OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 12:21:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What does it take to be a saint?  (Read 419 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: November 25, 2012, 06:05:48 AM »

What does it take to become a saint?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:06:52 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
quietmorning
QuietMorning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 09:48:45 AM »

Are you asking how to become a Saint, or the process in which the Church canonizes a person as a Saint?

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:33:57 AM »

Are you asking how to become a Saint, or the process in which the Church canonizes a person as a Saint?
I'll take both. Smiley

I don't know much about the process other than some general idea based on my study of Catholicism.

I was reading a book on Armenian saints last night and was struck by the idea that it would be cool to be a saint one day. How does one do that?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 10:34:35 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »

I heard the Armenians haven't canonised a saint for centuries, so you're all out of luck. But I guess you could become a non-canonised saint.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:53:01 AM »

so you're all out of luck.
Your optimism is underwhelming.  One should never shy away from aspiring to great things as long as those are of God and one listens to God's direction in life.  Even if one falls short of the aim, the results will still be great and will joyous to one who maintains a proper perspective of what is truly important.

Besides, luck is superstition, and I don't believe in being superstitious: it's bad luck. Cool
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:55:10 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 12:39:38 PM »

so you're all out of luck.
Your optimism is underwhelming.  One should never shy away from aspiring to great things as long as those are of God and one listens to God's direction in life.  Even if one falls short of the aim, the results will still be great and will joyous to one who maintains a proper perspective of what is truly important.

Besides, luck is superstition, and I don't believe in being superstitious: it's bad luck. Cool
*will be joyous...

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 05:59:26 PM »

Just love Christ, pray often, and do whatever you can to help others.  You will be a saint, even if it is with a small "s," rather than a capital "S."   Smiley

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 06:36:32 PM »

Abouna made an interesting point about this yesterday in the sermon (to get us to remember that we start fasting today). He reminded us that when we declare "the holies (meaning the sacraments) are for the holy", and then approach to receive communion, we are acknowledging that we are holy. So we are saints, even though none of us are canonized, and yet we so often do not act like it. How many entries of the synaxarion begin "today we honor St. So-and-So, who made the excuse that we can't fast on Sunday, thereby delaying the start of the Fast until a time that was more convenient for him"? (Of course none of them have that, that's the point.)

So I received the message from this that the difference between a saint and an everyday Orthodox believer is one of willingness to cooperate with God. There are saints who doubted (St. Thomas), saints who committed great sins (St. Moses the Ethiopian, St. Mary of Egypt, etc.), and all kinds of other non-saintly behavior. Yet they were willing to cooperate with God, and through His grace (which is the very same grace that we not-yet-saints also receive in the sacraments), they became children of God, and are among our saints today. Remember 2 Corinthians 12:9 ("My strength is made perfect in weakness") and cooperate with God, and even if nobody ever writes a hymn in your memory you'll have done great things worthy of the saints who are on our calendars. Smiley

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:37:44 PM by dzheremi » Logged

choy
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 06:45:59 PM »

Well, if you are a ruler of a nation and you force your nation to become Christian, that worked for some.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: