OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 05:55:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbishop Tikhon elected Metropolitan of All American and Canada  (Read 2851 times) Average Rating: 0
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2012, 04:15:09 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean?

It could mean any number of things.  From the get-go, the most obvious is that the title for the Metropolitan of the OCA is "Your Beatitude", not "Your Eminence". 

Also though, Met. Evangelos may be used to calling all metropolitans "Your Eminence" since that is the official moniker of a metropolitan in the GOA. 

Who knows, but I could see why Fr. John would find it interesting. 

I would agree with the good Father on this - as Greeks refer to Metropolitans as 'eminences.' However, pointing it out by adding the little (sic) is the sort of thing that for many of us not in the OCA is akin to scratching fingernails on a chalkboard as I suspect that webpage editor took it as a slight - perhaps blissfully unaware of the Greek practice - or perhaps not. Regardless. This is the sort of silly business that needs to stop in the Church as it is petty - whether or not the Greek Bishop meant a slight or whether the editor took it that way or not. We ought to be grownups here and set an example - not act like bobbing heads on a political commentary show on the cable television.
ThePilgrim

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2012, 04:21:06 PM »

Forgive my ignorance, but what does that mean?

It could mean any number of things.  From the get-go, the most obvious is that the title for the Metropolitan of the OCA is "Your Beatitude", not "Your Eminence". 

Also though, Met. Evangelos may be used to calling all metropolitans "Your Eminence" since that is the official moniker of a metropolitan in the GOA. 

Who knows, but I could see why Fr. John would find it interesting. 

"Your Beatitude" is the title given to the head of an autocephalous Church.  "Your Eminence" is used for a metropolitan or archbishop who is not the primate of an autocephalous Church.

Since the Ecumenical Patriarchate does not recognize the autocephaly of the OCA, the Greek metropolitan said "Your Eminence."  The OCA, in response, put "(sic)" when they posted the letter, as if correcting an error.

I took it as good-natured teasing on both sides.

In Christ,
Fr. John
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 05:13:35 PM »

I just noticed that on the OCA's website, where it has Met. Tikhon's congratulatory greetings posted, there's a tiny bit of humor.  The Greek metropolitan of New Jersey addressed his letter to "Your Eminence," and the OCA added "(sic)" after it.

I had to wipe the tea out of my laptop.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: