OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:47:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If OO and EO unite - who will be Patriach of Alexandria and Antioch?  (Read 1083 times) Average Rating: 0
MichaelArchangelos

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« on: November 25, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »

I know that there have been talks with regard to OO-EO union, and that the conclusion regarding Chalcedon and the two natures of Christ is that we are saying the same thing but in different words.

I don't see any problem with the leadership of the Ethiopian, Eritrean, Armenian and Indian churches if such a union occurred. However, since both Alexandria and Antioch have two claimants each (one OO, one EO) who would be the Pope of Alexandria and the Patriarch of Antioch? This seems like it would be a big issue because if Pope Tawadros is accepted as the sole Patriarch of Antioch, that would mean that Dioscorus was right and Proterius was wrong. Same with Antioch and Severus. And Disocorus is venerated as a saint in the OO church.

In your opinion, who do you think would end up as Patriarch of each see if union occurred?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:52:45 AM by MichaelArchangelos » Logged
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:05:18 AM »

In your opinion, who do you think would end up as Patriarch of each see if union occurred?

I guess both would stay until one of them died, after which the survivor would be the sole Patriarch and after the death of the survivor one Patriarch will be chosen.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »

IIRC someone here (ialmisry?) said that in case of union our Pope has promised to transform into a Metropolitan under the Coptic Pope.

IMO this should be the overall principle. Minority hierarchs should be transformed into rite-specific vicar bishops under the majority hierarchs.

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »

I've heard two opinions among EO regarding this issue.

One priest I know claims that there would be 2 popes of Alexandria. I opposed to this and said "One bishop for one see (city)" (yeah, I know nowadays, especially in USA and Western Europe it's so difficult to reach this situation) but he says it in today's world it wouldn't be problem. When I was watching the enthronement of the new Coptic pope, I saw it could work, but I think for the rest of Orthodox world and especially for non-Orthodox it would be "clearer" when there was one pope of Alexandria.

The second opinion is that Greeks should concede to the cradle Orthodox nations of these territories - Orientals. I think in Egypt it's quite obvious, but as for Antioch, I don't know - EO Antiochian Patriarchate is very active also in Syrian and Lebanon, not like EO Alexandrian Patriarchate, that in Egypt has few believers, but carries on mission in other African countries. For sure, the synods should consist of bishops of two rites, parishes also should have (generally) one rite. I think the best option for the division of 2 rites would be at the parish level, not diocesan - too many "layers". And the priests of one patriarchate should know both rites.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »

We have had this conversation before on OC.net. IIRC, this has been worked out in proposal form already with the current Coptic pope becoming the Pope of the Church of Alexandria and the current EO pope becoming in effect a 'vice pope' who would succeed the (Coptic) pope at his repose - consider him as pre-elected. This applies only to the current occupants of the thrones. Should the EO pope repose first, normal elections by the combined synod would take place at the (formerly Coptic only) pope's repose.

Hope this explanation is clear. This is not a case of our side wins: other side loses. Everyone wins.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 11:51:50 AM »

If this was really a problem, knowing the present Pope Theodore II's and Patriarch Ignatius Hazim  and Ignatius Iwas, all four would resign and let the reunited synods pick a successor for Alexandria and Antioch.  As Aristokles said, this is a rare opportunity where everyone wins.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:55:33 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »

Theodore II would be the Pope of Alexandria and Ignatius would  be the Patriarch of Antioch  Cool That's easy.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »

Theodore II would be the Pope of Alexandria and Ignatius would  be the Patriarch of Antioch  Cool That's easy.

That's brilliant!

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 08:08:26 PM »

A tangent on the number of EO's in Africa, and whether we should set up OO patriarchs in Greece and Moscow, was split off and put in the private forum.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,48225.msg840865.html#top

Those who want to experience the private forum need to pm Fr. George and ask for access.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »

angel

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 09:08:08 PM »

if Pope Tawadros is accepted as the sole Patriarch of Antioch, that would mean that Dioscorus was right and Proterius was wrong

Not really Tongue

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
MichaelArchangelos

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 07:08:37 AM »

if Pope Tawadros is accepted as the sole Patriarch of Antioch, that would mean that Dioscorus was right and Proterius was wrong

Not really Tongue

Why is that?

BTW, would both sides be able to keep their specific saints (i.e. ones not recognised by either EO or OO, but not both)?
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »

A polemical tangent was split off and put in the private forum:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,30364.msg841120.html#msg841120

If you want admission there, pm Fr. George.

Pharaoh714

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Rite

Lord Have Mercy! Christ Save me.

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 10:01:14 PM »

A polemical tangent was split off and put in the private forum:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,30364.msg841120.html#msg841120

If you want admission there, pm Fr. George.

Does he grant access to anyone that asks??
I PM'ed Him two days ago and nothing yet!

"If I say, "My foot slips," Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul." Psalm 94:18-19
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »

I think Fr. George is busy.  He hasn't logged in for a few days.  I'll try to get a hold of him.   Smiley

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 12:53:01 AM »

This might be a Protestant heresy outrage, but why not just set up a Holy Synod composed of each of the Oriental and Eastern Patriarchates/Popes in the area? I mean, we allowed it for Russia when Peter the Great wanted to show off to his Protestant friends, so why not do it in this situation when it would really be needed?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 01:01:02 AM »

This might be a Protestant heresy outrage, but why not just set up a Holy Synod composed of each of the Oriental and Eastern Patriarchates/Popes in the area? I mean, we allowed it for Russia when Peter the Great wanted to show off to his Protestant friends, so why not do it in this situation when it would really be needed?
The Holy Governing Synod is an aberration we wouldn't want to repeat, and I'm sure the OO don't want to repeat our mistakes.  Especially Egypt, OO or EO, which has always been used to a strong papacy just this side of heresy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 01:01:25 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: