OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 06:31:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TV and Divorce  (Read 547 times) Average Rating: 0
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Future belongs to God only.

« on: November 23, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »

A study in the context of Brazilian TV demonstrated the link between the increase of divorces after liberal-themed soap-operas started being broadcasted in areas where they were not available before.

http://www.iadb.org/en/research-and-data/publication-details,3169.html?displaytype&pub_id=WP-651

Abstract:
This paper studies the link between television and divorce in Brazil by exploiting variation in the timing of availability of the signal of Rede Globo—the network that had a virtual monopoly on telenovelas in the country—across municipal areas. Using three rounds of Census data (1970, 1980 and 1991) and controlling for area fixed effects and for time-varying characteristics, the paper finds that the share of women who are separated or divorced increases significantly after the Globo signal becomes available. The effect is robust to controlling for potential determinants of Globo’s entry strategy and is stronger for relatively smaller areas, where the signal reaches a higher fraction of the population.
Author (s):

Chong, Alberto
La Ferrara, Eliana
Published: January 2009
Language: English

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:23:00 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Multiple Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »

A study in the context of Brazilian TV demonstrated the link between the increase of divorces after liberal-themed soap-operas started being broadcasted in areas where they were not available before.

http://www.iadb.org/en/research-and-data/publication-details,3169.html?displaytype&pub_id=WP-651

Abstract:
This paper studies the link between television and divorce in Brazil by exploiting variation in the timing of availability of the signal of Rede Globo—the network that had a virtual monopoly on telenovelas in the country—across municipal areas. Using three rounds of Census data (1970, 1980 and 1991) and controlling for area fixed effects and for time-varying characteristics, the paper finds that the share of women who are separated or divorced increases significantly after the Globo signal becomes available. The effect is robust to controlling for potential determinants of Globo’s entry strategy and is stronger for relatively smaller areas, where the signal reaches a higher fraction of the population.
Author (s):

Chong, Alberto
La Ferrara, Eliana

I noticed how in American television, how divorce is seen/used as a plot resolution, where pre-1970 such a thing is almost unheard of.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:54:59 AM »

Correlation does not imply causation.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »

How has the socio-economic situation in those area changed in the same time period?
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 10:41:49 AM »

They say they have established controls for that. Would have to study the whole paper to examine that.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »

They say one of the controls was to counter that influence. Again, would have to examine the whole paper in more detail.

How has the socio-economic situation in those area changed in the same time period?

Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »

I'd say it's very plausible. Merchandise on movies and TV works for everything else, why wouldn't it work for "social" causes?

Plus, there is an entire area of study in marketing called "Social Marketing" and "Agenda-Setting Theory" that aims precisely at that. Because the people who promote divorce sincerely think they are doing something noble, I don't see why that would be even unexpected.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:50:04 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 10:57:46 AM »

I'd say it's very plausible. Merchandise on movies and TV works for everything else, why wouldn't it work for "social" causes?

Plus, there is an entire area of study in marketing called "Social Marketing" and "Agenda-Setting Theory" that aims precisely at that. Because the people who promote divorce sincerely think they are doing something noble, I don't see why that would be even unexpected.
It has been working for same sex "marriage."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »

It has been working for same sex "marriage."

Indeed. From the 60s one "social marketing" has become self-aware, in the sense that people who had always been doing it started studying it in academy and therefore became able to improve their own performance having a theory to guide them. This is not all, but it is  significant part of the explanation of the why the left experienced its rise to hegemony in the end of the 20th century.

Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 11:04:19 AM »

And as for why this is in the Religious topics forum, I think this is deeply connected to the theology of icons and the stages of sin that we discussed in another thread. It's all about how images and sounds first impress our minds and then form our character and destiny. Also, we learn that what is depicted in images is somehow really present (as per the Divine Light in icons), which should lead us to consider how what we usually watch is *really* present.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 11:05:39 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 06:19:44 PM »

No one reads Flaubert anymore.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 06:24:57 PM »

And as for why this is in the Religious topics forum, I think this is deeply connected to the theology of icons and the stages of sin that we discussed in another thread. It's all about how images and sounds first impress our minds and then form our character and destiny. Also, we learn that what is depicted in images is somehow really present (as per the Divine Light in icons), which should lead us to consider how what we usually watch is *really* present.

Interesting comment.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »

Can't really blame them, I mean, liberals don't take anything sacred or special. Why should marriage be any different? I am admitting this when I myself am a self-proclaimed liberal. And because they do not value anything, they see no reason to work at anything or try to resolve their problems to reserve what they have--because they do not value what they have in the first place. They'll take the easy way out and just end it or run away from the problem, hence divorce. Divorce should always be a last option, and these weirdo new divorcees give genuine divorcees (like Isa) who truly attempted everything to save their marriage a bad name.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
choy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »

I noticed how in American television, how divorce is seen/used as a plot resolution, where pre-1970 such a thing is almost unheard of.

I can remember when Murphy Brown becoming a single mother was such a huge deal.
choy
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 06:55:03 PM »

Deep.  I love it!
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 10:07:36 PM »

Abstract:
Author (s):

Chong, Alberto
La Ferrara, Eliana

I stand on firm footing saying "I believe that TV causes more divorces".

I personally know of a man (a good friend) who is going through a horrible divorce with his wife of 35 years! (Lord have mercy!)  He told me the #1 reason for this was the television!

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 05:52:28 AM »

Video games have served as the best form of marriage counseling, yesh.

Particularly a few rounds of Mortal Kombat ending in a Fatality.

It's the kind of foundation strong relationships are made out of.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 06:07:24 AM »

Divorce is just another means of transferring fiat currency from non-producers to producers.  Women without honour can now divorce based on BS reasons (I wasn't haaaaaaapy) and receive cash and prizes.  Divorce is no longer treated as breaking a fell oath before God.  It's another money making scheme.  

Rot them all.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:08:02 AM by vamrat » Logged

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 06:07:52 AM »

Abstract:
Author (s):

Chong, Alberto
La Ferrara, Eliana

I figured this out about 6 months after I was married.  Thats why soap operas went away in our house.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 06:10:27 AM »

Divorce is just another means of transferring fiat currency from non-producers to producers.  Women without honour can now divorce based on BS reasons (I wasn't haaaaaaapy) and receive cash and prizes.  Divorce is no longer treated as breaking a fell oath before God.  It's another money making scheme.  

Rot them all.
WE WANT PRE-NUP! YEAH!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Fabio Leite
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 07:38:28 AM »

I  do believe all that is true about icons is also true about other kinds of images. That's why I don't have a TV and thanks God for my poor internet service at home so I don't spend too much time on youtube. Sometimes I think that the fasting of images and sounds is the most important one in our times.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: