OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 10:19:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the doctrine of the Trinity pagan in origin?  (Read 2593 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2012, 03:21:15 PM »

Orthonorm you might preclude a lot of this stuff that's posted against you if you expressed yourself in a way that isn't so insensitive to others' positions which you essentially agree with.

I didn't start the fire.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2012, 03:27:27 PM »

Orthonorm you might preclude a lot of this stuff that's posted against you if you expressed yourself in a way that isn't so insensitive to others' positions which you essentially agree with.
+
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:28:18 PM by Severian » Logged

On hiatus from posting. Forgive me if my posts have lacked humility or tact. Note that some of my older posts -especially those prior to late 2012- may not reflect my current views. In the meantime, please pray for my sinful self as I am in a critical and unsure juncture in my life. Thank you.
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »

If Christianity copied paganism, wouldn't that just make us a different kind of pagan?

Everything is pagan , even Judaism and the OT.. The OT has a lot of copies in the Sumerian and Indian mythologies..

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 04:33:36 PM »

no, the pagans made some mistakes passing on the true worship of God that was handed down to them (via their fathers) from noah.
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2012, 04:41:47 PM »

no, the pagans made some mistakes passing on the true worship of God that was handed down to them (via their fathers) from noah.

noah is a mythological character.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »

God didn't change when He became

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2012, 06:01:49 PM »

The divine nature didn't change.

"Copiare il vero può essere una buona cosa, ma inventare il vero è meglio, molto meglio. "
-Giuseppe Verdi
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2012, 06:12:07 PM »

"Without Change" indicates that a new Subsistent Being (Ousia for some OO, Hypostasis for some OO and all EO) was not created upon the Incarnation; that is, the Logos became incarnate and was the incarnate Logos, rather than some hybrid thing or some mere individuated persona.

Now, the phrase "God became man" contains "became". To have become, something must be something now which it was not before; for God, this was human. So in that sense, The Logos is something now, or has something now, which he did not have or was not in the same way before.

The simple definition of change used by the Oxford dictionary is, "make or become different".

So...

Now, you could say, "He changed without change somehow." But this is sort of a meaningless statement, not because it is impossible for God (it isn't) but because that statement communicates nothing whatsoever. You could also say, "he changed in one way, but did not change in another way." That would be something, then, to talk about.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 06:18:36 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »

If God didn't change then that would mean He didn't really become human. End of story. God originally wasn't human since humans were created by Him. Therefore, by becoming human, God would have changed. If God didn't change then it would follow that He didn't really become human.

/circular deceptive Cartesian style argument outline

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2012, 10:41:40 PM »

Hey, that's not a good way to talk about OUR great great great great great times ?? grandfather. Sad

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2012, 10:48:43 PM »

If God didn't change then that would mean He didn't really become human. End of story. God originally wasn't human since humans were created by Him. Therefore, by becoming human, God would have changed. If God didn't change then it would follow that He didn't really become human.

/circular deceptive Cartesian style argument outline

Not contradicting - (just adding a pointer)
His human nature existed from the beginning.

Then YES, the WORD  **became** flesh. Which would indicate change.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2012, 06:22:19 AM »

If Christianity copied paganism, wouldn't that just make us a different kind of pagan?

Everything is pagan , even Judaism and the OT.. The OT has a lot of copies in the Sumerian and Indian mythologies..
We are all pagan, sweet!  Now I can pick anything I want instead of what's true.  I'm going for Viking Buddhist.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2012, 06:24:49 AM »

Grin

Oh, serious?

Cry
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2012, 10:50:01 AM »

One thing that keeps coming up in discussions about Christianity is the claim that the doctrine of the Trinity is of pagan origin. This claim is made by some Protestants, Jehovah's Witnesses, and even atheists. Can anyone point me to some *thorough* refutations of this?
How are you defining "pagan"?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2012, 05:05:54 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

. It is sorta the whole point of the Incarnation, knowing, changing. Anyhoo.

Yes, knowing and changing is part of the Incarnation, but I think you got it a bit backwards there smoothly moving in the wrong direction, it was about God changing HUMANS so we could know HIM, not Him changing so He could know us, as it is even written in the Gospels, "and [He] had no need that anyone should testify of man, for He knew what was in man."

stay blessed,
habte selassie
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:06:45 PM by HabteSelassie » Logged

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Tags: Trinity 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: