspector
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:33:31 PM »
I've never met someone who calls themselves Evangelical. Is it just a catch all for Protestants or is there actually some denomination called Evangelical?

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »
I've never met someone who calls themselves Evangelical. Is it just a catch all for Protestants or is there actually some denomination called Evangelical?

There are some denominations that call themselves that. I've met plenty who say they're Evangelicals.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 04:42:21 PM »
Evangelical Free Church of America, for one.

The megachurch my family and I have been attending for many years is one of these.

It's an "association of autonomous churches". Basically, that means once you've seen one of them, you've seen one of them. That statement of faith is vague enough to encompass a lot of different things, and both Calvinism and Arminianism coexist in it (my church is officially neutral, but I've seen a few of the leaders try and promote various Calvinist books). It began as an offshoot of Lutheranism, but that's barely recognizable now in the case of many of the churches.

The one I attend is a middle-of-the-road Baptist-type place (1 hour sermon + praise band, no charismania, monthly memorialist communion in little plastic cups, baptism is downplayed to an extent and is only for adults, nothing else in the way of the sacramental, liturgical, or mysterious, but it does have all the things that attract people to megachurches including small groups, Sunday school, youth ministries, disability ministries, etc.) It's also about as ethnically diverse as you can get, which is pretty cool. Lots of Hispanics, Liberians, etc.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:52:16 PM by Minnesotan »

Offline Aquensis

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »
Looked at that guy's other videos, love this one:

http://youtu.be/s0-EgjUhRqA
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 05:02:45 PM by Aquensis »

Offline brastaseptim

• Protops├íltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 05:07:40 PM »
Even more interesting is when you're an editor for a Mormon fanfic writer, who's also a 'priesthood' holder, and one must explain to him why the concept of the Church being hijacked by "power-hungry jerks" barely a century after Christ's death, leading to the Apostasy of the entire Christian faithful for 1800 years, might be offensive and a little incorrect.
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 05:12:03 PM »
Even more interesting is when you're an editor for a Mormon fanfic writer, who's also a 'priesthood' holder, and one must explain to him why the concept of the Church being hijacked by "power-hungry jerks" barely a century after Christ's death, leading to the Apostasy of the entire Christian faithful for 1800 years, might be offensive and a little incorrect.
Is that anecdote, by any chance, autobiographical?

Offline brastaseptim

• Protops├íltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 05:13:37 PM »
Is that anecdote, by any chance, autobiographical?

It is. I have interesting weekends.
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.

Offline Avdima

• Faith: Seeking
  • Jurisdiction: Caliphate of The Overthere...
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 05:35:20 PM »
I giggled  :D

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 07:36:20 PM »
Coming from an Eastern European Orthodox and Eastern Catholic (for three hundred years before that) background (with the only close Protestant relatives being Episcopalian (just a few) ) growing we really only knew about the potpourri of Protestant sects from a distance. You sort of naively believed "they" sort of weren't that different, like a different flavor of ice cream but still ice cream. But as I've learned more, the less I view such beliefs like Restorationism or Dominionism as anything ofher than really odd. Pop culture's lumping us all together as "Christian" really seems not to fit.