OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:21:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Advent Wreath  (Read 2358 times) Average Rating: 0
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« on: October 29, 2009, 04:36:37 PM »

I know it's only October 29th but the Nativity Fast is just around the corner.  I am writing a blog post on Orthodox Advent Wreaths and wonder if anyone has any pictures of their Orthodox style wreath or any special instructions or tips they could share.  I have made one for my own family in the past but never thought to take a picture, and honestly, I've not had too much luck finding a way to arrange candles in a wreath frame without making a big mess or worrying about burning the house down.  Western Christians have a gazillion choices for pre-made advent wreaths on stable, well-designed frames.  Since this is such a new little "t" tradition among Orthodox, we haven't come up with our own products yet.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:37:10 PM by TinaG » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:39:29 PM »

Out of curiosity, what distinguishes an "Orthodox" Advent wreath from a Western-style traditional wreath?

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:44:15 PM »

Never heard of an "Orthodox" advent wreath.

I would assume that they would need more candles than the typical advent wreath.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »

Never heard of an "Orthodox" advent wreath.

I would assume that they would need more candles than the typical advent wreath.

That's the way I've been informed by other Orthodox parishioners who've made them.  Add an extra candle for the 5 Sundays in the Fast.  Interestingly, the color of the candles doesn't seem to be as big a deal.  There isn't the same association with pink or purple - I've just usually gotten them all one color, purple, and a white candle for the day of the Nativity itself in the middle.   Growing up Lutheran we always had an Advent wreath and of course, the Orthodox friends I've heard about that still observe the custom, are all Protestant/Lutheran/German Catholic converts. 

A little off the subject but there is also a German tradition of Advent calendars (basically a Christmas countdown calendar that I associate with chocolate treats behind the paper doors.)  Dr. Phyllis Onest (who is a superstar of Orthodox Christian children's education programs) came up with an Orthodox version of an Advent calendar for children that has very involved instructions for doing Advent readings and observances for each day on the calendar.   I'm not very crafty so I've never made this but it's perfect for young children.   http://www.theologic.com/oflweb/xmas/advcal.htm
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:59:37 PM by TinaG » Logged

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 05:03:53 PM »

I've seen them.  they have six candles instead of four.

They are not part of the eastern tradition and for some people, mainly coming from a German liturgical background, the wreaths are important.  I don't think they're harmful but I don't think they have a place in Orthodox churches just like christmas trees have no place either.  BUt, apparently, I'm in the minority.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
easternman61

Faith: russian orthodox church
Jurisdiction: fl deanery

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »

EVENIN ALL-
I have beem praying for 5 days now before the Advent wreath
i have had for sometime only to find out it is wrong or incorrect.
Now i am trying to find candles of blue?
I read where one can tie ribbons of different colors to signify
the different colors while just receiving 2 boxes via internet
only to be wrong @ catholic... any way there is always next year..
I am subborn and will not pray with the 3 purple and 1 pink.
I only wonder why no wreaths are orthodox..taht amazes me.
I amonly BLESSED TO FIND THRU this sitethe correctcolors and scripture
and symbols thryout the 7colors. Thanks again for thepost i found this am and the grace of God to find it!
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »

Instructions for an Orthodox wreath:
http://www.orthocuban.com/2010/11/on-building-an-orthodox-advent-wreath/

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 11:44:28 PM »

I don't think there is really such a thing as an Orthodox advent wreath. It's just a very modern/recent idea even with German folks.

There can be advent wreaths used by Orthodox, just as there can be Bach chorales sung by Orthodox, but I don't think we would call those "Orthodox Bach Chorales."

I was Western Rite for over 21 years, but there was never any advent wreath, because it just wasn't in the Western tradition to speak of.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 04:51:09 AM »

We make one evey year  Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 05:26:37 AM »

This is news to me.  First time I have heard about it.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 10:35:03 AM »

The Orthodox Advent Wreath needs to have a beard just as long as the wreath, else it is a western innovation!

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »

Ha ha....that's funny.

....and scary.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: