OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:50:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atheist Blogger Converts to Christianity  (Read 1463 times) Average Rating: 0
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« on: June 20, 2012, 05:03:44 AM »

I don't know if any of you have a problem reading The Blaze (Glenn Beck's news site), but that's where I was shown this story. Leah Libresco, a now former atheist blogger for Patheos.com, has converted to Christianity, Catholicism, in particular.

Atheist blogger Leah Libresco shocked the secular community this week when she announced on her Patheos blog that she has converted to Christianity. Her article, entitled, “This is my last post for the Patheos Atheist Portal,” explained her conversion to Catholicism, which has sent shock-waves through the atheist blogosphere.

In her post, Libresco details her personal struggles with understanding the root of moral law. Obviously, non-believers don’t see morality as coming from a central source. Instead, they see humanity as living on its own, disconnected from any fertile source of knowledge and goodness. For Libresco, this ideal has come full-circle, as she inevitably arrived at an understanding that aligns with a Christ-centered world-view.

It's great to hear these sorts of things. Even if she's not becoming Orthodox, she is surely taking a big step forward.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
WeldeMikael
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:35:38 AM »

I agree.

God bless
alanscott
Elder

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Wesleyan

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:24:45 AM »

I don't know if any of you have a problem reading The Blaze (Glenn Beck's news site), but that's where I was shown this story. Leah Libresco, a now former atheist blogger for Patheos.com, has converted to Christianity, Catholicism, in particular.

Atheist blogger Leah Libresco shocked the secular community this week when she announced on her Patheos blog that she has converted to Christianity. Her article, entitled, “This is my last post for the Patheos Atheist Portal,” explained her conversion to Catholicism, which has sent shock-waves through the atheist blogosphere.

In her post, Libresco details her personal struggles with understanding the root of moral law. Obviously, non-believers don’t see morality as coming from a central source. Instead, they see humanity as living on its own, disconnected from any fertile source of knowledge and goodness. For Libresco, this ideal has come full-circle, as she inevitably arrived at an understanding that aligns with a Christ-centered world-view.

It's great to hear these sorts of things. Even if she's not becoming Orthodox, she is surely taking a big step forward.

Glory be to God!  Smiley

I understand C.S. Lewis also turned from atheist to theist (then eventually Christianity) because of such recognition in a moral law. He uses such as a foundation to build upon in the book 'Mere Christianity'. Any chance Leah Libresco mentioned that?

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:29:21 AM »

Yipee! We got another one! I just have to wait for my bumpersticker and $25 in the mail.  Wink

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:02:32 AM »

I think internet atheism is starting to wane. I've seen plenty of anti-atheist Good Guy Greg memes, for example. A year ago that would've been unthinkable.

Cheers!

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Valekhai

Faith: atheist

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »

It's an interesting turn of events, but not a surprising one. She wasn't the usual sort of atheist that one finds on the internet, and I don't think she's going to be a usual sort of Catholic. I'm looking forward to her coming posts.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »

Good luck to her. I hope she doesn't get too much crap from people.

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 02:03:59 PM »

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." ~St. John 15:18

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 02:11:34 PM »

"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." ~St. John 15:18

I meant both believers and nonbelievers actually.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 06:10:32 PM »

My father worried about me asking too many questions at one point in life once told me something he heard from His Holiness Pope Shenouda, and I don't know if these were the exact words but it went like this:

"One time an atheist and a believer had a debate.  At the end of the debate, the atheist became the believer and the believer became the atheist."  I seem to see a lot of that going around these days.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »

Seems to be more of a philosophical faith that she adopted, rather than a mystical experience of God.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 06:46:13 PM »

Seems to be more of a philosophical faith that she adopted, rather than a mystical experience of God.

Both are really overrated.

The one can bought in kindle format for less than $10.

The other in a variety of formats from $1-$180 (for the pedestrian without discrimination).

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 06:49:15 PM »

nevermind
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:51:26 PM by KBN1 » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »

Well young atheists use their atheism as a justification for their morality, it then becomes arbitrary. I think morality need to be grounded in truth, and considering truth is a person, well you can conclude from there.

I don't believe morality was a convincing argument for me into Christianity because I don't see Christianity that way. When using Christianity as a moral good really devalues actually being transformed as a Christian.

And who cares what's morally good for the world? We are taught to reject the world and deny ourselves more importantly.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »

We are taught to reject the world and deny ourselves more importantly.

Guess you won't be watching that game 5.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »

We are taught to reject the world and deny ourselves more importantly.

Guess you won't be watching that game 5.

Sad

No I'm too busy weeping with LBJ on Game 5.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:45:02 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 08:08:48 PM »

I think a lot of people don't realize that they converted because of prayer, not because they decided to validate an idea.  The idea was just a kicker for the real stuff, the experience of God.

There are many avenues to this experience, but many people mistake the avenue is the cause of their true inner conversion.  I think she converted truly, just mistakenly chooses what exactly converted her.  But I don't make such a big deal out of it.  I think sooner or later, she and many others will get it, and continue to experience that mystical unity with God.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 08:15:02 PM »

My father worried about me asking too many questions at one point in life once told me something he heard from His Holiness Pope Shenouda, and I don't know if these were the exact words but it went like this:

"One time an atheist and a believer had a debate.  At the end of the debate, the atheist became the believer and the believer became the atheist."  I seem to see a lot of that going around these days.

Yes, I have seen that happen.
There was this muslim inquirer into Orthodoxy who really enjoyed debating with atheists online and in his high school. In the end, he managed to "convert" at least one atheist to Christianity, but in the process, this ex-muslim became very proud and ended up joining the atheists.

Several people send him PMs and emails as we noticed that he was becoming quite arrogant.
He would not listen. Lord have mercy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 08:42:14 AM »

I don't believe morality was a convincing argument for me into Christianity because I don't see Christianity that way. When using Christianity as a moral good really devalues actually being transformed as a Christian.

Agreed, though I'm not sure it led her and others directly to a belief in Christ as much as a belief in God that can lead to Christianity. 

In my darkest days I have never been able to understand being a true atheist. With that said I understand this common moral code to not bring them to Christianity (proof of Christ Lord) but has caused some atheists to come to terms with the existence of God. Again, it is a little beyond my understanding but an atheist can exclude a 'creator'. Big bang theory etc.  It seems possible for many to find logical justifications for not believing in God. However, if they come to see a 'moral code' that exists and transends beyond 'cultural moralities' that becomes very difficult to logically explain or justify. So, I don't imagine that leads them to believe in Christ but by God's grace they first accept there must be some type of God responsible for this 'common morality'. If (big if) they accept God's grace and pursue it further it can and has led some to Christianity. Glory be to God. 

There are heathens that live with more virtue than I. The devil himself believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Neither of these things truly makes me Christian.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 06:57:04 PM »

Agreed, though I'm not sure it led her and others directly to a belief in Christ as much as a belief in God that can lead to Christianity. 
And I don't have a problem with that of course. However if one has a conception just in a deistic God for absolute moral values/truths well I think one has to face alot of question begging.

In my darkest days I have never been able to understand being a true atheist. With that said I understand this common moral code to not bring them to Christianity (proof of Christ Lord) but has caused some atheists to come to terms with the existence of God. Again, it is a little beyond my understanding but an atheist can exclude a 'creator'. Big bang theory etc.  It seems possible for many to find logical justifications for not believing in God. However, if they come to see a 'moral code' that exists and transends beyond 'cultural moralities' that becomes very difficult to logically explain or justify. So, I don't imagine that leads them to believe in Christ but by God's grace they first accept there must be some type of God responsible for this 'common morality'. If (big if) they accept God's grace and pursue it further it can and has led some to Christianity. Glory be to God. 
See I can never become an atheist for a wide variety of reasons, but when I first found Orthodoxy I had to do alot of shedding of my belief on what God is which caused quite a number of doubts, which Orthodoxy was able to answer for me perfectly. My struggles stem from aligning myself to Christ which is a radical change in "lifestyle" for me and just the way in life. But after time it came to the point where I had to stop being dishonest with myself and just start doing it.

These converts who become Christian just because it exemplifies some good morality is pretty weak and shallow IMO. You can't just contemplate it without actually making an example of that morality. I'm not trying to judge here but you have to be transformed by Christ first and forget encapsulating something into a nice little subject called "morality"

However I am very convinced that atheism does reject all morality.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 07:22:23 PM »

I'm not trying to judge here but you have to be transformed by Christ first and forget encapsulating something into a nice little subject called "morality"

...However I am very convinced that atheism does reject all morality.

One step at a time. Some find the right answers for the right reasons, others find the right answers for the wrong reasons and have to work from there.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to get to the local PEACE chapter meeting tonight. (PEACE stands for Pervertedly Excellent Atheist Cannibal Enthusiasts -- though we often just call ourselves "the excellents")
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:22:46 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »

That just made my night. Now if there is infighting in your group, even better.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
jaroslavkourakin

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »

Does it matter if someone is Orthodox? Still doesn't mean anyone will be living a Christian life.

“But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go work today in the vineyard.’ “And he answered, ‘I will not’; but afterward he regretted it and went. “The man came to the second and said the same thing; and he answered, ‘I will, sir’; but he did not go. “Which of the two did the will of his father?” They said, “The first.” Jesus said to them, “Truly I say to you that the tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the kingdom of God before you.

I don't see why anyone would become a Catholic though. Unless you get a revelation or theophany that brings a testimony about it, but I haven't heard Catholics speak of that.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 05:06:46 PM »

Pretty cool. Too bad it will probably only last until she runs into a logical contradiction and reverts back to atheism.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
alanscott
Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2012, 08:54:44 AM »

Pretty cool. Too bad it will probably only last until she runs into a logical contradiction and reverts back to atheism.

I hear ya JamesR. Valid concern. While I cannot imagine being a true atheist (seems most illogical to me) for so many years I struggled with logical contradiction within Christianity. Only by God's Grace can I see past that.

Let us pray she does not back slide into that snare. 

Peace & Grace!

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »

Update- Leah Libresco was officially received two days ago:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unequallyyoked/2012/11/to-bring-him-back-with-a-twitch-upon-the-thread.html

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »

Gloria Dei!
minasoliman
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 12:32:21 PM »

St. Catherine of Alexandria and St. Augustine of Hippo, truly great saints.

alanscott
Elder

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 05:53:11 PM »

Awesome! Thanks for the update.

Let her influence now shine like a beacon of light.

A Slice Of Life

Jurisdiction: Uncharted Waters.

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »

It's been my personal experience that '' Internet atheists '' are actually pussy cats in real life and that their '' vids '' or '' input '' is nothing more than venting some long lingering angst from their teenage years.

The odd Atheist I've met who has a bit of dig about them, do tend to just be repeating directly from the latest anti god book they've read, which is again, frustrating as it doesn't lead to any profound insight or debate on their view point and what not.

I do feel that this phenomenon of Semi pro Youtube celebrity atheists is dying a death, as they are now on a continued loop to which they cannot escape.

Not that they are looking to escape you understand as the adsense money from Google makes their plight worth while. Wink

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: