OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 11:12:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thirsting for God: In a Land of Shallow Wells  (Read 1525 times) Average Rating: 0
izrima

Faith: Raised Catholic, Inquiring Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rome/OCA

« on: November 16, 2012, 01:30:46 PM »

I just read this book yesterday. I am curious to know what others think of it. I am not from a Protestant background, so for me it became a bit tiresome after a while since a lot of the book's mission seems to be in refuting Protestantism. I am specificially curious to know if former Protestants found this book to be useful, though, because I am considering giving it to my girlfriend, who is an evangelical.

So, a few questions:

1. What do people think of this book?
2. For Protestants and ex-Protestants, did you find it to be offensive or overly harsh at all?
3. For Protestants and ex-Protestants, did you find it to be effective in encouraging you to learn more about Orthodoxy?

As for my own review of it, I liked the first few chapters and then the last few on Mary and the saints. The chapters in the middle tended to be a bit repetitive and too focused on combatting Protestantism to be of much interest to me. It was interesting to see how Gallatin (the author) perceived Orthodoxy from his Protestant background. I am probably going to give it two stars on Goodreads.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »

I just read this book yesterday. I am curious to know what others think of it. I am not from a Protestant background, so for me it became a bit tiresome after a while since a lot of the book's mission seems to be in refuting Protestantism. I am specificially curious to know if former Protestants found this book to be useful, though, because I am considering giving it to my girlfriend, who is an evangelical.

So, a few questions:

1. What do people think of this book?
It's a terrible book. It was probably the single work that [undoubtedly unfairly] turned me against most evangelical convert-oriented literature. The “you can’t believe in the same God if you disagree about theology” line got old fast.

2. For Protestants and ex-Protestants, did you find it to be offensive or overly harsh at all?
I don’t know about harsh, but I found it uncharitable.

3. For Protestants and ex-Protestants, did you find it to be effective in encouraging you to learn more about Orthodoxy?
Nope. I read it because someone whose opinion I respected recommended it to me early on in my inquiry. It did encourage me to avoid things employing the “journey” metaphor for conversion.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
izrima

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 03:22:35 PM »

Oh boy. It is sounding like probably I shouldn't give her this book, then. I'm glad for this advice.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 03:57:55 PM »

Oh boy. It is sounding like probably I shouldn't give her this book, then. I'm glad for this advice.

Actually I found it to be a wonderful book and was really helpful to me when I was inquiring into Orthodoxy. I don't have it anymore since I gave it to our parish's library.

It was one of the very first books I read on Orthodoxy.

As for giving it to your GF, I'd hold off on that. If she wants to read something, there are other good things out there. This book seems more oriented towards those who are going to become Orthodox or already are.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:59:37 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 04:09:33 PM »

The Orthodox Way might be a better choice from what I am hearing.  Or Gillguist's "Becoming Orthodox."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
izrima

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 04:29:08 PM »

The Orthodox Way might be a better choice from what I am hearing.  Or Gillguist's "Becoming Orthodox."

Oh good--the Gillquist book is on my nightstand right now Smiley Hopefully I can get to it next week and see if that would be better for her. I've read Met. Kallistos's The Orthodox Church. You are now the second person on this site to personally recommend The Orthodox Way to me--methinks I should get around to it!

Thanks for your advice, too, Devin. She is still in university and quite busy with reading as it is, so I have to be sure that whatever book I give her will be eminently worth her time or else I might bungle an important moment.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 04:52:33 PM »

The Orthodox Way might be a better choice from what I am hearing.
Yes.
Or Gillguist's "Becoming Orthodox."
I read Fr. Peter’s book after making a decision to stop being such an a-hole about Conciliar Press, and — while I think it has some material weaknesses, largely due to the fact that it was written so soon after his conversion — it’s interesting as an autobiographical account. It works OK as a first glance at Orthodoxy, but due to the fact that it takes the form of the personal testimony it’s weak on the exposition of the faith.

Like I said, it’s an interesting look at the mechanics of a mass conversion, and it may get someone interested in more (and maybe that’s your goal), but I would hand someone Met. Kallistos’ The Orthodox Church and The Orthodox Way over rather than Fr. Peter’s book if we’re looking for an introduction to what Orthodoxy is about.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:53:19 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »

Another recommendation for The Orthodox Way.  I know a number of protestants who have read it and even if they weren't compelled to become Orthodox after reading it they said that it changed their perceptions of Orthodoxy and said it was very beautiful.  Good seeds to plant.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: