Author Topic: Patriarch Abune Paulose of Ethiopia enters Eternal Rest  (Read 9498 times)

Offline theorthodoxchurch

• georgy
  • Elder
  • georgy
    • Orthodoxy Cognate PAGE Society
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
georgy

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: Patriarch Abune Paulose of Ethiopia enters Eternal Rest
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:25:41 AM »
A controversial figure. May our prayers be with him.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
  • Pat. St. Severus, pray for my family & friends
    • St. Severus of Antioch's Writings
  • Faith: Coptic Orthodox Christian
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 05:38:40 AM »
We have lost two Orthodox Patriarchs in the same year! Lord have mercy and guide your One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. This is particularly disheartening with the relatively recent death of Pope Shenouda III.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:00:39 AM by Severian »
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice.

Offline CoptoGeek

• of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:44:25 AM »
He seemed relatively young and healthy, this comes as a complete shock. Lord have mercy.
"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa

Offline bytania

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:48:58 AM »
Indeed a very controversial figure
This is going to precipitate a lot of issues within the church. Most of the churches in the US have refused to accept him as a Patriarch and have been isolated...We also have another Patriarch and holy synod in exile here in the US...we'll see how all of this is going to be affected.

May the lord rest his soul in peace

Bytania
Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers

Offline Severian

• My posts on this site don't necessarily reflect my current position on any given subject.
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
If you do not mind me asking, is the Archdiocese you belong to under the Patriarchate of Addis Ababa?
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die [...] These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -The Lord Jesus Christ

No longer active on OC.net. Please pray for me and forgive any harm I might have caused by my ignorance and malice.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 08:02:51 AM »
Indeed a very controversial figure
This is going to precipitate a lot of issues within the church. Most of the churches in the US have refused to accept him as a Patriarch and have been isolated...We also have another Patriarch and holy synod in exile here in the US...we'll see how all of this is going to be affected.

May the lord rest his soul in peace

Bytania

Amen. Let us pray for Abuna Paulos and for our Church. This is a critical time for the Coptic Church and for our Ethiopian Tewahedo Church. But God is in control, and the gates of hell shall not prevail.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline bytania

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 08:06:09 AM »
If you do not mind me asking, is the Archdiocese you belong to under the Patriarchate of Addis Ababa?

Yes. Of the 21 churches in Washington DC metro area, only 3 are under the Patriarchate in Addis Ababa. There are 2 under the Patriarchate in exile and the rest (16) are all independent (refused to accept Abune Paulos).

Bytania
Do not want things to turn out as they seem best to you, but as God pleases. Then you will be free from confusion, and thankful in prayer.
~The Desert Fathers

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 08:59:21 AM »
Sudden Death of Abune Paulos of Ethiopia

http://britishorthodox.org/3655/sudden-death-of-abune-paulos-of-ethiopia/

Memory Eternal

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa

Offline Hiwot

• Christ is Risen!
  • OC.net guru
  • Job 19:25-27
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
May the Lord forgive and in His infinite mercy grant eternal rest to the soul of HH Patriarch Abune Paulos. Amen.
To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.

Offline GTAsoldier

• Elder
  • Faith: Christian and failing at it
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 10:33:39 AM »
Memory eternal!  :(
God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
Memory eternal.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 11:35:08 PM »
Memory eternal!

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 12:46:42 PM »
Video: A Tribute to Patriarch Abune Paulos
http://youtu.be/3346DBm4btk

Press Release: Departure of His Holiness Abune Paulos, Patriarch of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church
http://www.copticcentre.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/press-release-departure-of-his-holiness.html

Facebook: Some pictures of HH Patriarch Abune Paulos
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/media/set/?set=a.275548132546626.47224.151032891664818&type=1

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 12:51:23 PM »
Armenian Catholicos condoles on death of Ethiopia’s Patriarch
http://news.am/eng/news/117583.html

Condolence Message to Ethiopian Church from The Catholicos of the East
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2012/08/condolence-message-to-ethiopian-church-from-the-catholicos-of-the-east-letter-and-video/

Patriarch Abune Paulose will be laid to rest on Thursday at the Holy Trinity Cathedral in Addis Ababa
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2012/08/patriarch-abune-paulose-will-be-laid-to-rest-on-thursday-at-the-holy-trinity-cathedral-in-addis-ababa/

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 08:30:44 PM »
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

God have mercy on the soul of His Holiness Abune Paulos!!

Alga Warach (Crown Prince) His Imperial Highness Zara Yacob Asfa Wossen and His Holiness Abune Paulos at the official funeral of HIM Haile Selassie I

While there has been a lot of controversy surrounding His Holiness, both at home abroad, I was initially brought into this Church by our fathers' pious and venerable example.  When HH mediated the repatriation of the Ethiopian Royal family in 2000 through the services of the Church, it is what truly affected my heart towards Orthodox.  His Holiness used to live in Los Angeles, and HH was one of the founding priests of the parish I attend.  To me the biggest tragedy is that so many Ethiopians in exile will not mourn for His Holiness over political differences.  It is an unconscionable tragedy all the more that currently lying in state are both the bodies of HH the Patriarch and also the Prime Minister Meles Zenawi!! Lord have His Mercy.

We need to be in prayer. The funeral is tomorrow, well by Ethiopian local time it is actually just in a few hours :(

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:50:04 PM by HabteSelassie »
"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10

Offline Severian

• Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »
^It's great to see you posting again, brother.

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:41:50 PM by CoptoGeek »

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 04:10:52 PM »
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

While many of those images were striking and emotional, the bright side is they are also beautifully moving and expressive symbols of pan-Oriental Orthodox unity and communion :) 

Praise our God that even in the face of such tragedy and sadness as losing TWO wonderful and popular Patriarchs in the Oriental world, that the body of Christ can still continue to celebrate our togetherness in mutual fellowship even while grieving our mutual losses. The outpouring of grief over the passing of His Holiness Pope Shenounda III was palpable among many Ethiopian Christians, are hearts are comforted to see our Oriental brothers and sisters reaching out to us in our own time of pain. Let us all pray for each other.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10

Offline dzheremi

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »
Lord mercy on the soul of HH Abune Paulos. Comfort Your holy Orthodox Church in Ethiopia and the world, and all its people in this time of mourning.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 12:41:52 AM »
Requiem held in Armenia for HH Abune Paulos:

http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/news/requiem-service-held-in-holy-etchmiadzin-for-the-late-patriarch-of-the-ethiopian-orthodox-church/

On August 27, 2012, a requiem service was held in the Mother Cathedral of Holy Etchmiadzin in remembrance the late Patriarch Abune Paulos, the Head of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church.  The service was presided by His Holiness His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians.

Prior to the service, His Grace Bishop Hovakim Manukyan, Director of the Interchurch Relations office, spoke about the years of the pontificate of Patriarch Abune Paulos, his important role in the strengthening of the Church of Ethiopia, and the brotherly relations between the Armenian Church and the Ethiopian Church. In his remarks, His Grace on behalf of the Catholicos of All Armenians and the members of the Brotherhood of Holy Etchmiadzin, once again expressed condolences to the Church and faithful people of Ethiopia.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:43:03 AM by Salpy »

Offline CoptoGeek

• OC.net guru
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 01:01:30 PM »
Progressive patriarch brokered peace

HIS HOLINESS ABUNE PAULOS, 1935-2012

http://www.smh.com.au/national/obituaries/progressive-patriarch-brokered-peace-20120906-25god.html

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 12:16:59 PM »
As we approach the end of the Coptic Papal process, I was curious to know what's the latest news in the Ethiopian Church?  Are there any talks with the Abune Merkerious group?  Are there nominations?
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 11:59:26 AM »
bump
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 11:58:29 AM »
So I'm guessing that even our Ethiopian friends here don't know???

Offline HabteSelassie

• Ises and I-ity
  • Archon
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »

From what I gather its a cards to the chest situation, but the Holy Synod in Addis has been sticking with the "acting Patriarch" Abune Nathanial, the former metropolitan Archbishop of Arsi who appointed in August.

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (ENA) – The Ethiopian Orthodox Church Holy Synod has appointed Arssi Diocese Patriarch, Abune Nathaniel as caretaker patriarchp of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (EOC).

The Holy Synod General Secretary and Keffa Sheka Benchi and Maji Dioceses Patriarch, His Holiness Abune Hiskele told journalists that the Synod in its meeting on Monday elected Abune Nathaniel to serve as managing patriarch until major election and anointment takes place.

He said the election of the managing archbishop helps realize multi-faceted spiritual and social activities of EOC.

Abune Hiskele said the Holy Synod has elected Abune Nathaniel for his long spiritual service based on the EOC canon.

With a view to consolidate the Holy Synod, some seven additional members for the outstanding Synod have been elected. The elected religious leaders are Abune Timotiyos, Abune Gabriel, Abune Estifanos, Abune Lukas, Abune Samuel, Abune Matewos and Abune Abraham.
ENA

I believe that is the Abune Abraham who is the Archbishop in Washington, D.C.

Here is a link with a lengthy article in Amharic explaining the matter, maybe sister Hiwot would care to give a synopsis :)

Here is Abune Nathaniel giving the blessing at the Feast of the True Cross in Addis Ababa in September..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 01:23:34 PM »
Here is an article on Patriarch Paulos that truly impressed me. May his memory be eternal. Here is the money paragraph:

"Widely known as a humble man of peace, he was awarded the Nansen Medal by the United Nations for his promotion of peace and his work with refugees. From the depths of prison wondering when he would be shot, to patriarch who negotiates an end to a war, Patriarch Paulos was an inspiring man, who lived his faith every day of his life. His example inspired many far beyond the boundary of Ethiopia to many who never met him. His life lives, also, in others who were close to him, such as his niece, a nurse and his nephew who became an incredible asset to humanity. Paulos’ legacy will be remembered for a long, long time."

Read more here: http://www.macon.com/2012/11/18/2252158/scholl-the-king-and-i-from-prisoner.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
From what I gather in my google searches, the Holy Synod in Exile made a statement:

http://www.ethiopianreview.net/index/?p=47902

It's unfortunately written in Amharic, so anyone here who could help with that would be great.

Second is this article by Tekle Abate:

http://www.ethiomedia.com/assert/4802.html

Where he writes some interesting correspondences, the problems, the scenarios, etc. of the Ethiopian synods.

Finally, there's this very recent site I found:

http://www.awrambatimes.com/?p=4693

Where it links to a video discussing the next step of the Ethiopian synods.  Unfortunately, that also is in Amharic.  So any help in any of these to understand fully what is going on would be greatly appreciated.