OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 20, 2014, 05:30:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Spirit (Scotch, Gin, etc.)  (Read 2426 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« on: November 15, 2012, 03:21:03 AM »

To date, as a result of quality and price, mostly price, my two favorites are both Scotch.  Glenlivet 12 year single malt is my current go to and I am also fond of Teachers Highland Cream blended.  I once had some Jim Beam Black (I think) which was nice.

I drink these neat.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:22:03 AM by Kerdy » Logged
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 04:50:46 AM »

To date, as a result of quality and price, mostly price, my two favorites are both Scotch.  Glenlivet 12 year single malt is my current go to and I am also fond of Teachers Highland Cream blended.  I once had some Jim Beam Black (I think) which was nice.

I drink these neat.

I'm a single malt fan. Not sure I have a single favourite, but it would probably be something like Jura or an Islay single malt like Bowmore. I have a bottle of Loch Lomond at home, which I've never tried but we brought back from holiday this year. I'm looking forward to testing it at Christmas.

I'm not a massive fan of blended whiskey, but Famous Grouse and their variant Black Grouse are reasonable. I can't bear Bells or Teachers.

Outside of Scotch, I'd have to say that my favourite spirits are Himbeergheist (like a Schnapps made from raspberries) and a good țuică (Romanian spirit made from plums).

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 08:14:15 AM »

I drink these neat.

I'm a single malt fan. Not sure I have a single favourite, but it would probably be something like Jura or an Islay single malt like Bowmore. I have a bottle of Loch Lomond at home, which I've never tried but we brought back from holiday this year. I'm looking forward to testing it at Christmas.

I'm not a massive fan of blended whiskey, but Famous Grouse and their variant Black Grouse are reasonable. I can't bear Bells or Teachers.

Outside of Scotch, I'd have to say that my favourite spirits are Himbeergheist (like a Schnapps made from raspberries) and a good țuică (Romanian spirit made from plums).

James

I'm a fairly newcomer to Scotch, which is why I started on a couple blended versions.  I'm sure as my tastes develop I will find new single malts I enjoy.  Glenlivet seems to be a popular standard among many fans of Scotch.  Laphroaig is not one I can drink at this time, I shy away from Islay Scotch for the time being.  I'll have to look into the others you mentioned.  FG isn't bad.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 09:11:10 AM »

I'm becoming a Scotch and Bourbon guy, myself. So far, my favorite single malt scotch is Highland Park 12. I like Glenlivet, too. But I usually drink Black Grouse or Famous Grouse because they taste great and are affordable. I'm still too weak for drinking 'em neat, so usually add a couple of ice cubes. As for Bourbons, I really enjoy Maker's Mark. In moderation, of course.  angel

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »

I'm fairly newbie with spirits but whiskey for me too. Laphroaig is the best that I've tasted.

jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:43:06 AM »

I'm becoming a Scotch and Bourbon guy, myself. So far, my favorite single malt scotch is Highland Park 12. I like Glenlivet, too. But I usually drink Black Grouse or Famous Grouse because they taste great and are affordable. I'm still too weak for drinking 'em neat, so usually add a couple of ice cubes. As for Bourbons, I really enjoy Maker's Mark. In moderation, of course.  angel

You'd have got short shrift from my Scottish aunt for putting ice in whiskey. A little flat water (not ice cold) or straight was the only way she'd serve it. I drink it straight as a result. Some people claim a touch of water improves the flavour. I've never been convinced.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »

Evan Williams Black Label.  The Black is surprisingly good for how inexpensive it is.  I always keep it around.  If I have a little extra cash though, I reach for the Woodford Reserve.  I guess its not too expensive, but both of those satisfy me just fine, so I dont see the need to spend even more on something super fancy.

For every other type of spirit, I just get whats cheapest*** as I am probably mixing it anyways.  Ive been known to have some bourbon neat, then turn around and have a cosmo with the wife.  Dont judge... Smiley

*** Unless its tequila. Then I try to get something a little nicer so I dont die.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 11:31:42 AM »

Vodka. Finlandia is king, in my opinion.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:50:27 PM »

I'm fairly newbie with spirits but whiskey for me too. Laphroaig is the best that I've tasted.

Have heard good things. It's at the top of my list to try next.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 01:01:42 PM »

Whiskey, and sometimes scotch.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »

You'd have got short shrift from my Scottish aunt for putting ice in whiskey. A little flat water (not ice cold) or straight was the only way she'd serve it. I drink it straight as a result. Some people claim a touch of water improves the flavour. I've never been convinced.

James

With all whiskys (and whiskeys), addition of very small amounts of water changes their chemistry (thus bouquet and flavor), often in most amazing ways. There really is not a perfect way to enjoy them.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 01:05:40 PM »

Have you tried Tito's Handmade Vodka? It is made in Austin, Texas and a truly delightful sipping spirit.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »

Have you tried Tito's Handmade Vodka? It is made in Austin, Texas and a truly delightful sipping spirit.

I will look into it, thanks!

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 05:11:10 PM »

If you're having a bad month, what's a good spirit?

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »

Does this count?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 11:17:44 PM »

Ouiske (Sotch, whisky)--Laphroaig, Caol Ila, JW Black Label (will crack open the Double Black after Christmas)

In the cocktail world, which I rarely visit, I like rusty nails (best with Chivas and Drambouie) and this one other cocktail which was unique--featuring lemon and cask-strength Laphroaig.

Cognac and brandy: Courvoisier, Georgian brandy, (Haven't tried Armenian yet)

B&B: Benedictine and Brandy (Cognac). Benedictine is pretty sweet on its own, but it's a distillation of herbs blended with brandy. Great on the rocks after a difficult day.

Grappa--a local variety from a vineyard I visited.

Ouzo, when I feel like it.

Bourbon, when nothing else is available.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 04:53:16 AM »

James

With all whiskys (and whiskeys), addition of very small amounts of water changes their chemistry (thus bouquet and flavor), often in most amazing ways. There really is not a perfect way to enjoy them.

There may not be a perfect way to enjoy them, but there are certainly bad ones - whiskey and irn bru, for instance (for those who don't know that's a weird bright orange soft drink from Scotland). I've tried whiskey with and without water and I've been unconvinced by the claims made, but if anyone else wants to add water that's fine with me, just please don't mix single malt with a soft drink,

James

Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »

Aberlour A'bunadh, Lagavulin, and Scapa are my favorite Scotches.  All three are radically different from each other.

For Burbon, Bookers is my favorite with Maker's Mark and Bulliet, with the latter being what I probably drink the most.

Martell Cordon Bleu is my favorite Cognac

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2012, 01:52:27 PM »

...just please don't mix single malt with a soft drink.

Or you're anathema!

Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 02:13:34 PM »

James

There may not be a perfect way to enjoy them, but there are certainly bad ones - whiskey and irn bru, for instance (for those who don't know that's a weird bright orange soft drink from Scotland). I've tried whiskey with and without water and I've been unconvinced by the claims made, but if anyone else wants to add water that's fine with me, just please don't mix single malt with a soft drink,

James

I prefer mine neat, but I have found that dropping in one small ice cube enhances the flavor just a tiny bit.  It doesnt make it too cold or water it down like it does on the rocks.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 07:04:04 AM »

I would like to try some different scotches, but at the considerable cost of some I have seen, I don't see it happening anytime soon.  I have a hard enough time paying $35 for a bottle.  At $80 plus, it can stay on the shelf.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 07:44:19 PM »

Does this count?

No.

When you get metal shards in your drink, it is an industrial accident, not a beverage.

spcasuncoast.org
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »

Drambuie tops the list. Bailey's comes next, together with its non-Gaelic cousin, Brandy Alexander.

The husband is a whisky buff, with Glenlivet and Glenfiddich among his favourites.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 08:56:39 AM »

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
stavros_388
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 08:58:21 AM »

Nice for camping trips, especially if it's cold and rainy.  Smiley

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 09:15:13 AM »

Very rarely drink alcohol, but spirit favourites include Bushmills Black Bush, Schnapps and a good vodka, but not at the same time. Certainly had some excellent local distilled spirits in Greece but generally prefer a cup of very weak black tea.

Mixed malts like Teachers and Bells are no good except as a topical antiseptic if you have nothing else to hand. Once gave a sick guinea pig - notoriously difficult to treat when ill - a dose of scotch and garlic, it recovered immediately. The vetinary said it recovered because it was frightened I going to give it a second dose!
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2013, 09:35:13 AM »

I once drank that out of test tubes.

Also vodka mixed with very cheap energy drink tastes surprisingly good.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 09:38:18 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2013, 10:36:24 AM »

...just please don't mix single malt with a soft drink.

Or you're anathema!

Unless it's a crappy single malt, like the cheap kinds that are less than 10 years old (i.e., the manufacturer is too embarrassed to put an age on the label).

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2013, 10:49:46 AM »

Chartreuse with a little ice and a little soda water.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »

Shocked

That's a bad, bad mix - even if your taste buds tell you otherwise!
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2013, 01:50:56 PM »

Do you have this over there in the States? It's pretty good with cola.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 01:56:25 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »

Brandy Benedictine, warmed, neat in a snifter w/ a fine Cuban Cuhiba............now that's living.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:32:20 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »

Outstanding, imho.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »

Shocked

That's a bad, bad mix - even if your taste buds tell you otherwise!

Indeed.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »

Another (it also mixes well with Irish Cream)...

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 04:21:52 PM »

Another (it also mixes well with Irish Cream)...

I like your taste.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »

I really like bourbon. I recently tried this whiskey, but the price is quite prohibitive to me:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=32046
Straight, of course. And sipping, no shots.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 05:23:55 PM »

I really like bourbon. I recently tried this whiskey, but the price is quite prohibitive to me:
http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=32046
Straight, of course. And sipping, no shots.

I agree. My flatmate drinks bourbon with ice. Ice kills everything.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »

I drink Irish Cream straight. My Dad's aunt would come back from the grave and kill me if I didn't.

spcasuncoast.org
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »

I keep my Bailey's in the fridge (naturally), so it doesn't even need ice. One single cube in my Drambuie is enough to chill it without diluting it.

Husband adds just a splash of cold water to his whisky, claiming it brings out the flavour.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »

I once drank that out of test tubes.

But have you ever mixed your vodka with red wine?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »

But have you ever mixed your vodka with red wine?

No. If I can help it I don't drink wine. Did you ever drink vodka with red wine?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:10:29 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 06:18:21 PM »

Yipes. Who does that?

spcasuncoast.org
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 06:29:41 PM »

Yipes. Who does that?

I insist that it isn't weird....people do it....

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 06:39:24 PM »

Yipes. Who does that?

I insist that it isn't weird....people do it....

Not me. You can if you want, but I'll skip it.

spcasuncoast.org
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: