OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 07:33:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I Going to Hell?  (Read 1442 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: March 04, 2012, 04:40:27 PM »

I feel really guilty today. For the first week of Lent my Priest instructed me to attend at least one of the Lenton services in between the week and I missed those because I was too lazy to ask my parents for a ride. Then, for the Liturgy this morning, I did not attend because I was too lazy and tired since I was out till 11 with my friends on Saturday night. When my alarm went off, I asked the Theotokos for energy, but then I still caved into my feelings and told me dad he did not need to drive me and I went back to sleep. I missed an entire week of Church while I'm a catechumen, and I feel really guilty inside for some reason, like, I can't even eat guilty because of my stomach.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:45:47 PM »

that's the usual 'oh no, i have sinned' feeling.
u won't go to hell, u just need to talk about it with someone who is spiritually mature (eg. yr priest) so they can give u personal advice on how to resist sin and temptation.
repent before God and ask Him for help and remember He forgives u because He is merciful, not because you / we deserve it.
because of Jesus' death and resurrection, u can get back to a good relationship with God when u repent of sin.

pray the Lord's pray (our Father) and may God give u peace.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:50:53 PM »

I missed an entire week of Church while I'm a catechumen, and I feel really guilty inside for some reason, like, I can't even eat guilty because of my stomach.

That guilt is a good sign. It means you'll change and repent when given an opportunity.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 05:10:43 PM »

I used to work with this one guy. One night he was walking from one area to another and someone asked him where he was going. His response was "Hell if I don't change my ways".

Just look at it as an opportunity for repentence. Lent (actually all the time but especially lent) is supposed to be a time to re-evaluate where we are spiritually to find where we need to repent. Think of it like maintenence on a car, you have your regular daily maintenence on your vehicle (air pressure in tires, fluid levels, oil change, etc) which is like our constant self examination, and then every so often you need to take it in for a tune up to have everything changed out which is what we do to ourselves during lent and the other major fasting seasons. Trust me, it's not the end of the world to have a bad start to lent, or at least I hope not.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Paisius
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Multi-Jurisdictional

Reframed

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 05:20:27 PM »

I feel really guilty today. For the first week of Lent my Priest instructed me to attend at least one of the Lenton services in between the week and I missed those because I was too lazy to ask my parents for a ride. Then, for the Liturgy this morning, I did not attend because I was too lazy and tired since I was out till 11 with my friends on Saturday night. When my alarm went off, I asked the Theotokos for energy, but then I still caved into my feelings and told me dad he did not need to drive me and I went back to sleep. I missed an entire week of Church while I'm a catechumen, and I feel really guilty inside for some reason, like, I can't even eat guilty because of my stomach.

Well if that's the worst thing you ever do you'll be in pretty good shape.  Wink

In all seriousness, it's never too late to begin the fast in earnest. You're certainly not going to hell because you slept in. God is not sitting up in heaven cataloging every tiny little thing we do wrong. It's the springtime of repentance! Lent is a wonderful opportunity for you to stretch yourself and grow more in love and communion with God. In fact if you don't fail from time to time you're probably not doing it right.

So, don't worry about what you did or did not do last week. Tomorrow is a new day. Get up and go to church next week, have confession, and when you fall again get up again. Give it your best effort and don't beat yourself up. And remember, Lent is a marathon not a sprint. Do all things in moderation.

"Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest?" - Milton Friedman
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »

Are you going to Hell?  Probably, just like the rest of us.  But if you do, it probably will not be for that.  It is really not what you did last week that matters.  It is what you do from now on.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Ionnis
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:29:25 PM »

"Concerning the sorrow which you have in your soul because of your sins, it is good and beneficial.  Only when it leads you to despair, then it is clearly demonic.  Immediately turn toward hope and say: 'Since I repent for everything, I hope that everything I have done is forgiven.  There is no sin which surpasses the compassion of God. However great the sins may be, when they come to repentance they are dissolved.  Oh, the depth of the humility, forbearance, and compassion of the Lord!'"

-Elder Ephraim of Philotheou, Counsels from the Holy Mountain

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 11:34:23 PM »

I wouldnt say youre going to hell.  Thats a bit much.  But I can sympathize with you as I was invited to attend the Sunday of Orthodoxy vespers today at a local parish near my home.  However, my Sunday afternoon nap got in the way.  My nap was pushed back do to an extra long work day today.  I know thats not a good enough excuse, but thats my point.  I should have went. 

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:16:16 AM »

I used to work with this one guy. One night he was walking from one area to another and someone asked him where he was going. His response was "Hell if I don't change my ways".

Just look at it as an opportunity for repentence. Lent (actually all the time but especially lent) is supposed to be a time to re-evaluate where we are spiritually to find where we need to repent. Think of it like maintenence on a car, you have your regular daily maintenence on your vehicle (air pressure in tires, fluid levels, oil change, etc) which is like our constant self examination, and then every so often you need to take it in for a tune up to have everything changed out which is what we do to ourselves during lent and the other major fasting seasons. Trust me, it's not the end of the world to have a bad start to lent, or at least I hope not.

Wait, I have to add extra air to my tires and fluids to my car other than gasoline . . .

Great.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 12:23:38 AM »

"Keep your mind in hell and despair not."

-St. Silouan

Now Fr. Thom says that Elder Sophrony comments on this for "our day" and says our minds are often in hell. What we really gotta work is despairing not.

Can anyone help me source that teaching by Elder Sophrony. Fr. Thom mentions not infrequently.

Thanks.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 12:26:37 AM »

Wait, I have to add extra air to my tires and fluids to my car other than gasoline . . .

Great.

Some cars require everything to be more closely watched than others.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 12:47:52 AM »

Great.

This explains a lot.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 05:28:13 AM »

Crucify your western guilt and bathe in the unfailing mercy of God.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »

I missed an entire week of Church while I'm a catechumen, and I feel really guilty inside for some reason, like, I can't even eat guilty because of my stomach.

That guilt is a good sign. It means you'll change and repent when given an opportunity.

Not necessarily.  It depends on whether or not he is simply feeling remorse or is truly repentant.  Remorse doesn't lead to change, it often just leads to a feeling of "Woe is me!" and falling into despair and even greater sin.

James, tell your priest how you're feeling.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »

Are you going to Hell?  Probably, just like the rest of us.  But if you do, it probably will not be for that.  It is really not what you did last week that matters.  It is what you do from now on.

Oh my.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 05:29:12 PM »

Oh my.

Well narrow is the gate that leads to salvation, and wide is the path to destruction.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 03:44:21 PM »

that's the usual 'oh no, i have sinned' feeling.
u won't go to hell, u just need to talk about it with someone who is spiritually mature (eg. yr priest) so they can give u personal advice on how to resist sin and temptation.
repent before God and ask Him for help and remember He forgives u because He is merciful, not because you / we deserve it.
because of Jesus' death and resurrection, u can get back to a good relationship with God when u repent of sin.

pray the Lord's pray (our Father) and may God give u peace.

lol!!!!!!!! are you one of those liberals?

I agree with your comment. Many people (including priests), willingly or not lead people to despair. Which isn't fair considering the fact that at the end of the day, God will decide not any human being. We aren't saved because we deserve it. We are saved because he is merciful, and because he deserves to have someone keep him company and call him "father" or "Buddy". Whatever.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 03:47:35 PM »

Don't feel guilty. He knows whether or not you love him. Also he forgave his enemies those who crucified him. Yes he may judge your actions all the time. But he will take the condition of your whole being into account. Pray instead of feeling guilty.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 04:32:35 PM »

Crucify your western guilt and bathe in the unfailing mercy of God.

Selam

Beautiful <3

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 08:36:32 AM »

Never despair, or think that God wants you to go to Hell. God always loves us and wants us to be with Him.
Perhaps, it's a matter of organizing yourself, purifying and simplifying your life. Remove the things that take up energy, don't solve anything and lead you away from God, and this will give you more time and energy to do the important things. Keep it as simple as you can, even if you only do just one thing, as long as that thing is godly.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:36:48 AM by IoanC » Logged
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 07:34:18 PM »

^ What Ioan and Gebre said above are true. You should take what they said into consideration.

Me personally, I have been struggling with guilt for a VERY LONG time and I'm trying my best to crucify it. I hope and pray that you can do the same.

God go with you James.

- Jade

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: