OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 12:59:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Use of icons in the Oriental Orthodox Church  (Read 9951 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2012, 09:33:43 AM »

An iconoclast saint = a saint who destroyed icons?

I thought "Iconoclast" who is against use of icons, deems it as sinful and improper for Christians. I understood that "were against icons" meant exactly that.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:37:18 AM by Alpo » Logged

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »

An iconoclast saint = a saint who destroyed icons?

I thought "Iconoclast" who is against use of icons, deems it as sinful and improper for Christians.

The word has both meanings: to be against the use of icons, and to destroy icons. The principle is the same.
Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »

Okay, I read that it literally means "image breaker".

But apparently they wrote short comments (passing by) against their usage in their writings, but the feeling I got when I was told about it is that they were worried that it might become idolatry so I don't know about deeming it as sinful.

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Tags: OO icons Armenian Church Syriac Orthodox Indian Orthodox 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: