Author Topic: Authority of the Church?  (Read 193 times)

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
Authority of the Church?
« on: November 22, 2012, 04:35:15 PM »
Just out of curiousity, where do we find the authority for the Church in Scriptures? Other than that bit in Matthew 16 about the Church, the council of Jerusalem and a few instances of the disciples establishing Bishops, I don't see anything explicitely ensuring the Church's authority or speaking that the Church is the only path toward salvation.

For me this is not a problem, because I don't subscribe to Sola Scriptura, but to many others this is a problem, and somewhat of an understandable one. Are there any 'smoking gun' passages in the Scriptures that bear witness to and/or establish our authority? Everything so far seems to be only implicit, and honestly not very convincing unless you are already convinced of the Church's authority.

Thanks
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Toumarches
  • We must go back!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
Re: Authority of the Church?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
" The church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth. (1 Timothy 3:15)"

And:

"He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute Me?"(Acts 9:4)"

Did St. Paul persecute Christ or the Church? It was the Church. Christ was referring to the Church as "Me"

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

Ah well, there we have it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:45:18 PM by Cyrillic »
"We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!"
-T.S. Eliot