Author Topic: No Shave November  (Read 518 times)

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
No Shave November
« on: November 14, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »
Is anyone else participating this year? I missed about a week before I realized it was that month.

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo
Re: No Shave November
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:19:48 PM »
Me.
"Who wants to be consistent? The dullard and the doctrinaire, the tedious people who carry out their principles to the bitter end of action, to the reductio ad absurdum of practice. Not I."
-Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 06:52:08 PM »
No.

Offline Ashman618

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:27:52 PM »
Shaving isn't one of my top list priorities anyway so what the heck I haven't shaved this month yet I don't think might as well

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 08:29:41 PM »
One reason TO shave.

Was disgusted by it when I heard about it from yuppie two years ago.

Immediately shaved.

This time of year, especially since I am hiking it a lot, I grow a beard.

If men menstruated, they would act a lot less like idiots.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:30:02 PM by orthonorm »
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline KBN1

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »
No Shave November is a thing?  What happened to a good old fashioned measuring contest?

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 04:32:45 AM »
Well I won't be shaving, that's for sure. I've had a beard since the summer (my wife finally gave in!) and I'm certainly not going to give her an opportunity to decide she preferred me without. I absolutely despise shaving (and that's the reason I grew the beard, not because I believe it to be more Orthodox).

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »
u are supposed to get people to sponsor u and then give the money to some charity.
unfortunately, after this, the beard is shaved off.
i got excited last year, thinking that beards were becoming fashionable, but then realised it was some charity publicity stunt.
 :(
i like beards!
especially on men.
 ;)
clever publicity stunt though, i can almost remember which charity it was for!

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Catholic
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 09:04:54 AM »
It's Movember. Movember is about raising money and awareness for prostate cancer. The beard goes, the moustache stays... correct? Or is this just a Canadian thing? I've never heard of No Shave November. Anyway, I now have a filthy little moustache as I've shaved everything but it. Pretty scary/silly looking. No money raising for me. Just an excuse to sport a stache for a short while (short enough to keep my marriage intact, hopefully). 
"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 10:27:44 AM »
It's Movember. Movember is about raising money and awareness for prostate cancer. The beard goes, the moustache stays... correct? Or is this just a Canadian thing? I've never heard of No Shave November. Anyway, I now have a filthy little moustache as I've shaved everything but it. Pretty scary/silly looking. No money raising for me. Just an excuse to sport a stache for a short while (short enough to keep my marriage intact, hopefully). 

Regardless, it is gay.

Menstruation compensation.
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »

Regardless, it is gay.

Whatever you say.
"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »

Movember is different from No Shave November. Movember is about growing a moustache for prostate cancer research and cure. No Shave November is just not shaving for the entire month of November.

No Shave November is a thing originating with college students and also some other younger adults. It can either be a competition to see how "manly" of a beard on can grow; or it can just be an excuse for the freedom to not shave for a while. Also, apparently some girls also participate, though this is sometimes in protest against their boyfriends or just as an excuse not to shave their legs or anything.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:43:42 AM by 88Devin12 »

Offline sheenj

• OC.net guru
  • St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Church
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 11:51:38 AM »

Regardless, it is gay.

You're just jealous cause your beards not as big as mine. ;)

Offline stavros_388

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »

Regardless, it is gay.

You're just jealous cause your beards not as big as mine. ;)

I confess... I sometimes suffer from beard envy, too.  :-[

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 01:04:47 PM »
I think i'd give up a bit of my "beard" (or ability to grow one) for hair on the top of my head. Seriously, I'm 24 and the top of my head is seriously thinned out. I'm sure if I grow my hair out on my head and face, I'd probably add 10-20 years onto my appearance.