OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 03:36:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Hark, The Harold Angel's Sing" a Christological Heresy?  (Read 1270 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: November 17, 2012, 09:46:29 PM »

Is the classic Christmas hymn a Christological heresy because of the following line, "Veiled in flesh the Godhead see,"? This line--'VEILED in flesh'--seems to undermine the Divinity of Jesus' human nature. It makes it appear as if God only wore human flesh/looked like a human, but that He wasn't truly human. What's the name of this heresy again?

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:09:20 PM »

Do you mean "Herald Angels"?

Proverbs 22:7
MarkAC

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 10:37:14 PM »

I think the heresy you are thinking of is docetism, which taught that Christ only seemed to be human; I believe certain forms of Gnosticism taught this also.

Although the line you quote could be taken that way if considered in isolation, I think that if you consider the following lines along with it, you get a different impression.  In the version I learned, after "Veiled in flesh the Godhead see" comes:

"Hail the incarnate deity,
Pleased as man with men to dwell,
Jesus our Immanuel."

There is a clear indication that Jesus is God "incarnate", and that He is a man.  So, whatever one may think of Christmas carols, or western hymns in general, I think we can absolve this particular carol of the docetist heresy.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 10:58:54 PM »

I think the heresy you are thinking of is docetism, which taught that Christ only seemed to be human; I believe certain forms of Gnosticism taught this also.

Although the line you quote could be taken that way if considered in isolation, I think that if you consider the following lines along with it, you get a different impression.  In the version I learned, after "Veiled in flesh the Godhead see" comes:

Jesus our Immanuel."

There is a clear indication that Jesus is God "incarnate", and that He is a man.  So, whatever one may think of Christmas carols, or western hymns in general, I think we can absolve this particular carol of the docetist heresy.

You have to admire his persistence . . .

James gives good internetz.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »

Ah yes, the old heresy of being written by Western Christians, a particularly pernicious heresy prevalent since the time of Augustine, the first Western Christian who dared to write extensively.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:03:58 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
ZealousZeal
Interplanet Janet
Archon

Faith: ✔

I'm the magnificent, marvelous, mad Madam Mim.

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:12:02 PM »

Ah yes, the old heresy of being written by Western Christians, a particularly pernicious heresy prevalent since the time of Augustine, the first Western Christian who dared to write extensively.

Cheesy

Westernism... Like modernism, only worse. And way more geographic.

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 11:17:54 PM »

There is an angel named Harold?

I must know more!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 11:19:17 PM »

Yes, because JamesR is well known to be a member of the Augustine hating club.

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - Proverbs 18:2

Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. - Psalm 36
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »

I must know more!

Well, the angel in It's a Wonderful Life was called Clarence. Close enough?   laugh
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 11:27:56 PM »

Yes, because JamesR is well known to be a member of the Augustine hating club.

I would know. I'm the one who inducted him.

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »

Cheesy

Westernism... Like modernism, only worse. And way more geographic.

What are you talking about? All the cool kids know that Westernism and Modernism are the same thing. You can't have the Enlightenment without Scholasticism.  Wink

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 06:46:50 AM »

I must know more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMWn2oDAUVc   laugh

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Faith: I have it, but I don't live up to it
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

St. Severus of Antioch, Crown of the Syrians!

Partisangirl
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 06:51:16 AM »

On a slightly different note:

Is it OK for an Orthodox Christian to listen and sing western Christmas carols?

I'm trying to avoid polemical posts until after Lent

Update, 4/9- Trying again...

Please pray for persecuted Christians in Egypt, Syria, Iraq, Palestine & Kosovo

God bless Egypt & Syria, we share the same pain
Severian
Glory be to the Most-Holy Trinity, both now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 06:55:15 AM »

Is the classic Christmas hymn a Christological heresy because of the following line, "Veiled in flesh the Godhead see,"? This line--'VEILED in flesh'--seems to undermine the Divinity of Jesus' human nature. It makes it appear as if God only wore human flesh/looked like a human, but that He wasn't truly human. What's the name of this heresy again?
It is not necessarily heretical, but one could misconstrue it as Doceticism if they really wanted to.

"[Christ] who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross." -Phillipians 2:6-8

Here, St. Paul says that Christ appeared as a man, but it is quite clear in context what he means by "appeared."
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:56:03 AM by Severian » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 06:59:03 AM »

It is not necessarily heretical, but one could misconstrue it as Doceticism if they really wanted to.

"[Christ] who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross." -Phillipians 2:6-8

Here, St. Paul says that Christ appeared as a man, but it is quite clear in context what he means by "appeared."

Appearance only gets a bad rap if you let the bigotries of Greeks bother you.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 06:59:29 AM »

Tell me you are joking?

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 07:00:32 AM »

Tell me you are joking?
Is your face joking?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:02:21 AM by Severian » Logged

LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 07:10:57 AM »

A good number of traditional western Christmas carols, especially those which pre-date the Reformation, are completely compatible with Orthodox teaching. O Come All Ye Faithful and Hark the Herald Angels Sing are good examples. They shouldn't be sung during Orthodox services as a liturgical replacement for hymns appointed for those services, but, otherwise, if there's no heresy or distortion in a carol, why not enjoy them?  Smiley
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 07:12:29 AM »

A good number of traditional western Christmas carols, especially those which pre-date the Reformation, are completely compatible with Orthodox teaching. O Come All Ye Faithful and Hark the Herald Angels Sing are good examples. They shouldn't be sung during Orthodox services as a liturgical replacement for hymns appointed for those services, but, otherwise, if there's no heresy or distortion in a carol, why not enjoy them?  Smiley
Thank you for your input, LBK. Smiley

Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 07:23:34 AM »

Don't you forget that blasted Tertullian, him writing in Latin and living in the west is even worse than him becoming a montanist!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:23:43 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

Πρὸς δὲ τὸν ἀξιοῦντα δημοκρατίαν ἐν τῇ πόλει καταστήσασθαι ὁ Λυκοῦργος εἶπε 'σὺ πρῶτος ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ σου ποίησον δημοκρατίαν.'
-Lycurgus
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 01:42:10 PM »

Don't you forget that blasted Tertullian, him writing in Latin and living in the west is even worse than him becoming a montanist!

Tertullian lived in Montana?

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 01:46:47 PM »

Yes, terrible huh?

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

Πρὸς δὲ τὸν ἀξιοῦντα δημοκρατίαν ἐν τῇ πόλει καταστήσασθαι ὁ Λυκοῦργος εἶπε 'σὺ πρῶτος ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ σου ποίησον δημοκρατίαν.'
-Lycurgus
FormerReformer
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »

Yes, terrible huh?
It explains quite a bit.

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 01:58:14 PM »

JamesR

Please see Heb. 10  police
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 03:51:08 PM »

Is the classic Christmas hymn a Christological heresy because of the following line, "Veiled in flesh the Godhead see,"? This line--'VEILED in flesh'--seems to undermine the Divinity of Jesus' human nature. It makes it appear as if God only wore human flesh/looked like a human...

"You clothed me with skin and flesh, and knit me together with bones and sinews..." -Job 10

So to be clothed with flesh means to have flesh.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:51:21 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 04:01:10 PM »

This hymn was written by Charles Wesley, brother of John Wesley, founder of the Methodist movement. I have never heard anyone question their understanding of the Incarnation. I think you're taking a single word out of context here and making too much of it. It's a bit poetic, that's all.
Fr.Aidan
Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »

The only problematic Christmas carol I can think of is that one that identifies the star of Bethlehem, which tradition says was an appearance of the Christ Child in the heavens (in other words, it looked like a baby) with a comet, of all things. It has those lines, "Do you see what I see? A star, a star dancing in the night with a tail as big as a kite, with a tail as big as a kite."

While not heretical, it is clearly contrary to Orthodox Tradition. The song came out about a month before I was born.

I don't see any heresy in "veiled in flesh the Godhead see," but I think that if a person looks under every rock for heresy, they are probably distracted from their divine calling.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:06:36 PM by Fr.Aidan » Logged
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »

The only problematic Christmas carol I can think of is that one that identifies the star of Bethlehem, which tradition says was an appearance of the Christ Child in the heavens (in other words, it looked like a baby) with a comet, of all things. It has those lines, "Do you see what I see? A star, a star dancing in the night with a tail as big as a kite, with a tail as big as a kite."

While not heretical, it is clearly contrary to Orthodox Tradition. The song came out about a month before I was born.

I don't see any heresy in "veiled in flesh the Godhead see," but I think that if a person looks under every rock for heresy, they are probably distracted from their divine calling.
Father, I haven't come across that tradition before. How is it referenced in hymnography or perhaps the Infancy Gospels? (Not disputing you, please understand - just curious.)
Fr.Aidan
Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 07:10:37 PM »

I am pretty sure St. John Chrysostom mentions it, and the Prologue From Ochrid based on earlier sources, of course. I don't have a detailed answer, unfortunately. Help!
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »

That would be the new show "Harold Angels Sing" ,A combination of Charlies Angels and Touched by an Angel,About three beautiful Girls who save souls and solve murders While working on the set of The new American Idol. angel laugh police
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:33:18 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »

Father, I haven't come across that tradition before. How is it referenced in hymnography or perhaps the Infancy Gospels? (Not disputing you, please understand - just curious.)

There is nothing at all in the Nativity and pre-Nativity hymnography which describes the star which led the Magi to Bethlehem as looking like a child or babe. Any such imagery, even if written of by a saint, can only be regarded as speculation, or, perhaps, a mistranslation from the original language, or a misunderstanding of what the saint actually wrote.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:05:07 PM by LBK » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 10:51:08 PM »

Jesus our Immanuel."

You have to admire his persistence . . .

James gives good internetz.

You are not kidding.  Smiley

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 10:56:32 PM »

You bring up a good point.  I honestly never thought of that.

Replacing a comet with a star....

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: