OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:12:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jesus prayer?  (Read 378 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: November 19, 2012, 05:44:10 AM »

Many in the early Church were gifted with tongues, but over time the gift became rarer. The problem was, quite simply, that if someone spoke in tongues, he would unintentionally take up all the spiritual space of the congregation as a whole, which would not derive the least profit from the gift. The best explanation for God’s gift of tongues to the early Church lies in the necessity of teaching newly-converted Christians to pray with their heart rather than just externally, as they were likely to have been used to doing. But the Church soon discovered a deeper way to educate the heart, for She was concerned to cultivate the inner man. She discovered the invocation of the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ. And little by little, the Prayer of the Heart replaced the gift of speaking in tongues.The Jesus Prayer is a way of praying in the spirit without losing any control of the spirit, and, therefore, without running the risk of usurping the space of the other members of the Body of Christ.
http://orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/on-the-gift-of-speaking-in-tongues.aspx

What is the benefit of practicing Jesus prayer? Why is it called as prayer of the heart?

I find that An Orthodox website teaches that Jesus prayer replaced one of the gift of Holy Spirit,e.g. speak in tongue? Do you agree with this teaching?    ( To me, this teaching seems a bit nonsense. How can the gift of Holy Spirit replace by something else? Can we replace the gift of healing,faith,prophescy, teaching,etc with something else? It seems not sensible....)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:09:30 AM by walter1234 » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »

Books have been written on this short prayer.  I, humbly express, my lack of understanding and knowledge on the subject, but have been very tempted to read some of the material on this.  I was advised early on to wait awhile before I delve into this and to be cautious when I do, so I have waited.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:46:18 AM »

An excellent introductory article, which may address some of your concerns and questions, is "The Power of the Name", by Bishop Kallistos Ware: http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Articles_files/Ware-Power%20of%20%20the%20Name.html

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 12:16:20 PM »

An excellent introductory article, which may address some of your concerns and questions, is "The Power of the Name", by Bishop Kallistos Ware: http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Articles_files/Ware-Power%20of%20%20the%20Name.html

Metropolitan  police

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »

Metropolitan  police

Oops! My mistake. He is still referred to as Bishop on the website I linked to.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:47:21 PM »

the Jesus prayer is probably the most powerfull short prayer in the world.it casts away demons and fears.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »

I'm not Orthodox but I use the Jesus Prayer everyday.  I do avoid any of the breathing/heart beat techniques.  I keep it simple and try to mean every word of it.

The Art of Prayer is a great book.

check out this site: http://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Jesus%20Prayer.html
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: