OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 09:43:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem?  (Read 2262 times) Average Rating: 0
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« on: November 17, 2012, 04:06:44 PM »

Does anyone know when the new Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem will be elected?

Thanks!
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:52:33 AM »

I think the rule is supposed to be that the new patriarch is elected 40 days after the death of the previous one.  In that case, it should be happening soon, perhaps next week.  That being said, I really haven't heard anything specific about it.  So I really don't know.

Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 01:36:54 AM »

The election has been scheduled for January.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 02:08:59 AM »

Why are they waiting until January?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 02:09:38 AM by Salpy » Logged

Aram

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 02:39:37 AM »

This is mere informed speculation, as when I recently asked a voting member of the Brotherhood, the specific reason was not given, but the implication was that January was the first convenient time after the karasoonk for the Brotherhood to convene.  Remember, the membership is quite literally scattered in every corner of the globe, and a some of them are bishops with a number of scheduling needs between their own dioceses and elsewhere. 

Honestly, there isn't that much of a difference between the election happening this month or in January after Christmas is over.  It's really a non-story. 
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 03:10:50 AM »

This is mere informed speculation, as when I recently asked a voting member of the Brotherhood, the specific reason was not given, but the implication was that January was the first convenient time after the karasoonk for the Brotherhood to convene.  Remember, the membership is quite literally scattered in every corner of the globe, and a some of them are bishops with a number of scheduling needs between their own dioceses and elsewhere. 

That makes sense.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/137773/

PanARMENIAN.Net - A new Armenian Patriarch of Jerusalem will be elected during a January 23-25 synod of St. James Brotherhood.

As the Patriarchate told PanARMENIAN.Net according to the regulations, representatives of the Brotherhood aged over 35 are eligible for the Patriarch’s post. Currently, the number of candidates lists is over 30.

5 priests will be elected by a secret ballot in the 1st stage, with their number to be cut down to 3, out of which the Patriarch will be chosen.

Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 03:10:30 PM »

Here is a short interview with Archbishop Aris Shirvanian, the locum tenens of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem and much beloved former pastor of Saint John Armenian Church in San Francisco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK9Bt7uC-xo

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »

Archbishop Nourhan Manoogian, the current Grand Sacristan of the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem, has been elected 97th Armenian Patriarch, gaining 18 out of 33 votes, in the second round of the solemn election that took place Thursday, Jan 24.

http://www.panarmenian.net/eng/news/142660/Archbishop_Manoogian_elected_Armenian_Patriarch_of_Jerusalem

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 05:14:44 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGTcmLgiMwI - some snaps (short video fragments) from the intronization of the new patriarch that has taken place today (the 4th of June). Very nice chant Smiley

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 08:18:23 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGTcmLgiMwI - some snaps (short video fragments) from the intronization of the new patriarch that has taken place today (the 4th of June). Very nice chant Smiley

Beautiful footage and music; thanks for sharing.

God grant His Beatitude Patriarch Nourhan Manougian many years!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:18:43 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 10:33:46 AM »

Are all OOs in Israel under Armenian jurisdiction?

Aram

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »

Are all OOs in Israel under Armenian jurisdiction?
No. The Patriarchate of Jerusalem oversees all of the Armenian churches and property holdings in Israel, the Palestinian territories, and Jordan. The other OOs in the Holy Land are part of their respective churches.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 01:05:02 PM »

What was that side altar or shrine at which the new patriarch was offering incense?  It appeared to be built over something. 

Beautiful church...the main altar looks like a more elaborate version of that in St Mark's Monastery (Syrian). 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 04:24:33 PM »

May God grant the patriarch many years!

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Aram

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »

What was that side altar or shrine at which the new patriarch was offering incense?  It appeared to be built over something. 

Beautiful church...the main altar looks like a more elaborate version of that in St Mark's Monastery (Syrian). 
If memory serves, that's the chapel built over the burial site of the head of St. James the Great.

St. James Cathedral could be the most amazing place I've ever been. There's something like 25 altars scattered around the building, only about five of which are accessible to the public. Just gorgeous, but in need of serious repairs. There was a rumor when I was there about some kind of UNESCO grant to fund renovations, but I've heard nothing about it since.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 02:51:12 PM »

Again very nice video with great chanting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEuBn5jhvMc - new patriarcha in Bethelelem Smiley

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Aram

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 01:49:05 AM »

With all due respect, I really wish the priest uploading all these videos would stop dubbing them with completely unrelated music. It's pretty much worthless without the real audio.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 06:05:58 AM »

With all due respect, I really wish the priest uploading all these videos would stop dubbing them with completely unrelated music. It's pretty much worthless without the real audio.

I don't perceive it as something wrong, but that's probably because I don't know what they sing in reality and what in this audio that the priest puts into video. I really love the chants that he adds to the videos - I think they're nice commnetary to the them (I mean in artistic way, as for words - no idea). Maybe the real voices are recorded in poor quality?... Or (more probable, and that's the case of shortcuts of services in TV news) it would be a disastrous effect with the original sound, as it would be lasting only a few seconds, stop, next chant lasting a few seconds, stop etc.

vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 05:59:56 AM »

I don't perceive it as something wrong, but that's probably because I don't know what they sing in reality....

The music the father put in those 2 videos is from the Armenian Divine Liturgy. So nothing so "unrelated" Smiley
Aram

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 05:51:12 PM »

Much better video of the enthronement, uploaded today by the Eastern Diocese here in the United States:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbzn2jTQ2tc
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 05:51:52 PM by Aram » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 07:11:41 PM »

Do Armenians dress their deacons as Greek bishops in order to state something to the effect : your bishops are barely worth our deacons. Brilliant. A random thought .
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »

Do Armenians dress their deacons as Greek bishops in order to state something to the effect : your bishops are barely worth our deacons. Brilliant. A random thought .

No.

It's discussed here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,42642.0.html

Aram

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 07:24:59 PM »

All joking aside, Armenian deacons in Jerusalem almost always wear crowns while serving. It's a local custom. Other than that, Armenian deacons wear almost identical vestments to EO deacons with the exception of wrist cuffs.

Some of the robes, stoles, and crowns you see in this video date back several hundred years, as on special occasions, the deacons at the patriarchate often wear vestments out of the treasury.
Tags: Armenian Church deacons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: