OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:41:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greek Orthodox Priest  (Read 743 times) Average Rating: 0
God Bless3232

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I have been a Greek Orthodox Christian all my life!!! Down with the atheists

« on: November 18, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »

I was wondering what high school courses were needed to become a greek orthodox priest. I feel that i have a calling to becoem a priest and absolutely love chanting the Byzantine hymns and am an avid church goer.

any other dvice on the path to becoming a priest would be great

ps...(i am in grade10)
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »

Why not take Classical Greek?

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »

Generally a 4 year BA/BS degree plus a 3 year M.Div degree are needed (=7 years of college beyond high school). Doesn't matter what high school or college courses you take previous to the Masters level.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 04:35:24 PM »

the priesthood is not something you decide for yourself.
spend lots of time in prayer, fasting, Bible study and attending church, and then you will be ready to serve God in whatever way He calls you.
 Smiley
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 04:36:55 PM »

Generally a 4 year BA/BS degree plus a 3 year M.Div degree are needed (=7 years of college beyond high school). Doesn't matter what high school or college courses you take previous to the Masters level.

Though Cyrillic has a good point. If your high school offers relevent language courses, getting a head start there wouldn't hurt.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 09:43:10 PM »

It would really help if you had education/training that you could use to earn a living, just in case you are called as a priest to serve a parish that cannot pay you.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:20:28 PM »

It would really help if you had education/training that you could use to earn a living, just in case you are called as a priest to serve a parish that cannot pay you.

This is EXCELLENT advice.  Though being a priest of course would be your first calling in life, it is important to have something that will always be able to earn you a living if needs be.   Sometimes a parish is unable to pay, sometimes a little.... There are occasions when you may even be called to another church.

What area are you planning on attending seminary?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:51:08 AM »

Note he did say "Greek" Priest.

they get paid well! Grin

Its our Russian brotheres that get the short end of the stick Sad
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 01:00:59 AM »

they get paid well! Grin

There are some Greek priests who teach in college, write books, or compose music/chant professionally on the side. It helps to have an education. In that way, if the Bishop feels that a person is not cut out to be a priest, they will have some education to help pay the bills.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 01:05:34 AM »

Mainly, you want to consult your father-confessor, since he knows all about your sins and struggles and has the grace of the priesthood to help out.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 01:12:08 AM »

Mainly, you want to consult your father-confessor, since he knows all about your sins and struggles and has the grace of the priesthood to help out.

That is very true.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 02:32:21 AM »

they get paid well! Grin

There are some Greek priests who teach in college, write books, or compose music/chant professionally on the side. It helps to have an education. In that way, if the Bishop feels that a person is not cut out to be a priest, they will have some education to help pay the bills.

Of course, thts called a back up plan. or plan B in case plan A falls through. that goes without saying?!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:32:59 AM by Nikolaostheservant » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 03:05:22 AM »

Well while you are studying to be a Priest, you could also throw in some Philosophy and Philosophy of Religion courses in the mix, that way if the Church you get assigned to cannot pay you, you could possibly make a decent living off of teaching philosophy or religion at a college or even high-school as a professor/teacher.

As for myself, I personally would not last a day as a Priest. I don't have the empathy and people people skills to really help people emotionally and guide them as a fatherly figure. I think I would be more fitted as a professor at a Seminary or something, because at least then all I would have to do is teach others theology and use my overly-analytical mind for something good.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 03:06:43 AM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 06:19:47 AM »

Ancient Greek, German, French. If you want to study theology at university later, you'll find those three immensely helpful, and if you wish to teach thereafter, indispensable.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 06:20:06 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 08:26:35 AM »

Well while you are studying to be a Priest, you could also throw in some Philosophy and Philosophy of Religion courses in the mix, that way if the Church you get assigned to cannot pay you, you could possibly make a decent living off of teaching philosophy or religion at a college or even high-school as a professor/teacher.

As for myself, I personally would not last a day as a Priest. I don't have the empathy and people people skills to really help people emotionally and guide them as a fatherly figure. I think I would be more fitted as a professor at a Seminary or something, because at least then all I would have to do is teach others theology and use my overly-analytical mind for something good.

Only a very small percentage of people who want to actually succeed in making a living from teaching religion or philosophy. It is an extremely competitive field, with far more would-be teachers than positions, especially if one is not trained in comparative religion, Islam, the Far East, etc.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »

I didn't have much empathy or people skills when I became a teacher.  You can learn such skills and be transformed if your committed to reflection and repentance.  I've been a teacher for 6 years and it has truly changed me (how couldn't it!).  And teaching jobs can be difficult to secure and require long hours.

Also, teaching philosophy on a post-secondary level would be an incredibly hard position to secure.

I would suggest getting some training in a career like mechanic, plumber, electrician.  These jobs you can make a good living, they can't be outsourced and you can say the Jesus Prayer while working.

God bless.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »

I would suggest getting some training in a career like mechanic, plumber, electrician.  These jobs you can make a good living, they can't be outsourced and you can say the Jesus Prayer while working.

How about I fix your leaky toilet when I do the house blessing? Here's the bill.  Grin Tongue

Setting the humour aside, this is indeed very practical advice. I wish I had training in a trade. It will get you into people's homes - just be wise about using that opening.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: