OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 07:32:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Authority of the Church?  (Read 157 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: November 22, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »

Just out of curiousity, where do we find the authority for the Church in Scriptures? Other than that bit in Matthew 16 about the Church, the council of Jerusalem and a few instances of the disciples establishing Bishops, I don't see anything explicitely ensuring the Church's authority or speaking that the Church is the only path toward salvation.

For me this is not a problem, because I don't subscribe to Sola Scriptura, but to many others this is a problem, and somewhat of an understandable one. Are there any 'smoking gun' passages in the Scriptures that bear witness to and/or establish our authority? Everything so far seems to be only implicit, and honestly not very convincing unless you are already convinced of the Church's authority.

Thanks

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »

" The church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. (1 Timothy 3:15)"

And:

"He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute Me?"(Acts 9:4)"

Did St. Paul persecute Christ or the Church? It was the Church. Christ was referring to the Church as "Me"

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Ah well, there we have it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:45:18 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: