Author Topic: Authority of the Church?  (Read 217 times)

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheist
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Authority of the Church?
« on: November 22, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »
Just out of curiousity, where do we find the authority for the Church in Scriptures? Other than that bit in Matthew 16 about the Church, the council of Jerusalem and a few instances of the disciples establishing Bishops, I don't see anything explicitely ensuring the Church's authority or speaking that the Church is the only path toward salvation.

For me this is not a problem, because I don't subscribe to Sola Scriptura, but to many others this is a problem, and somewhat of an understandable one. Are there any 'smoking gun' passages in the Scriptures that bear witness to and/or establish our authority? Everything so far seems to be only implicit, and honestly not very convincing unless you are already convinced of the Church's authority.

Until I see the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, I will not believe.

Offline Cyrillic

• The Laughing Cavalier
  • Toumarches
  • Level 13 Chalcedonian Paladin
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
Re: Authority of the Church?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
" The church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. (1 Timothy 3:15)"

"He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute Me?"(Acts 9:4)"

Did St. Paul persecute Christ or the Church? It was the Church. Christ was referring to the Church as "Me"

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Ah well, there we have it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:45:18 PM by Cyrillic »
At nunc desertis cessant sacraria lucis:
aurum omnes victa iam pietate colunt.
-Propertius, Elegies III.XIII:47-48

Ἀπ' ὃσα ἒκαμα κι ἀπ’ ὃσα εἶπα
νὰ μὴ ζητήσουνε νὰ βροῦν ποιός ἢμουν
-C.P Cavafy