OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 09:02:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which would be better for someone who is not/would not be/doesn't have a chance to be... Orthodox to be?
Protestant, at least they are some kind of Christian - 20 (74.1%)
Doesn't matter unless it is Orthodox, they are outside of the church and all other faith is fruitless - 7 (25.9%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If a one is non-Orthodox, which is better?  (Read 1614 times) Average Rating: 0
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 09:12:45 AM »

While we can not judge the condition of someones soul, we can judge truth.  Do we stand by and let heresies to the truth run uncontested or do we speak the truth in love. Look through the NT that is what the Apostles did.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 06:49:09 PM »

There have been many supposed truths disputed in the past that were wrongly judged by Christians to justify our ability to judge truth.

The lord clearly stated not to Judge ,lest we be judged.

I have posted many NT examples in this thread.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
#1Sinner
Moderated

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »

Confirming someone in error is not charitable. There is no salvation outside the Church. This was the consistent teaching of the Fathers. Now for those who may be in the Church, though not visibly, that is for God to decide. If someone is saved in a heretical sect it is in spite of being in error, not because of it.

"He that believeth and is baptized, shall be saved: but he that believeth not shall be condemned."- Our LORD Jesus Christ

“We know that salvation itself is a property of the One Church, and that no one can be outside of the catholic Church and yet share the Faith of Christ, or be saved...Neither do we offer any part of that hope to the ungodly heretics, but we place them entirely outside of that hope; indeed, they have not the least participation in Christ, but vainly assume for themselves that saving Name.”- St John Chrysostom

“The universal [catholic] Church is a great paradise...and should anyone be found in the Church ailing with heretical error from the teaching of the serpent...then he is cast out of this paradise, even as Adam was cast out from the paradise [of old].”- St John Chysostom

“I therefore, yet not I, but the love of Jesus Christ, entreat you that ye use Christian nourishment only, and abstain from herbage of a different kind; I mean heresy. For heretics mix up Jesus Christ with their own poison, speaking things which are unworthy of credit, like those who administer a deadly drug in sweet wine, which he who is ignorant of does greedily take, with a fatal pleasure leading to his own death.” - St Ignatius the Godbearer

“Just as the fishermen hide the hook with bait and covertly hook the fish, similarly, the crafty allies of the heresies cover their evil teachings and corrupt understanding with pietism and hook the more simple, bringing them to spiritual death”- St. Isidore of Pelusium

“Heresy separates every man from the Church.”- 7th Ecumenical Council

Why this modern timidness in proclaiming the Truth that salvation is only found in and because of the Church?

I hereby recant of defending "orthodoxy" and trying to persuade fellow Catholics of embracing schism. I adhere to the Catholic Faith as preserved by the Church of Rome and Her Pontiffs.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »

Thee question is what church, that is where I say man is incapable, otherwise we all would be in the same denomination.

Just as man has shown himself incapable of keeping the faith under one church.God will forgive us .

Jesus spoke out against the leaders of his faith, as a warning to those who would judge the tax collector or prostitute of his day.

Anyone who will profess as the thief on the cross next to Jesus is in the church with him.

LUKE 23
39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Christ? Save yourself and us!”

40But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

42Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.f”

43Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

This is all God requires.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:09:34 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »

Thee question is what church, that is where I say man is incapable, otherwise we all would be in the same denomination.

Just as man has shown himself incapable of keeping the faith under one church.God will forgive us .

Jesus spoke out against the leaders of his faith, as a warning to those who would judge the tax collector or prostitute of his day.

Anyone who will profess as the thief on the cross next to Jesus is in the church with him.

LUKE 23
39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Christ? Save yourself and us!”

40But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

43Jesus answered him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

This is all God requires sometimes .
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:37:15 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

#1Sinner
Moderated

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »

LUKE 23

This is all God requires sometimes .

Just because man is sinful and tears asunder the Church of God does not mean that all heretical sects are vehicles of salvation in and of themselves. A Protestant may have a firm faith in Our LORD but that is no guarantee that he will be saved. You may wish to delude yourself into thinking that one religion/sect/denomination is as good as another but you stand against the constant teaching of the Fathers and Councils.

"ONE Lord, ONE Faith, ONE Baptism".... you are espousing indifferentism.

I hereby recant of defending "orthodoxy" and trying to persuade fellow Catholics of embracing schism. I adhere to the Catholic Faith as preserved by the Church of Rome and Her Pontiffs.
Sinful Hypocrite
OC.net guru

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2012, 07:06:20 PM »

Jesus Christ, Son of God have Mercy on us.

Knee V

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2012, 04:13:41 AM »

The question in the OP is not "What church should I recommend to my friend?" If that were the case, the answer, of course, would be Orthodoxy. Rather, the question is "Which is better, Protestantism or Atheism?" Protestantism is better than Atheism.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: